As green as it gets: noob questions

For some reason, installing the FTRNoIR thing ruinued all my settings. Doesn't matter but it is weird. It added 2 profiles of that VJOY (virtual joystick thing) in my DCS and no views were available anymore. I reprogrammed the 'view slow' thingies but for now, I'm done with testing software. For me, it simply doesn't work, it messes things up badly. But yes, I'm a noob, and learning.

As an alternative to TrackIR (which is 150€ or more) I would recommend trying to build a Freetrack rig. It isn't so hard, just basic soldering required and there is a ton of tutorials out there (like this one: http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Building_a_Freetrack_Rig). I don't know how TrackIR feels, but Freetrack works really well for me and is really intuitive. Much fun garanteed and that only for like 20€ including a webcam (I use the microsoft vx-800). My experience with FacetrackNoIR has been that it is at best jittery and at worst completly unusable.

P.S.: For freetrack you'll also need to drop a couple of files into your DCS install. Look here for more: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=117933

For some reason, installing the FTRNoIR thing ruined all my settings. Doesn't matter but it is weird. It added 2 profiles of that VJOY (virtual joystick thing) in my DCS and no views were available anymore. I reprogrammed the 'view slow' thingies but for now, I'm done with testing software. For me, it simply doesn't work, it messes things up badly. But yes, I'm a noob, and learning.

i use ftnoir and not sure what exactly happened during your setup but in dcs it shows up as Track Ir for me and i set it in dcs the same way someone would who has actual track IR (and it works perfectly). The fact that you have some virtual joystick showing up tells me that something is not installed/setup correctly. do you have software that allows you to set up macros or something? That sounds like what you may be seeing in dcs NOT facetracknoir. also since you are setting up the wrong thing in dcs for view would be why its not working correctly. Try changing the settings for the column labeled as Track IR in DCS since that is actually what is controlling facetracknoir. After that then remove any of the keybindings you did in the virtual joystick column unless you are purposely wanting to use it for something. but definitely atleast remove any of the binding for the DCS view settings to the virtual joystick driver column.

Charlesnett Callsign - "Fisherman"

i use ftnoir and not sure what exactly happened during your setup but in dcs it shows up as Track Ir for me and i set it in dcs the same way someone would who has actual track IR (and it works perfectly). The fact that you have some virtual joystick showing up tells me that something is not installed/setup correctly. do you have software that allows you to set up macros or something? That sounds like what you may be seeing in dcs NOT facetracknoir. also since you are setting up the wrong thing in dcs for view would be why its not working correctly. Try changing the settings for the column labeled as Track IR in DCS since that is actually what is controlling facetracknoir. After that then remove any of the keybindings you did in the virtual joystick column unless you are purposely wanting to use it for something. but definitely atleast remove any of the binding for the DCS view settings to the virtual joystick driver column.

Hey thanks for the advice. But I don't have a column labeled Track IR in DCS, but I do got the VJOY column twice.

Anyways, it seems that it should work so I will remove every software this evening and try again. But:

1. is there a way to reset ALL controls in DCS to their default factory settings?

2. do I need the virtual joystick software that FaceTrackNoIr installs? I read some posts about it where people actually uninstall that software, although it comes with FaceTrackNoIr.

Hi, Another Noob here, not new to Sims but just got a new Pc after many years in the console wilderness, already got Track IR as im a member of an ARMA clan, my X-55 has just arrived, Thanks for all the tips in this thread, no need to start one of my own now!

Ill get a bit of offline practice under my belt then hope to see you all soon,

Cheers,

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

You are welcome ;-) I learned a lot from things in this thread also!

Hi, Another Noob here, not new to Sims but just got a new Pc after many years in the console wilderness, already got Track IR as im a member of an ARMA clan, my X-55 has just arrived, Thanks for all the tips in this thread, no need to start one of my own now!

Ill get a bit of offline practice under my belt then hope to see you all soon,

Cheers,

Rob.

I learned a lot from things in this thread also! But still, it is a steep learning curve and to be honest and I still need to tweak the settings voor video. And I'm quite curious for this EDGE thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The su 25 is fairly easy to fly, but complex to master the weapons.

The complex aircraft like the A10 stand alone you could easily spend many months mastering it. There is a simplified version contained within Flaming Cliffs 3 which has a similar (some people state exact) flight model to the stand alone A10.

This leads me to recommend that you map Alt+C which is the command to turn the clickable cockpit on and off and which allows the mouse to move the view around when turn off to a button on your stick. While you don't have track IR or any face tracking to move the view this is an essential button map. Map it to somewhere accessible. You will need to use it on any of the Non FC3 clickable pit planes.

Another button set to map is the left and right wheel breaks. This becomes essential if you decide to dive into either of the two German ww2 planes as rudder will not turn you alone on the ground, unlike the mustang.

Cost is relative to the amount of well spent time you will invest flying and having fun in sp or mp in whatever plane you choose. Every one of the planes has been re-created in almost loving detail and can be considered worth every penny once you count the amount of hours you will end up mastering it and hopefully having a lot of fun. It's less about getting them all as this has no advantage, unless you try and take on an f-15 in a Dora from long range. I don't discourage you not to get them all as each plane is re-created digitally for DCS is like stepping into the pit of the real thing.

However, there are regular sales through the year so if you fancy getting a load of planes or trying one of the more complex planes out it's certainly worth it.

The tf51 is a benchmark for the quality of the rest of the clickable pit planes and the easiest ww2 plane currently available to fly which by no means is a bad thing as even the mustang initially is hard to fly and land.

The sabre is a really good entry into the jet era as the pit is fairly easy to master and getting off the ground is simple, but remember to map the nose wheel steer button somewhere accessible or you're going to be ploughing fields pretty quickly.

Like Helos, you'll love the Huey which not only can fire a bunch of weapons but has the added challenge of carrying cargo. I really like the other helos, but it's almost like stepping into Vietnam. Put some fortunate son on and yeeehaaaw!

the ka-50 - which is enhanced by the HD cockpit pack found in the mod section seriously is really low jack in stock form as it is one of if not the oldest release of a dcs module in the game. But it's also the only helo that has modern digital weapons on it.

The Su27 and F15 both have professional level flight models with 6 dof (6 degrees of freedom) cockpits so are really great to fly. The others in FC3 are worth flying too. The mig 29 is a classic shape.

Not to mention that if you don't like what's on offer there are a few interesting planes in development plus a new map.

Pick your poison - http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/

Read the manuals for the planes you buy. While you don't have to, many of the planes are more complex than the free su25 to get off the ground. Luckily there is interactive training in the game for most planes as well.

Don't forget to turn labels on if you're having a tough time dogfighting as while you're learning it can be quite hard to find your target initially.

There are also loads of youtube videos which vary in degrees of help, if nothing they show the potential of the plane you keep planting into the grass and of course as you've seen people on the forums will attempt to help as best they can.

Have fun flying out there though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have some generic settings for the X55, I try to map all FC 33 planes and the Su25t alike. I also have specific maps for the Shark, the Mi8 and the Huey.. Give me a day to pack the diff.lua for them. If need be I can jump on Teamspeak and give you a hand.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

Hi all I'm new to flights sims since having played F22 Lightning 3 when I was 14 years old (I'm 23 now).

Just wanted to ask a few questions and collect some advice from y'all I hope that's alright!

My Sim equipment

- I have my old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. It doesn't seem ideal, and based on what I'm seeing here I plan to upgrade to an x-55 once I've qualified my interest in this series (by performing all the training for su-25t followed by A-10c - the only series I currently own).

Once I've got the new stick, it seems the TIR5 is in order, followed by some pedals perhaps. Once I'm happy with that I'll grab Flaming Cliffs if interested in the planes there.

Is this a reasonable route into the DCS world?

- Also, I am quite baffled by the aerial movements of the plane, it feels less responsive than F22L3 did, which is obviously due to the more realistic nature of this sim. Are there any flying guides for fast jet planes you could recommend? I don't care about the page length, in fact the more detail the better. I would soak it up fast (I studied law!)

- I'm a brit, just out of curiousity, is there any chance of bringing in modules of the Typhoon / Tornado in future? I'm also quite curious as to how a russian company (Eagle Dynamics) has been given license to so much information relating to a US aircraft (A10C specifically). I would have thought the US would try to keep it a little more classified.

Edited by Snakeb1te

Hello and welcome to DCS :)

- I have my old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. It doesn't seem ideal, and based on what I'm seeing here I plan to upgrade to an x-55 once I've qualified my interest in this series (by performing all the training for su-25t followed by A-10c - the only series I currently own).

Once I've got the new stick, it seems the TIR5 is in order, followed by some pedals perhaps. Once I'm happy with that I'll grab Flaming Cliffs if interested in the planes there.

Is this a reasonable route into the DCS world?

Sounds like a plan. I would go for the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog though if you can afford it. But that might be personal preference.

- Also, I am quite baffled by the aerial movements of the plane, it feels less responsive than F22L3 did, which is obviously due to the more realistic nature of this sim. Are there any flying guides for fast jet planes you could recommend? I don't care about the page length, in fact the more detail the better. I would soak it up fast (I studied law!)

Which plane is that? The Su-25/A-10C? Then bear in mind, that those are attack aircraft and not fighters.

- I'm a brit, just out of curiousity, is there any chance of bringing in modules of the Typhoon / Tornado in future? I'm also quite curious as to how a russian company (Eagle Dynamics) has been given license to so much information relating to a US aircraft (A10C specifically). I would have thought the US would try to keep it a little more classified.

About british aircraft: Check the VEAO-Forums: http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=207

They are a british independent 3rd party developer for DCS and focus on british aircraft. They indeed have the Typhoon (or Eurofighter how we call it ;)) in development and also plan to do the Tornado (my most favorite plane ever) in the future. They're also developing a military version of the Typhoon for the RAF.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not sure about the licensing of the A-10C but i do know that they typhoon is underway;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127100

First one under "DCS Jets" the * indicates that VEAO is under contract whit ED for this plane.

(and others indicated by an *)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

My Sim equipment

The FFB2 is still considered by many to be in the very top range of joysticks. For force feedback effects it definitely is.

I would suggest you keep the stick, get a CH throttle (or an equivalent), a track IR and some pedals.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hi all I'm new to flights sims since having played F22 Lightning 3 when I was 14 years old (I'm 23 now).

Just wanted to ask a few questions and collect some advice from y'all I hope that's alright!

My Sim equipment

Keep your joystick! Is one of the best even though is not built anymore since 10 years ago. Add a throttle a to it from the second hand market. Tune them up if you need using Leo Bodnar boards. The twist rudder of this joystick is prety ok for the begining and you'll have enough time to evaluate the need for a real rudder pedals.

X-55 have very mixt reviews and does not have Force feedback. As future plan might be safer to save money for a warthog if you are really serious about DCS.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

I appreciate the responses guys.

Great news regarding the Eurofighter (and even the Tornado) mod. I look forward to that whenever it comes out.

I didn't realise this joystick was still that good. It certainly doesn't have as many buttons/dials on it as some of the more expensive joysticks.

Yes with my joystick I can rudder turn, but it is a little difficult, and I've read around here that it can be challenging over time if you play without pedals.

Nevertheless, once I have gauged my interest in the series, I will check back with this forum for any pedal recommendations at that point.

Warthog seems to be the joystick most recommended, does it have force feedback? Having gotten used to that feature, I could not now play without it.

@ QuiGon: I am flying the Su25t for now, as the A10 is still beyond me at this point. What I was referring to was that F22 was far more 'arcade' and thus far easier to maneouvre. These sims are of a very high quality, and has shown me that I know nothing about flying! What I'm after are any guides or basic flying guides written either for real pilots or sim flyers. I want to understand as much as I can regarding terminology and flight maneouvres.

Edited by Snakeb1te

unfortunately it doesn't. As a fresh owner, I can attest it being the most accurate around the center without centering springs. The other equally reliable option is CH products. I spent 3 years with it as my main till the warthog came 2 months ago. Incredibly cooperative people and excellent after sale support. From Bob Church,Ghost, Revvin, Debby,... They even send you parts if your pots are twitchy.

Saitek, I have had unpleasant experience with it, the X-52. Don't know about X-55 but for its price, I'd say save to buy the hog. It is plug and play with DCS A-10C. It is sturdy, but it needs attention and care. Also needs lubrication and technical finesse on how to do it. If you do it wrong, its bye bye... CH is more tolerant, but its a pot, not a hall effect sensor, which explains why the centering spring could be my gripe with it (I wouldn't even call it a gripe). You can absolutely remove the springs from their rudder (like in UH-1H) or the stick, or both.

I also recommend CH pro pedals. I just had mine opened up and cleaned. Its a tedious task to unscrew 16 base screws, run a blower, a brush, then put it back together to discover the pot is not catching its latch (:/) Totally my fault. Some people would recommend saitek combat pedals, but their rationale is the inter-pedal distance is larger with saitek, in CH, it is narrower, meaning your thighs (if they are coarse), would rub each other most of the time with CH, but this did not happen to me.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I have had the Warthog for well over 2 years now, and absolutely love it. Have never found a need to grease it either, I know some do and find it really benefits, but mine seems smooth as the day I got it. Absolutely love the power and versatility of the TARGET software for programming the Warthog.

I have the Saitek Combat Pedals, and like them pretty good. Have had them for over probably close to 2 years now, still doing well. However, got my eye on a set of the MFG Crosswinds, they will be my next set of pedals for sure. Just need an excuse to get them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Welcome my friend.

I am usinjg an older Microsoft Force Feedback 2, a really good stick to start with and has a very precise twist handle.

Track IR5 also changed my flight sim experience forever. I can NOT fly without it.

What a great time to pick up DCS, the new graphics engine is due out this month !!!!!

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

I have my old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. It doesn't seem ideal, and based on what I'm seeing here I plan to upgrade to an x-55 once I've qualified my interest in this series (by performing all the training for su-25t followed by A-10c - the only series I currently own).

Keep the stick for now, go for the TIR instead. The FFB is very good plus the game lets you use shift keys. Set the 4 on the base as shift keys and used in combinations (I think you can have more than 2 shifts pushed in combination), you'll have either 122 possible button inputs (if the hat is a 4 way hat) or 154 (if it's an 8 way hat).

The FFB2 only has two weaknessed in my opinion. Button count and twist rudder resolution. Both can be fixed with a USB joystick board from Leo Bodnar. You can use it to support extra buttons added to the stick and rewire the rudder potentiometer to it for much MUCH higher resolution!

One issue, which could apply to any stick but is more of a concern with FFB2 being that it's an old stick and people generally get them s/h, is how do you know it's working as well as it should be?

I've bought two FFB2 (plan to mod them together one day with an curved extended shaft) and whilst I enjoy flying with it, I have no way of knowing if the motors or pots are working as well as they should be, or if one or the other is worn out and it's less precise and I'm getting a worse experience than other owners are having. I'd need someone with extensive knowledge of the FFB2 to come and try it to tell me if it needs an overhaul or not.

I'm probably just groping for excuses for my lousy flying skills though ;)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

@ QuiGon: I am flying the Su25t for now, as the A10 is still beyond me at this point. What I was referring to was that F22 was far more 'arcade' and thus far easier to maneouvre. These sims are of a very high quality, and has shown me that I know nothing about flying! What I'm after are any guides or basic flying guides written either for real pilots or sim flyers. I want to understand as much as I can regarding terminology and flight maneouvres.

Some pointers on flying the SU-25T,

For take-off set flaps one notch down

Start pulling the stick at about 270 to 290 km/h (russian birds use the metric system)

From 300 to 330 km/h you should start getting airborne, once you notice you are climbing retract the gear, retract flaps at around 400 km/h.

For normal flight i consider it a good thing to have my airspeed between 500 and 700 km/h, depending on load out.

Try not to drop below 450 km/h during manouvres

For landing slow down to about 400 km/h and set flaps one notch down.

Keep slowing down and align whit the runway, give yourself plenty of distance to line up in the beginning.

At around 350 km/h deploy landing gear and set flaps to the full down position.

Keep slowing down to about 300 km/h, just before you are over the runway start slowing down again, keep moving the throttle back gradually until your in idle, at this point you should be about to touch down whit an airspeed of between 270 to 290 km/h.

The SU-25T has parachutes in the back to help slow you down. Make sure to have your throttle at idle when you deploy them or they will be blown off.

That's it pretty much. Also, all the above speeds are just rough indications, conditions may vary and whit that the speeds will to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What an exemplary community. Though I will not be able to contribute anything to you, I would like to thank you very much.

I would just like to add that there's a lot of joystick jargon flying about (no pun int-- ahh who am I kidding).

So the general concensus is hold on to my FFB2 till I have the trackr. After some time in DCS I could consider an upgrade to warthog stick. (By the way I hope this stick is just as great for other sims as well, flaming cliffs and Ka50 for example).

I know nothing about joystick maintenance, but I presume if I treat it well I should get a fair few years out of it without issue.

Finally, I will grab some pedals as well, but that will probably be at the same time as the warthog. That's at least 200 flight hours away though (gotta earn it), so I'll check back then with you guys to see what you recommend closer to that date.

@ Random: I have no idea about the joystick board from L.Bodnar. Could you provide a link?

@ 159th Falcon: Thanks for the tips.

But thanks to all you guys.

For the Bodnar boards have a look here;

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94&zenid=56b08f21b250f8b60f631442759bc598

Basicly they are joystick controllers without any hardware attached.

This allows you to connect push buttons, switches, potentiometers (as axis i believe) to it yourself.

Which you can then bind ingame like a regular joystick.

Some DIY handywork is required though.

Have a look here to see the possibilities of stuff like this, and hope you don't get infected whit the simpit virus yourself.:D

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=101

About the joystick's, i have had my X52 since Black Shark first came out and still working as new.

Never did any real maintenance on it.

And i think its fair to expect the same thing from other joysticks, specially the HOTAS Warthog whit its rather hefty price tag.

(Hands On Throttle And Stick)

Edited by 159th_Falcon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, I would recommend you get the Track IR (or a similar head tracking solution) before you get the pedals. As others have noted apart from the HOTAS, TrackIR is probably the most important sim peripheral you need.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.