Sapphire radar optimal usage

WildBillKelsoe

I find it hard to track targets with AOT > 90°. What do you think?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I mean a traversing target could escape the search but a head on or away from target is more of solid presence on the radar

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The Mig-21 is to use with EWR radar. Using the radar for search is a non sense. This radar is for search and engage interception using a ground radar.

Set a EWR and this will say you where is the enemy and use the radar in the very last moment before engage.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do not use radar for search, unless you are in an old fashion scenario where your mig21 is the best plane. Consider AI to have better SA than god.

If you are flying in MP environment with F15/MIG/Sukkhois, the only mean of detection you have are :

RWR (don't neglect it, well used it can be great tool).

Mark.1 Eyeball

Remember four thing and you'll be successful in MP :

Unless vectored by GCI/AWACS, against identified bombers, the radar shall be considered as a part of the firing system, not detection tool.

Sapphire sucks more than you can even think.

Mig-21 is a f**** stealth fighter. If you know how radars works, you'll know how to avoid it. I often flew to the ennemi base on populated servers - having shitty eyes I did not found anyone, but no F15 found me either.

you make use of what you have.

awacs/gci isn't usually available on populated multiplayer servers on dcs so consider that something you don't have, and because of the LOD in dcs, using the mk.1 eyeball isn't nearly as efficiant, and isn't going to find you nearly as many targets as the radar will...

therefor, at least in DCS, Radar is a search tool, you learn how to keep the beam exactly where you want it so you're not extremely visible because of it, like how submarine crews learn when to use a parascope, and how far to raise it above the water to keep its visibility down... just look at my forum sig, go to my youtube channel and watch my videos to learn when and how to use the radar in actual multiplayer servers.

in fact, I usually use IR missiles, use my radar to find a target, then shut my radar off once I've visually spotted the target, and sneak in behind, I'm sure if you asked, you could get some testimonials from people on the 104th, but my youtube channel should be evidence enough.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]