How to slow down?

I've been trying out the trainer (while waiting for Leatherneck to sort out the MiG-21 gunsight), and it is very clear that I have no idea how prop planes work in DCS.

How do you slow this thing down? It has no airbrakes, and it seems to happily fly at 200MPH at any manifold pressure. I found it pretty cavalier of the manual to claim that it's supposed to land at 90MPH...I can't seem to get it down below 150MPH with gear down, flaps down and after a series of sharp turns. Only comes down after I close the throttle completely and fly halfway down the runway. The prop pitch is set 4/5ths up.

So, what's the normal way of controlling speed for landing? Throttle? Pitch? Both? Am I supposed to fly half a mile with a closed throttle before I cross the threshold?

(I've seen some short approach landing videos, but can't seem to replicate what they're doing)

As I mentioned, flaps were fully down. Unless you mean one notch from no flaps.

That said, it didn't seem very effective at slowing me down. The manual also suggests slowing down to 165MPH before dropping full flaps, and there is no mention of flaps being mandatory before this. But how are you supposed to slow down in the first place?

Perform the following steps when preparing to land:

- Slow down to 170 mph before lowering the landing gear.

- When lowering the landing gear, make sure the control handle is DOWN and locked. Check the landing gear indicator lights. Be sure the hydraulic pressure returns to 100 PSI. Be prepared for the aircraft to feel nose-heavy when the gear is down. Adjust the pitch trim to compensate.

- Maintain approximately 150 IAS in the traffic pattern.

- Lower the flaps when turning on final approach and the airspeed is below 165 IAS.

- Once lined up on final and with the flaps lowered, maintain approximately 112-120 IAS.

- When sure of a correct landing approach, close the throttle.

- Just before getting to the runway, break the glide with a controlled flare and approach so as to land within the first third of the runway, in a 3-point attitude.

- Hold the aircraft in the 3-point attitude just above the runway until flying speed is lost and the plane sets down at approximately 90 mph.

Try setting RPM to 2700. Throttle all the way back and raised the nose. Once speed goes down lower the flaps all the way and lower the gear. Hope that helps.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Try setting RPM to 2700. Throttle all the way back and raised the nose. Once speed goes down lower the flaps all the way and lower the gear. Hope that helps.

I think I was trying to do this - maybe without closing the throttle completely. I'll have to retry.

On the other hand - perhaps I exaggerated in the original post. It does slow down...It's just that in Youtube videos people seem to able to land it "by the book" from a shallow dive. I line it up like a 747 and still end up at 150MPH crossing the threshold. Naturally, more practice needed.

More generally, if I need to alter my speed in level flight, should I be using the throttle or the pitch lever? Or both?

yes you need to setup a few miles out, as with any aircraft to do it proper... but as flying time is short for me these days i usually throw her around a bit ie. bank and pull and full rudder deflections do the job. That said I don't find the p-51 any harder to slow down than most aircraft, are you sure your on sim, not game mode (sorry if this is an insulting question just something to check).

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

More generally, if I need to alter my speed in level flight, should I be using the throttle or the pitch lever? Or both?

I mainly use throttle, pitch manipulation I save for when i really need specific performance, ie. max thrust or quick cooling...

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

If you use lower (say minimum) pitch angle your blades will almost cut through air straight forward and you will not slow down helped by the prop disk.

Also try making the boring pattern on landing a few times to see how the plane slows down, in what rate. It takes time to get it and also to have patience for a bit longer approach.

Chopping the throttle and doing some sharp turns will slow you down to a halt pretty soon. Try it in dogfight and you will learn how to slow down for landing :D .

When on final throttle up only after you got all out and you are slow enough (150mph), you will have time to see if the plane re-accelerates to quickly (usually is because you had too much altitude).

Basically, slow yourself down first... give yourself more time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

yes you need to setup a few miles out, as with any aircraft to do it proper... but as flying time is short for me these days i usually throw her around a bit ie. bank and pull and full rudder deflections do the job. That said I don't find the p-51 any harder to slow down than most aircraft, are you sure your on sim, not game mode (sorry if this is an insulting question just something to check).

+1

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Prop 100% Throttle 0. Go down to 200mph and drop your gear.

Also, get your approach right. If you are over 200mph over the runway, that means you need to go around and try again.

Also, if you need to slow down immediately, try doing break turns left and right :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Is pulling the throttle all the way back a wise thing to do in a p51d ?

I'd recommend planning the approach with anticipation, or if circling to land, use the turns to bleed speed. Also fwd slips are an excellent way of bleeding speed off...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I'd recommend planning the approach with anticipation, or if circling to land, use the turns to bleed speed. Also fwd slips are an excellent way of bleeding speed off...

I always approach with throttle closed. I feel that the plane is unstable with even a little bit of power

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Wouldn´t see why not - I also do my landings in the 109 and 190 with throttle closed.

I´ve read a german document from Messerschmitt which describes a landing technique for aircrafts with flaps.

It says to bring the aircraft down to about 300 / 350m and then aproach the runway with gliding speed - when you do so it suggests to cut the throttle all the way.

Tried this when I was struggling with landings in the Dora and by trying it this way I found it much more easier to land the Dora as well as the P51 (which by nature isn´t that hard to land in my opinion).

This technique is also working quite well in the 109 for me.

Sideslip to reduce speed

An other common way to loose speed, specially on final Aproach for landing, is Sideslip.

1) Apply full rudder (turning the nose away from the wind to keep runway better in view).

2) Roll the aircraft opposite of rudder deflection (cross controlled), with enough roll to counteract the heading change because of rudderdeflection.

Result;... Because of the airflow hitting the side of the Fuselage now, you create a lot of drag and because of that reduce youre speed.

It is not that comfortable to the passengers though, they wil be all leaning to one side:thumbup: .

But in a Mustang you are the only one.......so nobody is wining about it.

If you use lower (say minimum) pitch angle your blades will almost cut through air straight forward and you will not slow down helped by the prop disk.

Also try making the boring pattern on landing a few times to see how the plane slows down, in what rate. It takes time to get it and also to have patience for a bit longer approach.

Chopping the throttle and doing some sharp turns will slow you down to a halt pretty soon. Try it in dogfight and you will learn how to slow down for landing :D .

When on final throttle up only after you got all out and you are slow enough (150mph), you will have time to see if the plane re-accelerates to quickly (usually is because you had too much altitude).

Basically, slow yourself down first... give yourself more time.

So, I guess, what I was doing but with more confidence. I think starting DCS with the MiG-21 spoiled me with its instant response to the throttle...

Excellent point about the pitch, thank you.

EDIT: Seems like I nailed the approaches - now just need to figure out how not to veer off the runway in either direction and die at an embarrassing 30MPH...

Edited by Alexander Seil

As soon as you touch down, pull the stick back to lock the tailwheel and use rudder+toe brakes to stay straight. Pretty much same thing for all warbirds , give or take a few quirks. Careful you're not too fast and end up getting back into the air and stall though.

You should follow the traffic pattern when you approach an airfield to land.

It is described in the training campaign of the P-51D.

Try to follow the pattern. That is until you figure it all out and you know by experience your distance from the runway and the proper final path that you need to follow to land successfully.

Also proper round-out and hold off after passing the runway threshold help you slow the aircraft down to stall just inches above the runway.

335th_GREros

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]