PVI always seems to show tower's wind velocity x 0.66?

Rangoon

This seems pretty consistent so far across multiple missions. For example, the mission "Courrier" briefing reports wind at 8m/s, while the tower reports 9m/s. The PVI reports 6m/s. I don't mind the briefing being different, as conditions change. I don't even mind the PVI being different from the tower except that it always seems to be at the same ratio. The PVI seems to always (other than rounding) display about two-thirds what the tower says. Both are using meters-per-second units.

PVI wind is input by ground crew before the mission? Or where does it come from? And why is it always off by the same ratio from actual conditions (assuming tower is reporting actual conditions)?

I believe the PVI gets its measurement from Pitot & HADS (3 wings protruding from pitot). So it wouldn't be an exact measurement, but more of an educated guess by the computer.

As for why they are all different, I am guessing that most of it depends on the environment. The tower would be the most accurate being it is not moving around. So you can edit what's in the PVI to what direction and speed the tower is giving you.

Reaper6

Edited by Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

• ED Team

I've played 3 hours in a dynamic weather mission and the wind never changed direction or speed, and I was pretty close to a boundary between air masses. I'm speculating here, but the wind speed might be static; loaded into your system on preflight like your targets or ADA unit locations on the ABRIS. What exists at the time of start-up is what you get.

Not saying that's how the real Ka-50 is, but it might be a limitation of the game since dynamic weather was never a thing when BS1 first came out. The PVI wind speed display may never have been updated to function correctly with dynamic weather (assuming it is supposed to continuously compute such a value).

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I Just added 6 different dynamic weather systems and flew around. No change to wind dir/spd. So I am assuming it works like ABRIS. The data is entered thru ME. But you can edit values for each waypoint yourself once your in game. So I'm with Raptor, as far as I can tell it's static.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I Just added 6 different dynamic weather systems and flew around. No change to wind dir/spd. So I am assuming it works like ABRIS. The data is entered thru ME. But you can edit values for each waypoint yourself once your in game. So I'm with Raptor, as far as I can tell it's static.

Reaper6

Thanks, Reaper6. So what still seems odd is that it is so consistently a value that is two-thirds of the actual value (what the tower states). Why two-thirds? I've had missions where it was 9/6, 6/4, and 2/1 which I assume to be rounded from 1.33ish. It's not a conversion, since none of the sensible conversions to/from meters/second jive (mph, knots, kph, etc.). I mean if the wind just always happens to coincidentally pick up by 50% every time I get into the cockpit, then so be it. But it seems unlikely.

Curious.

The only other thing I can think of is that it may use this information for your targeting systems. Since the PVI is directly linked to your K041, it may use this information to adjust the HUD reticle for rockets and guns based off the wind speed and direction. Maybe try inputting 60+mph winds in the PVI and see where your rockets land?

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

It seems like that is what it does. I put no wind in the mission editor, then input winds from the left @50 in the PVI. It moves the rocket reticle to the left of the HUD. So I am assuming this is the purpose of this function.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

I would just leave it as loaded by ME and you should be fine.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

• ED Team

If I miss a target with a rocket...I guarantee it's not because of an error in the CCIP wind drift compensation. Even if I was that good, I would just use Kentucky windage and fire another instead of breaking off, adjusting my PVI wind setting, and reattacking.

:gun_sniper:

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head