Rudder no longer trims. Thank you ED!

Yes! I was going to mention about that, too.

Great option.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

In OB now. Please explain.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Srsly? Woohoo, great news! :thumbup:

Just the other day I trimmed the Black Shark rudder all over the place while testing something with Huey, Hip and Mi-8 all in the same mission. :smilewink:

(And I've always been to lazy to apply the unchain rudder from trim fix)

Yes. Many thanks him for his mod. Saved many lives. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I just checked the options for this, and it looks like rudder trimmer is unchecked by default. But the way this sim has traditionally handled, and the more realistic way, is with rudder trim? Seems like it should be checked by default. ED is forcing a change on some unsuspecting users here.

ED is forcing a change on some unsuspecting users here.

No big deal here, imho. It is documented in the changelog and, well, it is optional. So nobody is "forced" to anything. Worst what can happen is, you start a mission and the helo acts weired. Leave mission, change option, restart mission. Problem solved.

I'm also a big fan of this change that ED has made through us asking for. It's not a huge detriment to realism and doesn't permanently change anything for those not wanting the change.

I have no idea about the safety or if this is done but if I was designing a helicopter i'd like to have a decoupled trim or lock system to hold the pedals in place for cruise. Maybe thats what the trim is meant to be, I dont know.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I too like that this option is available. ED does a pretty good job of restraining their artistic license and keeping things realistic, while still providing us with useful but non-intrusive deviations.

I won't be using the option personally though. My procedures prevent me from ever being a stationary target, so I'll usually trim into a 50kph side slip or funnel while I engage targets. It's difficult to set up this flight profile properly at first, and takes serious SA of terrain, but it's extremely effective for evading fire. After you get your muscle memory used to trimming this profile, it takes seconds. Seems to take tank round probability of hit down below 10%.. and ATMs to 0. Anyone else use this method?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

It eludes me why someone would want to remove the rudder from the trimmer. You guys are using pedals I assume?

The thing is, nobody has force feedback pedals. Therefore you have to re-center the pedals - similar to what you do with your non-ffb joystick - and that results in a discrepancy between your pedal position and the virtual pedal position in 99% of the time. And if you now even use a FFB joystick, it can get really confusing (for me at least) with the hand/feet/eye coordination ... ;o). Also a point (again for me): even with a non-ffb stick, you can always see your RL stick position and your virtual cyclic position - and work out on the fly how to get the helo to do what you want it to do. But the pedals are just hard to see - in game and also IRL.

With rudder trim disabled, the positions IRL and in-game always match. Drawback: you have to keep the pressure up all the time - but that is only a minor nuisance imo as the Ka-50 does not rely that much on it as perhaps other helos.

If you trim rudder to maintain a funnel or sideslip for evasion purposes, having to hold the rudder pedals steady for a long period of time becomes more than a drawback. I compensate by using the (RCTRL+ENTER) Trim Overlay. If my rudder pedals are out of center after trim, I can clearly see it on the indicator. But again, I think it's nice to have the option available to turn it off for those who don't rely on rudder trim.

I too like that this option is available. ED does a pretty good job of restraining their artistic license and keeping things realistic, while still providing us with useful but non-intrusive deviations.

I won't be using the option personally though. My procedures prevent me from ever being a stationary target, so I'll usually trim into a 50kph side slip or funnel while I engage targets. It's difficult to set up this flight profile properly at first, and takes serious SA of terrain, but it's extremely effective for evading fire. After you get your muscle memory used to trimming this profile, it takes seconds. Seems to take tank round probability of hit down below 10%.. and ATMs to 0. Anyone else use this method?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

As far as I know, and my source is PeterP, in helicopters the pedals does not center by themselves like in fixed wing aircrafts.

The day I removed the centering spring from my pedals and used PeterP's trick my piloting skills were increased instantly.

Those who think that are flying the DCS ka-50 the proper way by letting the trimmer mess with the position of the pedals should be aware that are using the pedals in a way that isn't even close to what a real helicopter pilot actually does in real life and should reconsider their positions if 'realism' is the goal.

I've just tried the new option and it feels strangely satisfying to see the pedals stay where they are without automatics Z,X,Z,X's involved. Now the world we live in is a little better than before.:)

It is nice to finally see this added to the Kamov as it is such a brain drain to concentrate on the trimmed position of non FFB joysticks and Non FFB rudders.

This will allow a wider market to enjoy flying the Kamov.

Although I set up Thrustmasters target to allow both Trimmed and untrimmed rudders, I rarely used Trimmed rudders so this is very welcome.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 1 month later...
Just want to say thank you for giving player the option to remove rudder from the trim.

I know it's not the way the real bird behaves but it makes a simmer pilots life so much easier.

Well that explains why I have been having to use way more rudder to fly straight on course. I have not flown the Ka-50 in quite awhile until this past week. I was wondering what changed. Now I know. I fly the Shark like how I was taught in BS1 where I am constantly using the trimmer button; I have gotten used to flying it that way. Thanks for the post.

There is a YouTube video out there of a real life Russian helicopter pilot doing quals on a Russian aircraft carrier. The copter is not the Ka-50. In the video I can hear the constant clicking sound when the pilot is using the trimmer on every move bringing the copter on-board to land it.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...