Low Frames on GTX 750Ti SC - Fixed

HeadHunter52

I could start MP at 40 or so frames, which drop to 35 or lower as I approached a town, and then down to 9 to 11 as things started happening.

To fix this, I turn off aliasing, cut everything to "low" in Options, reduced resolution dramatically. Basicly, took the thing down to minimums, and it was choppy when I need vision the most. Tried windowing it, even. Cut out all unneeded processes...

Turns out to be a setting in my NVidia control panel.

In "managed 3D settings", the "multiple display performance" option was selected. I changed it to "single, and now I can play at full res - 1920x1080. I start out at 62 - 64 frames, and drop to 40ish playing. I can get it even lower as the action builds, but it is PLAYABLE now. My card has a 128 bit bus, which I think rally stuffs it up but, without a different card and power supply, I'm not going to find a better answer.

So, those of you with minimal machines, be sure to check your NVIDIA settings in the driver for obvious whack-job selections. Sorry, can't help AMD users.....

Edited by HeadHunter52
  • Like 2

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

I've noticed that multiple displays is the default setting so anyone with a single screen should probably change it. Nice feedback on the performance gain.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks, SharpeXB. My noob contribution to the community.

Dogs of War Squadron

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

Also make sure the FSAA, AF and stuff are set to application.controlled.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I could start MP at 40 or so frames, which drop to 35 or lower as I approached a town, and then down to 9 to 11 as things started happening.

To fix this, I turn off aliasing, cut everything to "low" in Options, reduced resolution dramatically. Basicly, took the thing down to minimums, and it was choppy when I need vision the most. Tried windowing it, even. Cut out all unneeded processes...

Turns out to be a setting in my NVidia control panel.

In "managed 3D settings", the "multiple display performance" option was selected. I changed it to "single, and now I can play at full res - 1920x1080. I start out at 62 - 64 frames, and drop to 40ish playing. I can get it even lower as the action builds, but it is PLAYABLE now. My card has a 128 bit bus, which I think rally stuffs it up but, without a different card and power supply, I'm not going to find a better answer.

So, those of you with minimal machines, be sure to check your NVIDIA settings in the driver for obvious whack-job selections. Sorry, can't help AMD users.....

Nice Find, +1 Rep. Inbound for that one. Adding that info. to Mack's Quest for better FPS. would be an awesome (Potentially anyway) addition to our "Quest" for better frame rates. Take a look here.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Sweet! I actually helped someone! Good to be able to do that once in a while.

Thanks for the rep. :)

• Like 1

Dogs of War Squadron

I just watched the first 3 videos from Mack, and they are EXCELLENT. I'm not anAMD user, but he showed how DCS setting adjustments can help with micro stutter and frame rates.

Some of what he tested, I've already done. Going to try a few more, such as limiting shadows and tree distances.

Dogs of War Squadron

I made a few adjustments to the Options in-game settings.

Clutter to 0

Trees vis to 6000

Preload radius to 75000

Shadows to low.

All my tests are with the P-51D Instant Actions, "Free Light over Poti"

My method is to bank right and pitch down till I'm just right of city center, and pull up with a left bank to that I get a lot of ground filling my screen, buildings, trees, and some sky.

I starts at 63 FPS now.

Drop to 52 on approach and feet wet,

and stay above 42 and as high as 50 on over flight.

It's a bit of a let down to drop my preload radius, but I must keep in mind my system's limitations.

I run a 3.0ghz core 2 duo.... slow processor, and since DCS runs one core for game play, this hits me.

GTX 750Ti SC, which hates overclocking further, by the way. Based on Mack's studies and examples, screwing with the GPU doesn't help much anyway. CPU is the key, here.

6GB RAM, with 2 taken up by security camera software running concurrently.

I'm good where I am. Hope this helps.

Dogs of War Squadron

well... the Golden Rule usually, is to not run any other program in the background

DCS use two cores, one for the sim, the second for the sim sound; and your Operating System, plus anything else running, wants in there as well

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 2 weeks later...

NVIDIA DSR Increasing Performance

Firefox crashed, and blew my previous post all to pieces.... starting over. Grrrrrr

UPDATE:

In an effort to increase frame rates, and more importantly, object detection at a distance, I did some reading. My 1080 display is a lot better than the previous one, but pixels are pixels, and if something can not be resolved larger than 1 pixel, it may not appear. My search took me to NVIDIA's DSR, Precision X-16, Control Panel and weird results in DCS.

While studying articles on resolution I discovered DSR, Dynamic Super Resolution. Put simply, it is NVIDIA's method of simulating a much higher res screen, namely, 4K. What it does is simulate the higher res, and then "down-samples" it to your monitor's native resolution. By selecting DSR in the Global tab of NVIDIA's Control Panel, you gain access to resolutions higher than you normally have, if you are like me and have noob equipment. I hoped this might get my detection distance stretched a bit. It looks like it has. At one point, ShadowPlay was reporting 137 FPS before loading in MP. It dropped below 60 after that. Gremlins, I'm sure.

In my quest to retain quality, I played with other settings in NVIDIA CP and DCS Options. I took screen shots of CP for you to review. This combination is getting me over 60FPS (reported.... screen is only 60Hz) in SP, and 50ish in MP to start. FPS drops lower quickly, as usual, in MP (but they seem more constant and smoother, if that makes any sense.) I tried really maxing things out and discovered that MP loads your CPU. My issue isn't really with my GPU. Loaded up Precision X-16 and bumped my stock temp setting from 80c to 93c. Boost 2.0 is an overclocking method that relies on target temps as a limiter, rather than clock and power. Clock and power are automatically bumped up until the GPU is cooking at your set temp. I like the idea. After a hard session in MP, I quickly looked at my temps - 48c. Hardly even warm. This is how I came to believe my CPU is my biggest limiter - Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz. My card isn't being pushed hard enough by my CPU to really suffer. Too bad DCS runs on one core only.

The 3rd attachment shows where to find DSR if you've never seen it.

DCS Option settings are high for visible distance, and medium for textures.

CP3D1.thumb.PNG.f9e283d49f15c670e5d474724d8e146e.PNG

CP3D2.PNG.515f474b147a8f238c6030fddab37916.PNG

CPDSR.PNG.7b66567aff064c956947ebecb5a1c3cd.PNG

Edited by HeadHunter52
Updates

Dogs of War Squadron

UPDATE to the recent UPDATE::

GeForce Experience ShadowPlay failed on the recent settings. I had to remove it and reinstall. Good news is, it's fine after ward.

Running DSR on 2X.

Actually set MSAA to 8Q! Cleaned up the instruments quite a bit, to where I have no trouble reading them at all. I get some tearing, but it's not a deal breaker.

OOn the MP server list, my FPS shows about 138. It has to be a misreading, though, because in-game on MP, I'm pulling 33 on the field, 52 at 8000' and 25-30ish on a full guns blazing dive run on AAA emplacement at the enemy field.

The neat thing, contrary to what nay sayers say about DSR, I can see the gunners down there a lot earlier, and clearer. For the first time, I saw muzzle flashes from 3000 or so (guessing, since I wasn't looking at my altimeter.)

Dogs of War Squadron

UPDATE: Increased Visibility Range with DSR and MSAA 8Q

UPDATE re: visibility range with DSR and MSAA 8Q

Ran an MP mission against an airfield many miles away. Had a nice level flight to it. Since Tracks now work in MP,

- I was able to replay the flight and take advantage of the F3 flyby feature as a starting point for measurements.

- As the plane was parallel to the camera, I started a stopwatch.

- I then recorded various key events as the plane flew away.

- I recorded air speeds prior to the F3.

The first flyby was at 225 mph = 3.75 mpm = .0625 mps

The plane grew smaller and smaller, wings discernible from the fuselage. At the 31 second point, the plane, which was TINY, turned into a block 4X as large. It transformed into a black square. This 31 second point was 1.93 miles away.

I could see it grow smaller, and slowly turn to the left. I stopped watching at 90 seconds (at which point it was at 250 mph). Calculated at the original slower speed of 225, this visible plane was 5.625 miles away.

Hitting F3 again, now at 250 mph = 4.16 mpm = .0694 mps, the plane "blocked" out at 26 seconds, 1.8 miles away. I stopped watching at just 60 seconds, which placed the plane 4.16 miles away. It's not that it couldn't be seen, it's just that I was sold on these settings and growing tired of watching.

With my 1080 monitor, running DSR 2X and MSAA 8Q, I can see a prop plane against the sky out to just about 6 miles. This is, of course, against a blue sky. But the theory plays out - DSR took a vanishing act and turned it around.

Oh.... 35 to 52 FPS, too. Just a refresher, I run a basic nothing-special noob rig. HP workstation with Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz E8400 working with 6GB RAM, and an EVGA GTX-750Ti SC.

I'll be at 8GB by next week. Not sure if that will help things much, but I'm curious to see if my CPU anchor is in any way caused by a RAM deficiency. Without going to a new rig, I may try an SSD for the game and swap file.

Edited by HeadHunter52
  • Like 1

Dogs of War Squadron

Interesting catch HeadHunter!

Just few comments.

When writing larger posts I always use notepad app. Then copy-paste in browser. Browsers are not reliable.

RAM - It is easy to check if you have lack of RAM. Just check Performance tab in Windows Task Manager while flying.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I'm sitting here laughing, marluk. Been a victim of post-collapse before! I actually had a chunk of it copied to notepad before the crash. Slap to side of head, some repentance for my stoopid ways, and I do it right, now! :thumbup:

It does suck.

Shoulda thought of the task manager.... but the one thing I've leery of is switching aps while flying. Maybe because DCS crashed. Maybe because..... oh heck, I'll do it. ;)

I wish my board was Z79 or whatever-the-heck-it-is that OCers use. HP workstations BIOS are locked down. I read the E8400 can OC from 3.0 to near 4. Wouldn't that be nice!?

Then again, DCS running multi-threaded would be nice, too. Eagerly waiting for EDGE. This year, right? :music_whistling:

Dogs of War Squadron

Multimonitor thing was well known before and you can easy find info about that on our forum ;)

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I'm sitting here laughing, marluk. Been a victim of post-collapse before! I actually had a chunk of it copied to notepad before the crash. Slap to side of head, some repentance for my stoopid ways, and I do it right, now! :thumbup:

It does suck.

Shoulda thought of the task manager.... but the one thing I've leery of is switching aps while flying. Maybe because DCS crashed. Maybe because..... oh heck, I'll do it. ;)

I wish my board was Z79 or whatever-the-heck-it-is that OCers use. HP workstations BIOS are locked down. I read the E8400 can OC from 3.0 to near 4. Wouldn't that be nice!?

Then again, DCS running multi-threaded would be nice, too. Eagerly waiting for EDGE. This year, right? :music_whistling:

Maybe you can try Task Manager 'Always On Top' option in Option menu, so you don't need switching.

Actually I read somewhere that DCS is using some simple multi threading. One thread for sound and one for the rest of app. As you have two cores, that is more or less optimized.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

LOL

Noobid is as noobid does....

Some things can be found with good ole search, some by asking the same question for the 10,000th time....

and some by digging into to it yerself.

But I do appreciate what I manage to locate here. Good info. Some of it ports over to the little guys.

Dogs of War Squadron

Mac did a test (very thorough) on this subject not long ago.

Take a look here for more on this subject.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Yeah. I watched all of his vids on the subject. Excellent study. But my system is very limited compared to his. I had to play with what I thought were the best options regarding capabilities.

That said..... I did use the Task Manager panel and System Performance (Win7) last night. My findings...

Both CPU cores are close to max. Strange, since I thought only one core was for game play, and the other for sound. Couldn't imagine sound being quite so busy.

RAM was not maxed at any point.

Temps on my GPU are completely within normal and safe range. In fact, I never hear the fax spinning up to speed.

I would appear that my limitations are almost entirely in my CPU clocking at 3.0GHz. Unfortunately for me, there are no BIOS options in my HP business class workstation to overclock. Not ready for a MOBO /CPU upgrade, so.... I'm going to stick with DSR and 8Q MSAA. Visibility is much better with it. I just need to learn where to actually lOOk with TrackIR5 so that I have a correct focus.

Dogs of War Squadron

• 1 month later...

DSR 4 REAL

Hey, got a nice boost by playing around with the DSR as suggested. Enhanced anti-aliasing at 2x, and then any of the DSR settings seem to be good. Not sure I understand it, but hey I've got a nice smooth setup, and decent fps at a huge resolution. The future is now. EDGE this year 2015, or bust.

| A-10C | Ka-50 | F-86 | Mig-15 | P-51D |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
UPDATE to the recent UPDATE::

~

Running DSR on 2X.

Actually set MSAA to 8Q! Cleaned up the instruments quite a bit, to where I have no trouble reading them at all. I get some tearing, but it's not a deal breaker.

~

Turn Threaded Optimisation to OFF, it will clean them up even further :)

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"