SU27 LDG HUD mode symbology

IvanK

Ahhh thank you.

However what is the datum?

What does the tick on the outside represent ?

Using it as an AOA scale on approach it seems very insensitive. It doesnt seem to move much with large AOA changes.

I would assume it represents something similar to the AOA Bracket on the F18 .... though it certainly doesn't behave anything like that ?

Edited by IvanK

Here's a reference with the values:

JaoWNYA.jpg

I'm inclined to think it's not intended for precise landing purposes but more useful as a quick AoA reference during tight maneuvers/combat.

(the Su-27SK manual may have more details about how it's used)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Great responses. Thank you. Given you only see the AOA scale in DCS in the landing config I cant be used as Quick general manoeuvring aid, which leads me to believe like Fox one that it is intended for Take off and Landing.

Bourrinopathe do you have a document reference to your graphic ?

The current AoA scale implementation may be a simple design decision from ED.

In the Su-27SK manual, the scale is also displayed in the "return" mode (ВОЗ - возврат).

In DCS, the scale is only displayed in two modes: landing (ПОС - посадка) and the basic navigation ("aerobatics-friendly") mode. ;)

Thanks for the links Fox One! The landing part with the HDD is intriguing.

@IvanK: I have no specific document for that picture. It's just a quick montage I made.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///