Mig-21 nuclear weapon delivery question.

Holbeach

Starting with the small nuke.

This is the RN-28, 1 kiloton small nuke, being delivered to the SA-3 SAM site, which has ZSU-23-4, SA-8 and SA-9 protection. I'm using the SA-9 as the target and PuP with an over the shoulder release and help by 8 Mig-21 to distract the defenders. I will gradually increase the AA until it can't be penetrated. The SA-8 Osa is the most potent at the moment.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Trying the RN-28 in the mountains.

This is an attack, using the small tactical nuclear bomb, on 6, T-90 tanks, protected by a battery of 4 SA-8 Gecko SAM, plus 1 Strella AAA, in a steep sided mountain valley, . Approaching up the valley would be suicide, so I'm lobbing the bomb from 2 valleys away over the mountain tops and then escaping down the center valley with no chance for the defenders to fire.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The thing is, the SA 11 system doesn't need to be 1 unit, like the others (SA 3/6/10) and that's what threw me.

Each SA-11 has its own radar mounted on TEL (the middle vehicle):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Buk-M1-2_air_defence_system_in_2010.jpg

That's why it doesn't need a separate radar (the range is smaller etc. but it still works). Nasty thing, you only need one to mess up someone's day... or multiple someone's. SA-3/-6/-10 don't have separate radars, and have to be deployed with separate search and tracking radars (in RL and DCS).

Each SA-11 has its own radar mounted on TEL (the middle vehicle):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Buk-M1-2_air_defence_system_in_2010.jpg

That's why it doesn't need a separate radar (the range is smaller etc. but it still works). Nasty thing, you only need one to mess up someone's day... or multiple someone's. SA-3/-6/-10 don't have separate radars, and have to be deployed with separate search and tracking radars (in RL and DCS).

Yes, you're right.

That might explain why it was slow to wake up. It wasn't connected to the separate radar and therefore couldn't see until something came into its field of view, but once locked it was deadly.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just wondered how far can you toss them?

I practiced this quite a bit back when MiG-21 was first release, from a low altitute pop up, I could toss about 6 kms max, reading up on subject suggest a figure of 7 kms but I wasn't able to achieve it back then. Didn't try hard enough perhaps :).

Still 6 kms is enough vs many defences anyway :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Hi, just wondered how far can you toss them?

I practiced this quite a bit back when MiG-21 was first release, from a low altitute pop up, I could toss about 6 kms max, reading up on subject suggest a figure of 7 kms but I wasn't able to achieve it back then. Didn't try hard enough perhaps :).

Still 6 kms is enough vs many defences anyway :).

The mountain valley attack in the previous video was 5.5 nm, but from ground level I usually worked on 5.2 nm.

(re: Message #1)

I decided to start my training with this beautiful aircraft, from the top down, with the nuclear weapon delivery and was surprised to find that the RN-28 nuke could cause an enormous amount of damage, unlike the RN-24, which did nothing.

Is there a reason for this?

This is how a tactical nuclear strike would have been carried out in RL if you didn't have a predetermined pup (pull up point). The target itself would be the pup and would be be attacked at low level and an over the shoulder release at a 110 degree rotation would be launched. The idea is to surprise the defenses and then escape the blast. I've hung around just to see the result.

The RN-24 nuke, used in the last vid, didn't cause any damage. The RN-28, used in this vid, on the other hand, wiped out all the targets in 1 hit. The 30 deg. toss is 1 method used to deliver nuclear tactical weapons to heavily guarded installations and escape the blast. I am overflying the area to see the impact point.

EMP or NEMP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

https://www.google.com/search?q=EMF+pulse&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=electromagnetic+pulse

https://www.google.com/search?q=electromagnetic+pulse&ei=xrqBVcfuHsbYtQXx-IPwBg#q=nuclear+electromagnetic+pulse

Is the Mig-21 lead lined or lead lined underwear at least?

How are the electronic systems protected from EMP?

What happens when an EMP hits Iron Man?

The wikipedia reference does state that the older vacuum tube electronics has a better chance of survivability compared to the newer solid state systems.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...
How far mig21 has to be from the point of explosion to survive it - in last dcs version..?

I made these videos in 1.5, to show the RN-24, self destruction, bug.

You can't get far enough away from it without killing yourself.

I've tried it again in 2.5 and got the same result.

The small RN-28 might be OK.

you have to do a strange manoeuvre to get away from the 24, try 30k ft at max speed (with external load) about 8nm (or 4 i cant remember) drop it and pull a 4g 150-180 degree turn and enter a shallow dive to break mach and hopefully then you'll live.

Yes, I have no problems escaping RN28 blast radius, but RN24 is different story....

The RN-28 is about 4nm clearance required.

Previous testing with ai, showed the RN-24 required 12nm.

you have to do a strange manoeuvre to get away from the 24, try 30k ft at max speed (with external load) about 8nm (or 4 i cant remember) drop it and pull a 4g 150-180 degree turn and enter a shallow dive to break mach and hopefully then you'll live.

I'll give it a try, but with the real life safe clearance (from the manual) being 5nm, it's not very realistic and neither are the instant deaths.

Update: First attempt gave 9.75nm (and death), so it has potential to make the 12nm...

Edited by Holbeach

Google Earth.

I spend a lot of time in my, Crimea bomb range, but rarely at high level.

Whilst practicing with the RN-28in in Crimea, I noticed an airbase in the background, which turned out to be the disused Novoivanivka AB.

Flying higher, revealed crop irrigation circles, roads, railways etc.

WOW! We have Google Earth in DCS.

Is this new in 2.5, or have I just not noticed it?

Edited by Holbeach