Does the engine die much faster with the new patch?

taps

Yes, need to be more careful with temps now. Another step to right direction. :thumbup:

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK you should only fly at 1.8ATA with MW50 otherwise you risk destroying the engine rather quickly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

I flew around in the Bf 109 for about 30minutes just now and unless I'm doing something the engine is not supposed to do in the first place (like flying at 1.8ATA w/o MW 50) and watch my temps it was perfectly fine.

I started out by climbing to 6000m at ~270km/h IAS, 1.35ATA. I then accelerated to 450km/h IAS. Flew around for about 5 more minutes before I engaged MW 50 and firewalled the throttle. Flew around for another ~5mins at 1.8ATA & MW 50 before reducing throttle to cruise settings and starting a descend. At 1000m I stopped and started flying maneuvers at 1.35-1.41ATA. Still no problems. Went ahead and flew at 1.8ATA for a couple of maneuvers at low and high speed. Temperatures were high but still ok.

Now I decided to turn MW 50 off, et voila, after a few moments my engine died ...

Edit: Repeated this with a fresh aircraft a couple of times and I can confirm that 1.8ATA without MW50 kills your engine. With MW 50 it's totally fine even at low speeds if you watch your temperatures

Edited by Derbysieger
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Also kept killing my engine and didn't know why at first, but then I noticed that the MW50 Boost switch is now off by default, and that even when it's turned on, MW50 doesn't seem to be working, or at least the MW50 pressure (or is it concentration?) gauge reads it at 0.

The engine seems to be behaving fine, if it didn't have MW50. But it should have, and I don't know why I can't turn on MW50.

Also kept killing my engine and didn't know why at first, but then I noticed that the MW50 Boost switch is now off by default, and that even when it's turned on, MW50 doesn't seem to be working, or at least the MW50 pressure (or is it concentration?) gauge reads it at 0.

The engine seems to be behaving fine, if it didn't have MW50. But it should have, and I don't know why I can't turn on MW50.

Even with the MW50 switch on, you have to push the throttle quite far forward (to > 1.8 ATA) before MW50 system actually kicks in.

Also, don't forget to turn the system on via the circuit breaker panel!

Even with the MW50 switch on, you have to push the throttle quite far forward (to > 1.8 ATA) before MW50 system actually kicks in.

Also, don't forget to turn the system on via the circuit breaker panel!

I know, and it was going (relatively slowly) to 1.8 ATA... which would kill the engine since even then MW50 was not activating. :huh:

All circuit breaker panel's buttons were pushed on.

EDIT: To be sure, I checked the mission editor and it's using MW50 by default in the "MW50/Fuel Tank Contents" option, so it's not that either.

I first noticed this issue while dogfighting a friend's P51D, and then also on the default "Dogfight" mission (vs AI P51D).

Edited by Joao611

MW 50 works just fine on my end. I tested the instant action Dogfight as well as a training mission I build for my squadron. Are you sure you didn't forget something?

BTW there is a new effect when you reduce throttle from 1.8ATA to 1.45ATA. There is vapour or smoke comming from the engine exhaust when you throttle back.

MW 50 works just fine on my end. I tested the instant action Dogfight as well as a training mission I build for my squadron. Are you sure you didn't forget something?

BTW there is a new effect when you reduce throttle from 1.8ATA to 1.45ATA. There is vapour or smoke comming from the engine exhaust when you throttle back.

Yes, I also noticed some smoke for just a few frames at least once, but I was looking to my cockpit to try to get MW50 working, didn't look back nor went 3rd person to check it.

EDIT: Checked in 3rd person, the smoke is there all the time I go to 1.8ATA. Since you said it only occurs when throttling back, maybe the smoke is a result of having throttle on WEP without MW50?

Edited by Joao611

My MW 50 is definitely working. Pressure on the MW50 pressure gauge jumps up when I go full throttle and when I go to 1.8 ATA without MW50 my engine quickly dies. So yeah might be a result of flying the engine without MW 50

Edited by Derbysieger

• ED Team
Yes, I also noticed some smoke for just a few frames at least once, but I was looking to my cockpit to try to get MW50 working, didn't look back nor went 3rd person to check it.

EDIT: Checked in 3rd person, the smoke is there all the time I go to 1.8ATA. Since you said it only occurs when throttling back, maybe the smoke is a result of having throttle on WEP without MW50?

Smoke is a sign of detonation. The effect is rather a placeholder just to remind that something is wrong, and we plan to replace it for more "detonation-like".

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Yes, need to be more careful with temps now. Another step to right direction. thumbup.gif

I flew around in the Bf 109 for about 30minutes just now and unless I'm doing something the engine is not supposed to do in the first place (like flying at 1.8ATA w/o MW 50) and watch my temps it was perfectly fine.

Agree very much with the above and matches my experience so far.

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

Need more careful control now. I think it is good change.

However temperature control looks same before . In handbook of Bf109K-4 in wartime, Bf109K-4 can use MW50 10min continuosly. I don't think DCS ignored it.(Actually I didn't test it. I just fly it 1hours in this morning.)

When I control throttle carelessly, auto propeller pitch being disordered easier than before.

Edited by gomwolf

Nothing different happened from what I was used to with the previous version regarding the P51d, as I posted at another thread on it's section...

In the Bf109 I did noticed a different behaviour regarding engine temperatures, and the CoG was apparently relocated ahead of where the latest patches had, IMO correctly, brought it ... Now when I use brakes, it wants to prop strike :-( The Bf109s were well known for being tail heavy... This also has impact in the trim settings inflight... I don't like it the way it is...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Now when I use brakes, it wants to prop strike :-( The Bf109s were well known for being tail heavy... This also has impact in the trim settings inflight... I don't like it the way it is...

Ouch jcomm .. I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home. I did manage a short flight @ 4 AM this morning and didn't notice anything much different then (still the large ballooning pitch up immediately after take off seemed to be worse), but not really concentrating on small detail either.

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Now when I use brakes, it wants to prop strike

Practised quite lots of short stripe landings yesterday with full brakes and it felt exactly similar as before...in other words as it should be. Need to test again once i'm off the work.

Edited by DB 605

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In the Bf109 I did noticed a different behaviour regarding engine temperatures, and the CoG was apparently relocated ahead of where the latest patches had, IMO correctly, brought it ... Now when I use brakes, it wants to prop strike :-( The Bf109s were well known for being tail heavy... This also has impact in the trim settings inflight... I don't like it the way it is...

Just tried it - couldn´t make out a difference in braking behaviour.

Full brakes after touchdown and not a sign of nosing over.

The engine I only managed to overheat when I´ve done things that I wouldn´t do in normal flight or a dogfight.

The engine I only managed to overheat when I´ve done things that I wouldn´t do in normal flight or a dogfight.

Maybe related to the fact that I set my fuel at 40% before flight ?

• ED Team
Ouch jcomm .. I'll give it a whirl tonight when I get home. I did manage a short flight @ 4 AM this morning and didn't notice anything much different then (still the large ballooning pitch up immediately after take off seemed to be worse), but not really concentrating on small detail either.

Have you seen "CoG position is changed" in the patch changes list? Do you know, why? Because it was not changed! :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Ok,

thx for the testing... must have been me then :-/

Anyway, I had the idea that something had changed along the road after one of the last updates. Before that I was having problems with the use of brakes during taxi and landing. Applying them cause the nose to want to tip... My impression was that after a later update this behavior was absent, and I could apply almost full brakes after landing, without risking a prop strike.

Yesterday when I installed the latest patch, I applied brakes during taxi, both wheels, and the tail lifted... That's what made me think something had changed...

Have you seen "CoG position is changed" in the patch changes list? Do you know, why? Because it was not changed! :)

Sorry for that :-/, but when in the list of fixes it reads "Aerodynamics tweaks" in the section for the Bf109 K4, I can't really tell for sure what might have changed.... So, not being explicitly stated that no changes to CoG took place, can't be a reason to rule that out, right ?

Edited by jcomm

Confirmed as well .. no prop strike for me. Seemed pretty steady actually.

Got MW50 working as well ... thanks for the tips Buzzles!

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!