Mixed Hardpoints for individual release

K4nnix

Hello MIG21 fellows..

The whole Last week i flew the Mig21 every day for long periods of time, have to say, it is by far the best plane on DCS World, very hard, very challanging and unforgiving..

One of the few things that disturb me in a little bit is that you can only release/launch rockets and bombs in pairs, having 4x FAB250 or 4x S24A/B is very limiting in multiplayer.. After googling some bit, i found the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSAJ5AAdhjs

He releases a single bomb of his two.. How does he do it ? After googling a while whitout an answer i checked the video again and saw something very special..

MIG21_BOMB.jpg

As we all know, Bombs release on Settings 1-2, 3-4 or 1-4

Having one Bomb on setting 1-2 and the second bomb on 3-4 allows you to drop them individual.. pretty cool ha ? kind of, because you cannot do it on DCS, is it a Bug ? I tested around a lot..

--------------------------------------------------------

1-2 = FAB250 + S24A

3-4 = FAB250 + S24A

Firing the S24's individual works fine for me, but having the bombs left like the scenario on the upper video, it won't release the bombs, neither it changes the pipper to Bombmode, it just stays in the middle of ASP

1-2 = FAB250 + EMPTY

3-4 = FAB250 + EMPTY

Same as above, can't go into Bombmode, neither release a bomb.

Tried multiple Times .. With FAB500+ 4xFAB100 on 1-2 where it drops the FAB500 and one FAB100, but after that having 3x FAB100 left, it wont release any of the left ones..

I even tried 1-2 = S24A + UB32 / 3-4 = S24B + 2xR60M's works perfectly fine for me. Seems like there is a problem with the Bomb release.. I really don't know if this should work with our 21Bis, I just saw this on the Video and I'm wondering if this needs to be improved or redone in the future..

Sidenote: If you unload all the S-5's on the UB32 the weight doesn't change

K4 out !

Thanks. Coming back to my first question, how do you know the weight does not change? Is there some kind of debug mode that shows the plane's current weight in flight? I've been looking for that for a while now.

No, just feeling ingame

UB-32-----------

rockets: 32

length × diameter: 2,080 × 481 mm

weight, empty: 103 kg

weight, loaded: 264 kg

aircraft: MiG-21,

There's no difference in flight behaviour between loaded 264kg and empty 103kg, but as soon as you jettison a single and empty UB32 (103kg) of your station, you feel a huge difference

Could be an updated Mig-21...?

It's Syrian airforce so I suppose it's quite likely that someone has changed something in there.

Although I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to drop bombs singly in this configuration.

The clamps that hold the bombs on the pylon receive the command to release when the pilot presses the release trigger, surely they would open regardless of whether it had a bomb on it or not?

Explanation would be appreciated.

It's Syrian airforce so I suppose it's quite likely that someone has changed something in there.

Although I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to drop bombs singly in this configuration.

The clamps that hold the bombs on the pylon receive the command to release when the pilot presses the release trigger, surely they would open regardless of whether it had a bomb on it or not?

Explanation would be appreciated.

As Cobra said, it was never intended to work such way. The MiG-21 from the assembly line is not able to do it this way, thats the product LNS delivered to us.

If you ask if it is possible, sure. You can also tune a Vespa to drive 140 km/h if you know what you do. So if you know what to mod feel free to pimp your 21 but it will not represent the thousands of MiG-21 that was in service. That's the point, it doesn't reflect the "real" MiG-21.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As Cobra said, it was never intended to work such way. The MiG-21 from the assembly line is not able to do it this way, thats the product LNS delivered to us.

If you ask if it is possible, sure. You can also tune a Vespa to drive 140 km/h if you know what you do. So if you know what to mod feel free to pimp your 21 but it will not represent the thousands of MiG-21 that was in service. That's the point, it doesn't reflect the "real" MiG-21.

Yes but why? Tuning a vespa is a matter of changing cam profiles, exhausts, crankshaft bearings, valve lift and so on.

Making a MiG-21 drop a bomb loaded on pylon 4 is a matter of what?

I don't know.

Why is it different to dropping a pair of bombs loaded on pylon 1 and 4?

I don't know that either.

If Cobra is sure that this isn't a capability possessed by the MiG-21 simulated then I presume that either he or Novak knows the answer to that question.

Yes,this is non standart,unusual but not impossible.For training flight with

bombing task,exist such mechanical thingy which can imitate second bomb

in pair(1-2 or 3-4).

Just now I have not much free time,but I try to explain something about

bombing system as soon as possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes but why? Tuning a vespa is a matter of changing cam profiles, exhausts, crankshaft bearings, valve lift and so on.

Making a MiG-21 drop a bomb loaded on pylon 4 is a matter of what?

I don't know.

Why is it different to dropping a pair of bombs loaded on pylon 1 and 4?

I don't know that either.

If Cobra is sure that this isn't a capability possessed by the MiG-21 simulated then I presume that either he or Novak knows the answer to that question.

Ok, if you want to know the exact detail we have to wait for an official answer but I would guess on electrical systems.

If you can convince the system to send the trigger impulse to only one pylon it would work. Maybe by manipulating the connections on the pylon selector knob. BTW I don't know if the MiG-21 uses an electrical Trigger so it's only a guess in the blind.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The thing why i wrote this.. I tried to do that with the bombs, it did not work, ok dont care, but ! why is it working if i split my S24's and UB16's that way, it works !! so i guess, if its not suppose to work with bombs, why is it working with other Weaponsystems ? well, i dont want to know why its possible or not, just telling the dev's that there might be something wrong..

but feel free to discuss some different stuff inhere..

Ok, if you want to know the exact detail we have to wait for an official answer but I would guess on electrical systems.

If you can convince the system to send the trigger impulse to only one pylon it would work. Maybe by manipulating the connections on the pylon selector knob. BTW I don't know if the MiG-21 uses an electrical Trigger so it's only a guess in the blind.

Thinking about it perhaps it's a case of the bomb on the rack completing an electrical circuit that's required to make the pylon do its thing.

Blind guesses as you say. I'd love to get an official answer I love to think about mechanical detail like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why some of you ask for some "modifications" that someone somewhere has done or tried... the aircraft modeled is of the certain type and it was made to operate in certain way... just accept it. That is part of the simulation of this aircraft.

No longer active in DCS...