Korean war radio navigation - some ideas for a mission.

vicx

I have been playing with the F86 and wondering how I would go about navigating without using the F10map.

How did they do it during the Korean War?

I found this PDF by the Aries Radio guys which mentions how the UHF radio might have been setup.

Has anyone made a mission that mods one of the Georgian airfields to be more like a Korean Era airbase that supports radio navigation like this?

I have been playing with the F86 and wondering how I would go about navigating without using the F10map.

How did they do it during the Korean War?

I found this PDF by the Aries Radio guys which mentions how the UHF radio might have been setup.

Has anyone made a mission that mods one of the Georgian airfields to be more like a Korean Era airbase that supports radio navigation like this?

This falls on the mission builders to make missions that require NDB integration or ground controller integration, aka, bad weather or reduced visibility. Most mission builders and flyers not associated with a sqaud who trains in IMC will play or build missions VFR only. Mods shouldn't be necessary for NDB navigation in the Sabre and under the tutorial thread at top is several videos on how to use the sabre NDB system.

Edited by f86enthusiast

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.

— Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in WWII

I have done more reading and used the radio and radio navigation in several aircraft now and it is a very interesting aspect of DCS.

I find radio navigation fairly simple but I suppose I was wondering all along what the Korean wartime situation involved in terms of beacons. How many fields were there and how many beacons and what did GCA involve.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a bit late, but I'll do my best to explain GCA. The system consisted of a radar set that was tuned to show where the aircraft was in relation to the runway in question. Using a screen at the GCA site, a dedicated GCA controller could see if the aircraft was to the left or right of centerline, and if he was too high, or low on the approach. The pilot checked in with the controller and was provided initial approach clearance, and then told there was no need to respond to anything the controller stated apart from a readback on the landing clearance.

The controller would then start talking the pilot to the ground. Things you would typically hear would be as follows,

"On slope"

"Left turn 5 degrees, correcting centerline nicely"

"Right turn 3 degrees, on centerline, on slope"

"Slightly above slope, increase rate of descent"

"Slope correcting nicely"

"On slope, on localizer, resume normal descent rate"

"Cleared to land runway 08, check gear down"

"Over runway threshold"

And at this point hopefully the pilot has seen the runway and can make the landing visually. I've done them in real life as a civil pilot flying into joint military/civil airports when the controllers needed practice. Very cool system, although we call it a Precision Approach Radar now, not a GCA. Using this system you could recover aircraft with very little onboard equipment.

Edited by justinm11
(grammar mistakes)