New Tutorials:: Getting Started: Parts 1 and 2

Just a quick heads up. There are two new tutorials on my site aimed at the new folks. Their goal is to introduce you to LOMAC/FC's GUI and Mission Editor (Part 1) and how things work in Flight (Part 2).

Part 1 starts by discussing what is available behind the various Menu buttons, etc focusing at first on the Options Menu. The tutorial then turns to the Mission Editor where we build a simple A-10 mission giving you an opportunity to see the Mission Editor in action and learn a bit about it.

In Part 2 we fly the mission we created. The goal of the flight is to keep the instruction sufficiently simple that it'll be easy to follow along so that you'll have a basic understanding when you fly the mission yourself. Part 2 includes a README, a document listing the key commands involved in the flight, and the mission (V1.12a) itself in addition to the video.

Getting Started Part 1: 47.7MB :: Running time: 56:54 :: 800x600

Getting Started Part 2: 171 MB :: Running time: 26:51 :: 800x600

For lack of a better place to put them, you'll find them on the FLIGHT BASICS page.

Hope some of you find these useful.

Rich

• Like 4

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Great work! I just watched Part 1, and although I am reasonably familiar with the UI, I picked up some nice tips. Thanks! Part 2 is downloading.

PS. The RAR format nearly put me off. As far as I know WinRAR is not freeware, and I don't really want another full-blown compression utility. Luckily there is "unrar" --- a tiny freeware command-line utility that unpacks RAR files. Just a tip for the likeminded.

Great work! I just watched Part 1, and although I am reasonably familiar with the UI, I picked up some nice tips. Thanks! Part 2 is downloading.

PS. The RAR format nearly put me off. As far as I know WinRAR is not freeware, and I don't really want another full-blown compression utility. Luckily there is "unrar" --- a tiny freeware command-line utility that unpacks RAR files. Just a tip for the likeminded.

You can use 7Z program that is free.http://www.7-zip.org/:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

First of all, thanks to all. Wish I could claim credit for the idea (format) of the tutorial(s) (show the new guys how to create a mission, then fly it) but that came from one of our very own newbies.

...The RAR format nearly put me off. As far as I know WinRAR is not freeware, and I don't really want another full-blown compression utility. Luckily there is "unrar" --- a tiny freeware command-line utility that unpacks RAR files. Just a tip for the likeminded.

I know it's payware now but I could have sworn that the version I downloaded and link to was freeware at the time. Maybe I'm wrong. I need to check into it, since the link is to a copy located on my site. I do know that there's a beta version available on their download page. I wasn't aware of Unrar. Not sure how many folks would know how to use a command-line utility, though. Sure wish ZIP was as efficient at compacting files as RAR. Sometimes the differences in file size is astonishing between the two. In this case it was substantial enough that I chose to go with the RAR format.

Zaelu,

Thanks for the tip about 7-Zip, though it was directed at Attila. I'll check into it.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Why not create SFX (self extracting) archive.. rar can do it.

An excellent suggestion and elegent solution. I hadn't realized you could do that with WinRar. Thank you.

Rich

_____

As a newbie I'd like to say thanks for these tutorials. I have one question concerning it. The mission start time is 17:30 and when I start it it's fairly dark out. How do you change the time? I tried to edit the time on the A-10's waypoint zero but I'm not allowed to do so.

Thanks

As a newbie I'd like to say thanks for these tutorials. I have one question concerning it. The mission start time is 17:30 and when I start it it's fairly dark out. How do you change the time? I tried to edit the time on the A-10's waypoint zero but I'm not allowed to do so.

Thanks

I assume you're talking about the real mission (.mis file) itself. It ended up classified (passworded). This is a test. :)

Rich

_____

Aha, its coming back to me now... I think it has something to do with pressing Rwin-Ctrl-LeftAlt-Home-Capslock while wearing a bra on my my head.

Not exactly. But you get points for creativity. :)

Rich

_____

WOW!!! I'm A STICKEY!!! :D

Arrived here to check on my thread and couldn't find it. Thought: That's strange. (Actually the words I used were a bit stronger.) Was about to leave here to go check up on what was happening at the Ubi forum and happened to glance up at the stickies. O, wow!

...Like many of the most useful things in the Lockon Community, it made me and doubtless many others think - "D*mn! Why didn't I think of making something (like) that 2 years ago?"

I had the same reaction when a new guy emailed me saying:

Any chance of a complete newbie tutorial for absolute idiots {BTW, the one thing he isn't is an idiot} like me?... Coming from an MS flight sim background to FC is a daunting one. Just look at the keyboard layout....it's enough to put anyone off. The simple things like how do you create a mission with your plane on the tarmac and a couple of stationary targets to blow up. Then of course once you've created this 'baby' mission how do you start the plane, how do you select the weapons, how do you fire the weapons.

Some tutorials just scream to be made. This was one of them. Ah, the simple things in life.

Rich

_____

Rich, like nscode I thought about suggesting SFX, but refrained from it fearing I would open a can of worms --- executables bring the security threat of possible viruses etc. But very few users run without virus control these days, and I guess this crowd is well used to downloading executables off the net. A nice thing about SFX is it will allow you to create a more "wizard-like" extraction process, with intro text, etc.

About time you got your first sticky, by the way!

PS. Thanks to all for the tips about utilities that handle RAR, but I simply put "unrar" on the Explorer short-cut menu as the default RAR file action (Tools | Folder Options | File types). That'll do for now.

Rich, like nscode I thought about suggesting SFX, but refrained from it fearing I would open a can of worms --- executables bring the security threat of possible viruses etc...

I had the same concerns about making it an executable. OTOH, it takes care of the "RAR" problem nicely. Plus, by making it an executable, I won't get 20 emails asking me how to open a RAR file. :)

PS now enjoying FC

Great! And: Happy birthday! :holiday:

Rich

_____

• 3 weeks later...

If you use WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm), and you are worried about just running any executables on your machine, keep in mind that you can right-click the .EXE in Windows Explorer, and if it truly is just a self-extracting archive, you will see the options to decompress it, in the context menu. So you don't have to blindly double-click and hope for the best.

Cheers,

LP

PS. Thanks Ironhand -- I will be using these videos to convince some friends to start playing LockOn.

LP

modules:

F5-E / A4-E / A-10A / AJS-37 / SA-342 / UH-1H / Ka-50 / Mi-8 / CA

would buy:

OH-58 /AH-64A / AH-1 / Sepecat Jaguar / F-111

• 2 weeks later...