JATO Blast

FishbedAce

Have you managed to read the manual yet? The DCS Mig21 manual is pretty good and pretty much covers all the operations of the module.

From Page 23:

The MiG-21BIS can be equipped with SPRD start rockets in order to shorten takeoff distance by increasing acceleration.

The SPRDs provide a thrust increase for about 7 seconds.

To enable the use of SPRD rockets, equip the aircraft with SPRD rockets (in the Mission Editor), turn on SPRD power and drop switches (RH51, RH50).

Start your takeoff run normally (at full afterburner): when your speed reaches about 120-150kmh, the SPRD will engage automatically.

You can engage it manually using the CV91 button, however, this is not recommended.

To drop (jettison) SPRD after takeoff, use the LH60 button.

It really is as simple as equip, turn on the two switches (under the DC Gen/Battery Switch and to the left of the AC Gen switch) and throttle up.

Once airborne, drop them by pressing the buton under the red cover on the throttle housing.

If you're not aware of the manual, you can find it on your pc by going here:

...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Doc

Edited by Buzzles

• 2 months later...

So the SPRD doesn't work if you rearm 'in game' with them? They must be added in the Mission Editor?

Maybe that's why they didn't work for me...?

Where is the SPRD Power switch? I've had the other two JATO Start & Jett switches on. But not this SPRD Power switch I don't think...

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

To engage the JATO system (auto mode):

1) Load the JATO system either in the mission editor, briefing screen or with ground crew (yes, ground crew works just fine).

2) Normal plane startup procedure or start mission with engine running

3) Activate the two JATO power switches on the right side of the cockpit just below the battery switch.

4) Takeoff, they will automatically fire at around 120-150km/h and should burn until a second or two after you leave the runway.

5) Jettison the pods using the flare/chaff button under the throttle slider

Important note, you must engage the two power switches prior to rolling down the runway in order to use auto mode. If you pass the auto ignite speed, then you can only use manual ignition (covered button on the instrument panel).

Edited by King_Hrothgar

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that all twice with no luck. Both times was in the Instant Action (Cold Start) mission. I had Ground Crew load the SPRD-99. I already had the JATO Start and Jett switches 'on' from my manual startup when the Ground Crew loaded them. The second time I did the same, but flipped the switched off then on after GC loaded them. That did not help.

They also do not drop when I click that jettision button under the throttle. Both times that I tried it they would not drop off.

I'll keep trying, but I am apparently missing something..

However, I did see an old video of manually starting them with that switch on the dash, so I'll try that too..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Hmm... well I just tried it in a 'Create Fast Mission' with it starting on the runway. Rearmed. Flipped the 2 switches. And it worked fine.

So, I'm not sure what was wrong with that Instant Action Cold Start mission..

Training, instant and campaign missions don't always get properly updated with the module. You might have stumbled upon some glitch. Creating fast mission for any test flights is the most safe option.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Don't turn on the JATO switches till you're fully armed, ready to go, sitting on the runway, that way you never need to worry about flipping them up too soon... they go off by themselves when you hit 130kph, and run out at 330-350kph , can jettison them over the runway, they don't have a collision model, so there's no risk of littering the runway.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]