Improving FPS

Hi all,

I recently got back to DCS World and I have a new computer now. On my old computer, I was able to do medium high settings and get decent playability in both offline and online situation. Computer specs of that computer were as follows:

GTX 460 (1 GB)

8 GB Ram

Quadcore processor at 3.5 GHz

My new computer can do offline decently but when ever I go online it is just a stutter fest. The specs of the new computer (a laptop) is as follows:

GTX 750M (2 GB)

16 GB Ram

Eight core processor at 2.4 GHz

I think that my processor is the bottleneck but not sure. Any help for improving performance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eagle

Edited by Stealth_Eagle

Hi! :)

I also had mikro-stutter and corrected it so that I overclocked the processor/unlocked (only 0.5 step) and set the power-level to "full".

Thus, the cores were all set to the same level and were not fluctuate constantly on. (damn google translate) :P

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X @ 4.7 MHz            Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX    Module: 64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR5 @ 3000        Video: RTX 4090 PALIT GameRock OC 24 GB

Monitor: SAMSUNG U28E590 @ 4K                      Other: HP Reverb G2 and WD Black SN850X                    The answers is ... 42!

Yeah more cores is never the answer with DCS - speed is what you need .... Unfortunately 2.4 is woefully sleepy for this game

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I just moved from a laptop with that video card to a tower desktop I built myself with a beefier video card and the difference is night and day. I went from max 30 fps to 90+ without vsync and a solid 60 fps with vsync on. Laptops by design compromise performance for portability, and DCS prefers less cores with higher clock speeds.

I just moved from a laptop with that video card to a tower desktop I built myself with a beefier video card and the difference is night and day. I went from max 30 fps to 90+ without vsync and a solid 60 fps with vsync on. Laptops by design compromise performance for portability, and DCS prefers less cores with higher clock speeds.

Now install all importent MODs and cry XD

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

make sure Multi-Monitor Configuration is unchecked in nvidia control panel.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I just picked up 15-18 FPS by looking at my NVIDIA control panel settings for

Manage 3D Settings,

Multi Display /Mixed GPU acceleration

Changed to SINGLE from multi

Seems it defaulted to multiple monitor mode. Set it to single and you'll pick up a few.

• Like 1

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I have played DCS on my sons Asus G73 ROG laptop with an i7 CPU @ 1.73GHz and a NV-460GTX-M 3GB and it beat my 2.4GHz i7 / NV 650GT-M 1GB in my MacBookPro retina.

It gained more fps in overall medium settings compared to a CPU almost 1GHz faster. Blame it on the slow 650 GT mobile, the CPU was not the limiter.

I had around 35-40 fps with the 1.73GHz vs. 25-30 fps on the MBP with lower settings.

Go figure, it's not as easy as it is sometimes told and sometimes a slower CPU in a better overall system can gain more fps than a slower one.

All above were at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 res.. Win7-64 ult and 16GB RAM in each, SSD in the MBP and a raid-0 in the Asus. Even with a slower HDD setup DCS was faster on the 1.73...strange but true...

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I just picked up 15-18 FPS by looking at my NVIDIA control panel settings for

Manage 3D Settings,

Multi Display /Mixed GPU acceleration

Changed to SINGLE from multi

Seems it defaulted to multiple monitor mode. Set it to single and you'll pick up a few.

This has more than doubled my frame rate. Wow. Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate that. Now, back on to relearning DCS aircraft for when I have time. Online play is so much smoother. Not perfect, but quite acceptable for what I desire. Thank you.

Cheers,

Eagle

Turn Threaded Optimisation to OFF as well (Don't leave it set on AUTO) ;)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"