Migrating to SSD

After years of procrastination and telling myself I will wait for DCS 2.0/EDGE I have bitten the bullet and ordered an SSD. I am now looking for advice on the best way to install this thing. It's a 250gb (samsung 850 evo) and I am planning on just putting DCS and Windows on it at first. So should I start from scratch and do a clean OS and DCS install or do some sort of transfer from my current HDD? Bearing in mind I have a pretty slow internet connection so re downloading all of DCS and windows will take a while, I happy to do it if it's worth it but is there another good way using all the data i already have on disk?

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

IMHO, if it has been a long time, more than a year, since you installed your OS, I would take the time to download anything you need.

Otherwise, there are plenty of free and payware cloning solutions that will do the job. I use Acronis, but it is far from free.

I do have to ask why you don't keep copies of the software you download, especially since you have a slow internet connection?

EDIT: Samsung's free cloning solution explanation/instructions and software link http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper11.html

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I used the afore mentioned Samsung tool to clone my sons HD when I moved him to a 850 SSD.

Takes 30min and done :=)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 3x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

IMHO, if it has been a long time, more than a year, since you installed your OS, I would take the time to download anything you need.

Otherwise, there are plenty of free and payware cloning solutions that will do the job. I use Acronis, but it is far from free.

I do have to ask why you don't keep copies of the software you download, especially since you have a slow internet connection?

EDIT: Samsung's free cloning solution explanation/instructions and software link http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper11.html

Thanks mate, yes its been 3+ years since i set this install up, i guess a fresh install is due. I will look into the tools you mentioned and see if it's going to help me.

PC:

Well after a week of turning the house and shed upside-down I cannot for the life of me find my original XP key, so I can't use my win7 upgrade disk for a fresh install. I refuse to give Microsoft any more money, so does anyone know a way to get around this problem and install the software I legally own but can't install? So my other option is just to migrate dcs to the ssd and keep everything else on the current hdd . I have now downloaded the current dcs world install so do I need to deactivate all modules before changing the dcs install to ssd? is there any slowing or conflicts having windows and dcs on different drives?

PC:

A program like Magical Jelly Bean can dig up the key for you on your current installation.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

MS offer a telephone activation service... at install/ activation, call the number shown, punch in the production key into through the phone and key the code given that into the slot and the activation screen

your current product key (at least for Windows7, I haven't used XP for so long I don't recall there) should show up on the system listing... Control Panel/ System

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"