Pay It Forward

FishbedAce

So just dropping by to see if I can get comments from everyone. Noobs all the way up to Veterans of the A-10C. What is one piece of useful knowledge/tips that you would pass forward to anyone learning to fly the bird and getting to know the systems?

These tutorials by Tigerpwrr are easy to follow. Most tutorials on DCS A10C are confusing as they assume you have TM Warthog and familiar with boat switch, coolie switch, curry switch etc. The tutorials below tell you which key to press on your keyboard.

Maverick missils part

V1IoF2xKBCI

c6b8-omBruE

25MgpCEe114

CBU 87/97 bombs part

tM4ePou3fKY

vdn9aHS9ZO0

and that GUN!

9OgA9suszYQ

Now go create chaos. :D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

My advice is learn to fly the plane, then learn the weapon systems on a range, then learn employment in combat. Focus on 1 thing at a time or it can be overwhelming. There is a reason real Hog drivers learn that way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can I give more than one?

- RTFM

- Make sure INS is fully aligned on the ground before you move the bird and before you switch from Ground to NAV (T = 4.0)

- Activate Bullseye display on HUD (CDU: wpt>anchor>hud on)

- Try not to stay heads down in sensors.. keep eyes out canopy as much as possible.. fully utilize the MK1 eyeball

- After first attack, switch to Z mark and slave TGP to waypoint (easy way to help situational awareness +distance/direction)

- RTFM

- Learn to use fully utilize TAD

- Learn to set SPI to TAD cursor

- When low altitude, scope out multiple egress points with terrain mask before ingress

- Use coolie down/long for quick DSMS look instead of switching pages

- Give Maverick a stable platform (I like to set AP.Path while down pitch and throttles back a bit to keep speed)

- Don't be afraid to wave off for another pass if it doesn't look pretty

- Never get shot down with chaff and flares still in the pod

- Also, don't forget to RTFM

Additional missions for training and practice:

Tank Busting 101

Live Fire Exercise

HOTAS Reference:

Spreadsheet here

WarthogHOTAS_Matrix.png

Edited by StrongHarm

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

DO NOT carry on a gun run/bomb release if you are not 100% positive of your ingress and egress. The amount of times I have been blown out of the sky because I did not fully asses the situation is countless.

Yes that is a nice shiny target in your TGP, Now look out through the glass and see what else is around :)

Never try to save time by doing a quick second run. Always egress fully and allow time to run in.

Two weeks ago, I didn't have a clue what anything in the cockpit does. Now I can start the thing, fly, takeoff, land easily, use HOTAS quite well, employ all the weapons, set up profiles, mess with CDU at basic level and know all the symbology on TGP, HUD, TAD and so on...

What I did:

• Read the manual (from the phone...on the toilet, really :D), but I think you can skip this one and just read the importnant stuff while needed, not read it like a novel. You'll forget half of the stuff anyway.
  • Printed this, seriously, it's helpful. I have it on my desk at all times. DO IT.
  • Looked at actual HOTAS configuration, sat down, grabbed a paper, and mapped ALL the buttons to my setup, because I don't have the TM WHog.
  • Downloaded some checklists, decided I don't like them and made my own. But you can use what you find just fine or go with the one in the manual. Having smartphone or tablet is helpful, better than alt-tabbing to look up something or printing 1000000 pages.
  • Did ALL the training missions, some twice if it wasn't clear for me.
  • Watched Bunyap's "on the range" videos on youtube, look him up.
  • Used manual, more videos and google to give me answers, alternatively just asked here...
  • Set up my own training mission with practice targets and flown everyday testing stuff, practicing maneuvers, more testing, etc...

Basically, I went step by step. Learned one thing and moved on when I knew I can do it from memory, more or less.

Edited by GeorgeLKMT
typos everywhere

Hey FishbedAce!

YouTube is your friend!

Check these guys out when your grounded...there is a wealth of info between these accounts!

Gerry Abbot: https://www.youtube.com/user/gerryabbott/videos

Matt Wagner:

https://www.youtube.com/user/wagmatt/videos

ralfidude:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfidude/videos

These guys have some great tutorials and its helped me understand a lot!

AND...Have fun wreaking havok!

:thumbup:

DCS World 2.0 Open Alpha | CPU Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz| Mobo ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO | RAM G.SKILL 32 GB | GPU ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | PSU Corsair RM750i | OS Win 120 64-bit | TM Warthog HOTAS | TH Cougar MFDs | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 / TrackClip Pro & Oculus Rift | Monitor: Samsung U28D590D (3840 x 2160) |

That's a matter of taste really Blooze. I myself have endeavored to never be a burden to any man... maybe it's my military background. Sure, I've learned a lot from other people, but by the time I was flying with other people I had completed subsystem familiarization to the point where I didn't have to say 'wait, what's a TVV again?' while talking to them. I didn't mind getting method and procedure from people, but I didn't want to ask anyone to teach the airframe to me. For me it went like this:

- Read full manual before first flight

- Subsystem familiarization and ramp start procedures

- Free flights with nav system familiarization

- ED SP Mission 'Weapons Training' several times for weapons familiarization

- Fully read the Manual again

- More 'Weapons Training'

- MP interaction and joined a squad

- Build missions that further close gaps in my personal training

- Use manual as reference and sometimes read it all the way through again simply because it rocks

I don't begrudge you trying to learn from others instead of taking the task into your own hands. I've answer many questions in TS and hold no disdain for those people.. well except for a guy who came into one of my servers and said 'Read the manual?.. you need to get a life if you read that thing.. I can figure this out myself, it's easy.. hey why engine switch not start engine?!'

BANHAMMER!

IMO learning an aircraft's systems and procedures without being involved with a coop multiplayer group to practice with is not only ignoring a vital aspect of one's training but also leaving out the most rewarding benefit of this sim.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

After you have a basic understanding of the A10C make it a priority to learn the CDU. It's does a lot of valuable things for you including making navigation home and finding targets a whole lot easier. It looks complicated, but once you learn it it simplifies things.

Oh, I forgot to add.. RTFM.

Can I give more than one?

- RTFM

- Make sure INS is fully aligned on the ground before you move the bird and before you switch from Ground to NAV (T = 4.0)

- Activate Bullseye display on HUD (CDU: wpt>anchor>hud on)

- Try not to stay heads down in sensors.. keep eyes out canopy as much as possible.. fully utilize the MK1 eyeball

- After first attack, switch to Z mark and slave TGP to waypoint (easy way to help situational awareness +distance/direction)

- RTFM

- Learn to use fully utilize TAD

- Learn to set SPI to TAD cursor

- When low altitude, scope out multiple egress points with terrain mask before ingress

- Use coolie down/long for quick DSMS look instead of switching pages

- Give Maverick a stable platform (I like to set AP.Path while down pitch and throttles back a bit to keep speed)

- Don't be afraid to wave off for another pass if it doesn't look pretty

- Never get shot down with chaff and flares still in the pod

- Also, don't forget to RTFM

Additional missions for training and practice:

Tank Busting 101

Live Fire Exercise

HOTAS Reference:

Spreadsheet here

WarthogHOTAS_Matrix.png

Edited by StrongHarm

The most important piece of knowledge for me was this: don't fight the air, use the air :D

It rapidly improved my flying. Flying is one thing, flying effectively is very different.

Understanding that made my attack and landing easier and more precise.

Oh yeah, and don't smoke weed while shooting your gun. Smoke weed while dropping JDAMs :)

Funny you should mention this, last night I had Swiss Toni around for dinner. I know he'd flown A-10's so I asked him. Swiss whats it like to fly an A-10... you know what he answered,

Well Paul flying the A-10 is like making love to a beautiful woman, treat her like a lady and if she has a manual then read it.....