only flying dora in the world ?

ctguy1955

Technically not a Dora but an Anton. But yes only original flying FW-190 in the world. There are other but unfortunately are not air worthy.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

There are 3 Airworthy FW-190 currently i know off.

One With an Original BMW-801 shown in the Video off the first post.

Another in Germany with an Russian Ash-82 Engine (Nearly the same as the BMW-801)

Also one is flying in the USA with an P&W Engine.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Just out of curiosity, if this is the only one, how does a pilot do a conversion to this?

What would the process entail?

Its usually a professional test pilot with many many MANY hours behind props and other high performance aircraft.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Is it true that the above plane is the ONLY flying

dora in the world ??????:pilotfly:

I could have sworn Paul Allen (of Microsoft) has a flying-condition D-13 in Everett, WA. To the best of my knowledge, it has BEEN flown (to prove it can), but is not STILL flown (because it's too rare to risk destroying)

I could have sworn Paul Allen (of Microsoft) has a flying-condition D-13 in Everett, WA. To the best of my knowledge, it has BEEN flown (to prove it can), but is not STILL flown (because it's too rare to risk destroying)

I don't think FHC Dora was flown, at least never read about it doing so. Certainly couldn't do it after the first, half-a$$ed, '70 restoration, while the second early 2000s one was already made with intention of bringing the plane to factory spec, but not to fly it.

Even if it wasn't such a rare bird, it's been years since the last ground engine runs were done, so bringing it up to actual flying condition would require some double-checks and overhaul of many systems. I'd say it falls into kinda-flyable-but-not-quite category.

There's still hope for flying D-9s though. Sort of. Lets wait and see what comes out of a few Allison-powered Flugwerk replicas being worked on.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, but am not sure, there are two Doras left in the world.

One is with the Champlin Fighter Museum in Arizona the other is with the Smithsonian.

Both are D-12s. Until a few years ago, they had swapped wings. Champlin's starts theirs but I don't know if it is in flying condition or if only the engine is in working order.

Like I said..........I think.

• ED Team

You are correct, same place as the A from the OP. They dont fly the D-13 because of how rare it is.

http://www.flyingheritage.com/

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Restored close to flying condition but never flown because of how rare it is.

A-5 in the original video not a Dora but maybe one day we will see one in the air ... replica or not. I'd love to see one of the 3rd parties make an A-3 or A-4 for some mid war engagements as more planes come online.

There are 3 Airworthy FW-190 currently i know off.

One With an Original BMW-801 shown in the Video off the first post.

I think Flugwerk made at first 5 of them, then more were ordered and I don't remember how much they built but finally some 8-9 I think. All of them are new ones, or ""restored"" remains (very few remains really) using the Flugwerk conversion to Chinese engine HS-7, a modern license build Shvetsov Ash-82. The model is called Fw-190A-8/N (N for "neubau", newly build) and got Werk nummern following last 190 built during WWII. But still they are newly build aircraft even though following blueprints, and they lacks some details, tanks sealing (so bigger tanks and more endurance), armor so they are lighter, and so that kind of things including a modern cockpit layout and systems.

The only real restored and with BMW801 engine flying in the world is FHC one.

No Doras, but AFAIK Flugwerk also planned a Dora build years ago, sadly no news yet of them airworthy. And of course it used a spare engine, may be Allison.

_2.jpg

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I think Flugwerk made at first 5 of them, then more were ordered and I don't remember how much they built but finally some 8-9 I think. All of them are new ones, or ""restored"" remains (very few remains really) using the Flugwerk conversion to Chinese engine HS-7, a modern license build Shvetsov Ash-82. The model is called Fw-190A-8/N (N for "neubau", newly build) and got Werk nummern following last 190 built during WWII. But still they are newly build aircraft even though following blueprints, and they lacks some details, tanks sealing (so bigger tanks and more endurance), armor so they are lighter, and so that kind of things including a modern cockpit layout and systems.

The only real restored and with BMW801 engine flying in the world is FHC one.

No Doras, but AFAIK Flugwerk also planned a Dora build years ago, sadly no news yet of them airworthy. And of course it used a spare engine, may be Allison.

_2.jpg

S!

They did build 20 FW 190-A/N kits, 16 are delivered, 2 of them are still at Flugwerk for spareparts and another 2 are still not finished. 3 of them are on static display in Museums or collections.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

They did build 20 FW 190-A/N kits, 16 are delivered, 2 of them are still at Flugwerk for spareparts and another 2 are still not finished. 3 of them are on static display in Museums or collections.
20!! Glad to hear that :thumbup:. I haven't had a chance yet to see one of them flying.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Absolutely awesome thread ... never was really into German WWII machines but those videos are very nice! Thank you!

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!