Ripple release reference

Eamoe

Say I want to ripple-single-6 Mk-82s in CCRP mode on a column of 6 stationary armored units.

Which vehicle in the column should I set as SPI? The first, as in closest to me, or the gap in the middle of the column? How does this work?

By the way, does using this weapon, in this way and against such a target, even make any sense at all?

In any ripple release the target is the centre of the ripple. In this case you'd set no vehicle as SPI but instead the gap between vehicle 3 and 4. Or if you're me you'd put the CCIP pipper in between those two vehicles because CCRP with dumb bombs is no fun at all (and generally less accurate).

• Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Was wondering this myself last night!

Flying the Sunset Sierra mission and realized quickly that 4 passes to take out a nice column of artillery was just stupid!

Thanks for the tip P*Funk!

DCS World 2.0 Open Alpha | CPU Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz| Mobo ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO | RAM G.SKILL 32 GB | GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | PSU Corsair RM750i | OS Win 120 64-bit | TM Warthog HOTAS | TH Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 / TrackClip Pro & Oculus Rift | Monitor: Samsung U28D590D (3840 x 2160) |

That depends on how many you can carry.

Hah! Video's a good one. :)

P*Funk, thanks for the advice. I haven't had incredible success using dumb bombs against armored targets yet. Can you actually hit something dead with those or is it better to consider them as area effect/smooth targets weapons?

Using laser guided bombs, on the other hand, is incredibly accurate and always results in direct hits. But I feel like it doesn't really make sense to ripple-release LGBs anyway.

PS: sobek it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what your avatar actually is. Slackline!

Edited by Eamoe
Addendum

Its perfectly possible to kill armour with dumb bombs, the issue comes from accuracy, ie. one bomb is likely to miss. However if you pickle with your pipper on top of a tank in a ripple single 2 release you're quite likely to kill him.

The rule with bombing is the lower a release and higher dive angle the more accurate, the flatter a dive angle and higher release the less accurate. PGMs definitely make up for these deficiencies but like I said they're just no fun.

For softer targets obviously the kill radius becomes higher and then it becomes a matter of optimizing the delivery profile to meet maximum effect on target. In general bombing is bombing and whether its a Mk82 or a CBU-87 its all going by the same general logic.

Further reading:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99688

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117350

Thanks a lot for all the input.

I've discovered a dizzying new world of triangles in a SimHQ bombing guide... this definitely needs a lot of practical training. Anyway, if I get this well, and to sort of sum it up, you're close to good when, at roll out point, your target is:

• on PBIL, horizontally
  • halfway between the pipper and AOP, vertically

Of course it's more than just that, but if you get there at roll out, things look rather good. No?

the Andy Bush articles apply more to the A version. For the C version the 50:50 rule does not usually apply due to more complex minimum altitude and DTOF settings. I suggest you practice the 476th battle book patterns and their 82 TOF settings.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks a lot for all the input.

I've discovered a dizzying new world of triangles in a SimHQ bombing guide... this definitely needs a lot of practical training. Anyway, if I get this well, and to sort of sum it up, you're close to good when, at roll out point, your target is:

• on PBIL, horizontally
  • halfway between the pipper and AOP, vertically

Of course it's more than just that, but if you get there at roll out, things look rather good. No?

I'd say thats roughly what you're looking for. There are a lot of variables at work here though and those of us who're competent (massive Dr. Evil air quotes on that) came to it after a lot of practice. A lot of practice. I can't emphasize that enough. There are numbers in the Battle Book that tell you where to put your depressible pipper for use in confirming your position at track altitude but those should come later.

Read those two threads and start with working on your tip in. Battle Book numbers are for a target at 0 MSL so crank them higher based on what you're dropping on. Expect to suck. Expect to not know what you're doing. The skill also rusts quickly. I just went to the range a day ago with someone and I'd say that only one of four passes I did would've passed muster, and by that I mean passed criteria for not aborting it, nevermind being a pretty example of dive bombing. Worry about validating correct canopy references and being able to tip in to the right dive angle and with the target where you mentioned above, then move on to worrying about post tip in criteria.

This is though the reason we sim. Its a bottomless pit of potential, a skill you'll never master and can bang away at for years. Good luck. :thumbup:

Edited by P*Funk

Thanks guys.

This is though the reason we sim. Its a bottomless pit of potential, a skill you'll never master and can bang away at for years. Good luck. :thumbup:

Hah! So true.

I can't fly the real thing (not that I could if you let me sit in one) and DCS is probably the closest I'll ever get. But it's not only about dropping ordnance. I'm amazed that, today, with adequate will, anyone can actually know how these machines really work, in-depth. I mean back then, when I played sims on the Amiga, one could only dream about various stuff like, how do real life pilots actually lock on ground targets, what's the real course of action to fire up the engines, how do you properly navigate, select weapons, what does the HUD look like when you power the plane, all these things were secrets, in a way... I think it's amazing that we can see, understand and, somehow, experience these things in a form so close to reality.

And it ain't no decomissioned, historic plane either. She's still kickin' serious *ss!

That is, if you've mastered your bombing triangles... :joystick:

Terrible digression here, sorry.