slowly becoming my preferred ww2 module in DCS...

It's incredibly hard to beat the simplicity and ergonomics of the Dora.

Sure, the K-4 performs better, but the Dora is just more comfortable and enjoyable.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will have to agree with OP. Everything about this bird screams perfection. Those electrical switches feel as if I am driving a Mercedes.

Fw-190 was an engineering marvel. For instance, on Anton you could replace the whole engine in about 1h. With P-47 on the other hand, this was a 3 day job. :smartass:

Edited by T}{OR
spelling

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Those electrical switches feel as if I am driving a Mercedes.

Agree. I love the Fw 190. The cannons pack quite a punch and the cockpit layout is amazing. It just feels powerful.

I also prefer the gun sight over that of the P-51D.

Fighting in the Dora needs a bit more work though. The P-51D feels more nimble and I find it easier to fly the Mustang at her limits. The controls of the Dora feel a bit heavier but the roll rate and the powerful engine make up for that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Fighting in the Dora needs a bit more work though. The P-51D feels more nimble and I find it easier to fly the Mustang at her limits. The controls of the Dora feel a bit heavier but the roll rate and the powerful engine make up for that.

I disagree. In P-51 one always needs to check the gauges, temperatures in particular, and mess about with radiators, prop pitch and power settings. In Dora on the other hand, my view is hardly ever on gauges during combat. I have much more time for situational awareness and only need to adjust power settings & flaps when needed.

I do prefer the K-14 though.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I should have made clear that I was only talking about stick and rudder input. Yes, there is a lot more checking gauges and adjusting throttle in the Mustang but I just find it easier to fly her at the edge of the flight envelope. Maybe it's because I have two years of flying the Mustang prior to the D-9 and the K-4 but overall I find it easier to get the P-51 right to the edge without overdoing it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Slowly becoming my preferred ww2 module in DCS World.

The p51d is the one I prefer as an aircraft, but the Fw190 is so maneuverable and easy to fly, specially in combat, that it is progressively becomming my preferred fighter.

Yeahhhh, I love feeling how CG changes when you manage fuel correctly, I love feeling how roll rate and lightness changes and you get the real killer it was, a joy to fly, a wonderful machine :thumbup: . Also now with this really accurate model we can experience the real difference in flying an almost all automatic machine and how pilot work load matters. And that with a nice P-51, with auto mixture, auto supercharger and constant speed prop, the upcoming P-47 will be even worst with a really high engine management work load.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I disagree. In P-51 one always needs to check the gauges, temperatures in particular, and mess about with radiators, prop pitch and power settings. In Dora on the other hand, my view is hardly ever on gauges during combat. I have much more time for situational awareness and only need to adjust power settings & flaps when needed.

I do prefer the K-14 though.

I honestly don't find it all that complicated. I just full open the cooling on the Mustang, and throttle/prop control I can do without looking away from the sights (though I do have an advantage over the real plane as I have RPM mapped to a slider rather than a second lever).

I hate the pipper of the Mustang's gun sight though. The stupid pedals, or whatever you would call them, that form the ring around the sight are horribly ambiguous and just add to aiming error. They should have been replaced with a thin ring, or a cross.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I hate the pipper of the Mustang's gun sight though. The stupid pedals, or whatever you would call them, that form the ring around the sight are horribly ambiguous and just add to aiming error. They should have been replaced with a thin ring, or a cross.
And that's why you can use fixed sight instead of predicted one. I like to use them both together, fixed as reference and predicted as an aid.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

And that's why you can use fixed sight instead of predicted one. I like to use them both together, fixed as reference and predicted as an aid.

S!

Same here, ever since IL21946. Although lately I find myself using just the fixed sight to get a better feel for the shots under the nose.

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling the same as well. Been relearning the Dora after a long time off and really enjoying it.

Specially after trying the 2 other WWII planes. The K4 feels way too twitchy compared and the Mustang actually feels inferior.

Now if only they fixed the plane visibility, I could ditch the black dot labels mod and fly it in multiplayer. (Hint hint ED ;))

Edited by IonicRipper

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I realy like the gun sight if set up to correct range and wingspan its very easy to shot, i use the fixed as well as the gyro. But the fix sight i use just the little cross, turn off the whole circle thing, they work great togheter, and i never overheat today i flew 20min full throttle and even WEP, just full open rad manualy and reduse throttle in dives to cool off and never climb to steep.

I dont like the 109 because of the trim, kan only trim +2 so it hurts my hand having to push on my joystick all the time.

Edited by foxl

I'm starting to feel this way too.

I really like the available power. In both the engine and the cannons!

Really nice to fly once you stop smashing into the ground on takeoff and landing. :D

I am using no assists and I can honestly say that Ive tried 200 times to

take off and most of the time I crash. Not so much in single player, but

just about every time in multi player. Ive tried to vary the amount of

power and messed with my curves on the rudder and no matter what, I end

up with my left or right wing hitting the ground and I crash.

I can not tell you how frustrating this is as no other plane gives me

this trouble. ( well, the other german plane may, but I figured that

I need to master the Dora first )

Are you sure you're pulling your stick all the way back during initial takeoff run, until at least around 150 km/h ?

Are you using rudder pedals ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Some people simply find 190 to be the most difficult to TO, while others find 109 and even P-51.

ctguy1955, what power settings are you using on TO and can you share a track?

Edited by T}{OR

I had a lot of trouble at first too because I used landing flaps setting to take off like I did back in il2 1946.First check you are using take of flaps position 15 degrees or so.Than pull the stick back as soon as you start to taxi and use pedal brakes or keys assigned as pedal brakes to steer.I find the 109 is the most fun to take off.

Edited by otto

I have done tests to watch outside view to see when my back wheel leaves the ground

and it can happen pretty fast. I normally just pull the stick straight back, push my

brakes in, rev up to 25 and let go of the brakes.

I keep reading that I should just let the dora take off by itself. I practised again last

night for an hour or so and while I am sometimes ok, most of the time I crash.

I sent my X52 back to saitek (katz) and am now using a olod saitek X36F and X35T

and I know that I had better luck taking off with the X52, so that is why I keep

messing with curves and dead zones with the X36F but I really have no idea

of what Im doing. I keep thinking my rudder pedals are too sensitive and

try a 30 curve and nothing I do is helping.

I had problems with the P51 at first, but after much practice, I NEVER have any

problems now. So I would have thought I would be ok by now with the Dora as

I have spent so much time trying over and over. Its like Im not learning ?