what does this error mean?

error signature:

AppName: lockon.exe AppVer: 1.1.2.0 ModName: edterrain.dll

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0003b2f2

and this:

AppName: lockon.exe AppVer: 1.1.2.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 0001b929

I got them in A-10 campaign (stock) mission#4

all went fine until this mission. I get the launch screen, load tab goes about half way and then - black screen for approx 2 sec and then this error messege.

any ideas?

** image removed by moderator **

System Specs:

intel Core i7 2600K, nVidia GTX580 ,8GB x1333 MHz RAM ,Win 7 ultimate 64bit, LG FLATRON W24553v 24" Monitor. MSFF 2 stick (yeah, it sucks).

reinstall ....dude

Dude - I already did that...

SB

** image removed by moderator **

System Specs:

intel Core i7 2600K, nVidia GTX580 ,8GB x1333 MHz RAM ,Win 7 ultimate 64bit, LG FLATRON W24553v 24" Monitor. MSFF 2 stick (yeah, it sucks).

• 10 months later...

New customer here. I thought I'd dig this one out of the basement. Been doing some searching and got the same error:

AppName: lockon.exe AppVer: 1.1.2.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 0001b929

I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (DC), XP PRO SP2 with an EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT card (ForceWare 93.81 from EVGA website).

Has anyone solved this to date?

Carlitoboy

Welcome to DLL hell. Or at least that's what it sounds like. Anytime I see a problem involving msvcrt.dll, I suspect that the version in the system32 folder is somehow incompatible with the version the program needs. LOMAC/FC carries it's own version. You can force LOMAC to use it's own and, usually, that takes care of the problem. To do that:

Go to your LOMAC/FC's main folder. Right-click in an empty space and choose: New\Text Document. Name it: lockon.exe.local and leave it blank.

Start LOMAC/FC normally. You'll get some error messages but ignore them. See if that takes care of the problem.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Suggestions:

1: (If Flaming Cliffs) Make sure you are using the right patch for lockon FC. This is probably the first and most widespread mistake people make. There are seperate 1.12a patches for lockon gold, Flaming cliffs CD and Flaming cliffs web. Be certain you use the right one. Install order is Lockon 1.0 then FC 1.1 then the correct 1.12a patch.

Other suggestions:

I read that making a copy of lockon.exe in the main directory and renaming it to lockon.exe.local sometimes works. Also you might try running the file Lockon.bat within the lockon folder as this sometimes helps to correct some issues with the install. Finally also confirm that you do not have a bad shortcut by testing the program directly from the exe.

Hope something here may help!

Out

Thanks for the responses guys!

PoleCat,

I reviewed and ensured that my install path is correct:

1) Install LOMAC 1.00

2) Install LO_1.1_Flaming_Cliffs_Setup.exe

3) Install LO_1.1_Flaming_Cliffs_Movies_Pack.exe

4) Install LO_1.1_Flaming_Cliffs_Seasons_Pack.exe

5) LO_Flaming_Cliffs_Patch_1.12a_EngWEB.exe

This should be fine right? FYI, I can reproduce the crashes with or without the Moview/Season Packs.

Ironhand,

Yes DDL Hell indeed. The more I'm reading about this, the more I realize there is no fix! :(

I tried creating the lockon.exe.local test both with LOMAC FC 1.1 and then with 1.12a. Both times I get the same results, where I see the 3 expected pointer errors, but I then get the inevitable runtime error that automatically terminates the program. Both scenarios tested with Lockon.exe and then with Lockon.bat.

Groove,

I'm usually reluctant to dable with the OS DLLs as I'm not quite that technically inclined. However, I've tried replacing the Windows DLL with the Lockon DLL in the windows/system32 directory, but I found that lockon would end up crashing eventually with the same error - I would then find that the Windows DLL was somehow regenerated into the system32 folder after replacing it! Wierd, but maybe that's how XP works, I dunno...

Perhaps this fighter pilot is SOL?

However, I've tried replacing the Windows DLL with the Lockon DLL in the windows/system32 directory, but I found that lockon would end up crashing eventually with the same error - I would then find that the Windows DLL was somehow regenerated into the system32 folder after replacing it! Wierd, but maybe that's how XP works, I dunno...

Perhaps this fighter pilot is SOL?

Thats a feature of XP ... you can disable it if necessary.

MOTHER OF ALL CREATURES! BIG AND SMALL!!! I THINK IT'S FIXED!!!!!

I didn't bother replacing XP msvcrt.dll with the LO msvcrt.dll in the system32 directory. Instead I did the opposite.

Actually, here's exactly what I did:

-Uninstalled Patch 1.12a

-Tried to play... Crashed to Desktop left and right.

-Then I thought, delete the LO msvcrt.dll entirely from the LO Directory and put in a copy of the XP msvcrt.dll.

-I created the lockon.exe.local file in the LO Directory.

-Then I created a new sub directory called \local (as per what I read HERE)

-Finally, I launch the game via the lockon.bat... All of a sudden, the game launches quickly and smoothly, the game loads up the A10 Campaign, Mission 2, and I go ahead and complete the mission successfully... No crash... Wierd. I'm gonna keep playing to see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

PS. No, I'm not going to reinstall the 1.12a patch. Since I purchased this game, I've spent %10 of my gaming time actually playing it, and %90 of the time recovering from crashes and troubleshooting. I've had this game for years and I've never completed or gone past the A10 campaign. Isn't that sad?

Well, I crashed after 3 hours of play none stop. Not bad. Got the same error though:

AppName: lockon.exe AppVer: 1.1.0.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 0001a4fb

I'm gonna try and check out those 1.1 only A10 training missions and then patch to 1.12a.

***BUMP***

This has become very frustrating. It turns out it was a fluke that I played for 3 hours straight before I CTD'ed. Now I'm back to 10% play time, 90% crash recovery. I'm wondering if anyone has actually fixed this. The lockon.exe.local is does not solve my issue. Does lock on have a customer support department? Am I dead in the water having purchasing this product that doesn't work for me?

er... could it just be that this is hardware problem... overheating os something of that sort. If you say you get to run the game and it crashed after 3 hours.. I think that has to be hardware issue, or simply unstable system. Are you overclocking the CPU, RAM or something like that?

No longer active in DCS...

Well, I've just checked my system and I have 9 DIFFERENT msvcrt.dll's loaded on my laptop! Strangly, the one in c:\games\lockon has been renamed (I guess by me) as .dll.old.

So, I guess the one LO is using is v7.0.2600.2180 from c:\windows\system32

How about searching your HDD making sure you are running that one ... either from the LO directory or from windows\system32.

Having said that, playing for 3hours non-stop is pretty good going! My system grinds to a halt (runs out of available RAM) way before that - probably due to a memory leak somewhere in LO.

I have 3 instances of msvcrt.dll file on my system

- version 7.0.2600.2180 (335KB) located in folder c:\Windows\System32

and there are two more

- version 7.0.2600.0 (315KB) located in folder c:\Windows\WinSxS\x86-Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_etcetc

- version 7.0.2600.2180 (335KB)located in folder c:\Windows\WinSxS\x86-Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_etcetc

I don't think the last two are being used...

There is also same file name in main LockOn folder, and this one is version 6.1.9844.0 (281KB)

I am running WindowsXP Pro with SP2

No longer active in DCS...

Hardware issues is of course a possibility. But with all due respect, speculation doesn't give me a route cause. But on that note, I'm pretty sure my hardware is stable. I've been gaming on this rig with High Display settings with all kinds of games, and never once have I ever crashed. 100% uptime, (for hours) on end. I've flown countless number of flights with MS Flight Simulator X, one after the other, for days, without ever even rebooting my PC, AND sometimes running apps concurrently like burning CDs, DVDs and editing Photos all at the same time. Never once, has an App, or my PC crashed. The specs are not very impressive to a hardcore gamer, but it is definitly a solid consistant rig in my opinion. I guess that's pretty unusual for an MS operating system huh? I love those Mac commercials :)

One thing I tested is running the game without the msvcrt.dll in the Lockon directory what so ever. And it runs, and launches missions just as it would WITH the dll in the directory: same crashes and same errors.

Anyways, here's what is under her dress:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/6/2007, 10:44:50

Machine name: UZI11-MAVERICK

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7250

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 397MB used, 2062MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Music Tab: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 7600 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0391&SUBSYS_C5553842&REV_A1

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: SyncMaster 911N/920N,SyncMaster Magic CX918N

Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9381 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 11/17/2006 17:29:00, 4541824 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: No

WHQL Date Stamp: None

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys

Mini VDD Date: 11/17/2006 17:29:00, 3994688 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-40D1-11CF-577F-5FE500C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x10DE

Device ID: 0x0391

SubSys ID: 0xC5553842

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Revision ID: 0x00A1

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A

Deinterlace Caps: {212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{212DC724-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: Not run

D3D7 Test Result: Not run

D3D8 Test Result: Not run

D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Let me know if more details are needed.

Thanks for everyones help and input:thumbup:

Good luck with getting this one fixed, people have had issues with it since the demo. It is a serious development fault, and one which ED can't seem to fix.

Oh and just for info, the SxS files you showed above are for side-by-side loading of assemblies, and it is here that LOMAC will look for the DLL first.

Could you tell us, whilst employing the local hack, the version number of the faulting msvcrt.dll module?

Yamangman, what's up!

I've seen you've all over this issue for a long long time. Over in the ubi forums too. Still hanging in there huh? Right on. Are you from Cambridge Ontario?

Anyway, the one that comes with lomac is version 6.10.9844.0 and the one that comes with XP SP2 is 7.0.2600.2180.

I guess no one is supporting this except for the customers themselves...

:(