April 2015 DCS World Newsletter

Cibit

Maybe, anyone from ED can answer to a question:

Does the A/G Radar works in real-time? Means, if I destroy the bridge: Does the radar picture reflects this?

Best regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from your short posting history on this board, you haven't been "too impressed" once about anything. Fine, what you posted here is indeed constructive criticism, but having seen your older posts you're just being negative all the time. Why is that?

Now, if you don't like the sim in its current state, that's just fine. But if things as they stand _really_ get on your nerves, why not leave DCS for awhile and come back later, say when v2.0 finally gets released?

That must be, because he seems to just look at screenshots and videos, take a quick flight "is not impressed" and then gone again playing more "visually impressive" titles?

Seems he had not enough time to learn and appreciate accurate systems modeling, flight models that represent actual aircraft behavior etc. The things where a good SIMULATION shines, compared to a standard game title.

I'm still utterly impressed with the flight model of the A-10C and how a lost wingtip or drag and weight shifting from load out and bomb releases affect the flight modeling!

Let alone all the other pretty impressive enhancements over the last years...

Just seeing (and understanding) what that "unimpressive" ground radar screenshot provided in terms of future gameplay gave me wet pants!

To each his own... I am DEFINITELY impressed with the progress we see here.

Go on with it ED, and thanks Wags for the update!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Can someone clue me in on the excitement of that ground radar pic?

Green picture shows "radar reflections" from ground objects (terrain, trees, buildings and planes/vehicles). The planes and vehicles are metal and reflect radar stronger (bright green dots)... Compare that to the rendered environment screenshot you can identify the SU-27 on board the Kuznetsov on the radar map, the ground vehicles and planes on the runway/airport and even the bridge, by radar reflections, yet the ground clutter "hides" objects if they don't reflect enough radar energy.

In terms of gameplay that means real reflection modeling rather than line-of-sight plus distance equals seeing a ground target, like in so many other Sims/games.

At least that is what I interpret into that picture.

In theory it should be possible to "hide" ground units between buildings as the clutter should cover them up to a certain distance, depending on the vehicles "radar reflection level".

• Like 1

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

a detail that I think has happened to the majority. the ground radar pic, could not be also an improvement that can come with respect to all other radar? either aircraft air search and ground to air radars?

Imagine for example an F-15 looking for a helicopter in the mountains and forests or a SAM unit (CA) or vessel (hopefully in the future looking them) searching a target and affected by terrain clutter, weather or by the waves of the sea. It is a speculation, but, this can derived on a improvement from the new technology of air to land radar?.

Hmm, seeing that radar map, I really wonder if we get a heat map as well? The IR Targeting Pods and binos currently don't reflect actual temperature differences. An IR "heat" map for vehicles and ground objects similar ro the radar reflection map would be awesome... :smartass:

Shagrat

Green picture shows "radar reflections" from ground objects (terrain, trees, buildings and planes/vehicles). The planes and vehicles are metal and reflect radar stronger (bright green dots)...

Cool!

Thanks shagrat :-)

I sense Naveda is closer than they let on. Mudslike probably have an article in the making as we speak. Just a hunch taken from a slew of info the past few days.

Can I have a link to that slew of info you have please. I thought this site was where all the information was at, so if you have another site i'd be grateful for the link.

There was a lot of info in that one news letter which happen to come just a few days after the arrival of smartgraf. An orchestrated attack no doubt. This is also the first time I've seen ED release 3 videos in one day. Three, man. Considering the years of famine and war of attrition around here, the sudden generosity busting out the gate can only mean one thing. Oh and there's GlowingAmraam knife EDGE through those buildings, yeah, it's coming.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Green picture shows "radar reflections" from ground objects (terrain, trees, buildings and planes/vehicles). The planes and vehicles are metal and reflect radar stronger (bright green dots)... Compare that to the rendered environment screenshot you can identify the SU-27 on board the Kuznetsov on the radar map, the ground vehicles and planes on the runway/airport and even the bridge, by radar reflections, yet the ground clutter "hides" objects if they don't reflect enough radar energy.

In terms of gameplay that means real reflection modeling rather than line-of-sight plus distance equals seeing a ground target, like in so many other Sims/games.

At least that is what I interpret into that picture.

In theory it should be possible to "hide" ground units between buildings as the clutter should cover them up to a certain distance, depending on the vehicles "radar reflection level".

a detail that I think has happened to the majority. the ground radar pic, could not be also an improvement that can come with respect to all other radar? either aircraft air search and ground to air radars?

Imagine for example an F-15 looking for a helicopter in the mountains and forests or a SAM unit (CA) or vessel (hopefully in the future looking them) searching a target and affected by terrain clutter, weather or by the waves of the sea. It is a speculation, but, this can derived on a improvement from the new technology of air to land radar?.

The Image looks accurate from what Ive seen in real Doppler Beam Sharpening Modes.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
Could not help noticing that L-39 has Czech marking, but the cockpit gauges are in Russian. Is there a plan to have also Czech cockpit? (Not that it would make any difference in understanding the language.)

All new model and skins are coming later for the L-39, the current L-39 is a place holder.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

very strange, they chose the same name "High Roller" for Caesars' new observation wheel

The "first" High Roller at 909 ft (277 m) - on the Stratosphere Tower was the second highest ride in the world and the highest roller coaster

It was closed on December 30, 2005, and dismantled to make space for a new attraction

in DCSW2 NTTR: an experienced 3D model artist needs only couple days to make that model and put into Las Vegas on the NTTR map...so maybe we will see that new observation wheel in the sim as well as the new control tower(s) on the McCarran International Airport (in Wags' video)

Shows how little I've gotten to that far end of the strip. I had no idea the Stratosphere coaster was gone. The HR Wheel just kind of jumped out at me in that vid since I rode it last May shortly after it's grand opening, and it's really obvious out the plane windows when you're on approach to McCarran. I'll be there in a couple of weeks for the same conference, and I'll try and get some pictures from the plane.

Though my post was really 99.9% in jest. :smilewink: If they can add it with little effort, great, but I don't think the Wynn is there yet either. I don't expect them to keep up with the ever-changing strip, but man do I want to fly down it right now. That 60 FPS video was the most excited I've been since strapping on the 109.

When they release Normandy, my wife may never see me again...

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

• ED Team
ground radar is one of the features what brought the need of DCS world 2 & EDGE in the first place..

Yup, ground radar opens a huge range of aircraft people might have avoided developing before... that and multi-crew cockpits are game changers IMHO

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Hi Everyone,

After seeing al these nice video's and given it some time to sink in I started wondering about that dual seat L-39 bit. I think it's a briliant development, but does anyone have an idea how that's supposed to work? Or are details to vague to say anything conclusive about it yet?

For example. I imagine that if I own one of the trainer aircraft like the L-39, it'll give me the ability to invite someone with me into the aircraft. Perhaps someone has problems with a sertain manouver and you can take the instructor possition to help him/her through it. But is that true? Or would the person i'd like to invite need to own the aircraft as well? And, perhaps, most importantly, wouldnt that damage the usefullness of such trainer jets?

Putting myself in the shoes of a new player for a moment (since I am one): I looked through the modules available for a while before deciding on the Mig-21. Not the Hawk, nor the C-101. Had it been available, I doupt I'd have gone for the L-39 eighter. Dual cockpit or not.

This might be a whole new topic in it's own right, but with more an more realy cool aircraft beeing developed the chanse of a fresh player deciding on one of these trainer jets would probably deminish. While it seems that it's new players that would most benefit from this dual cockpit feature and the training jets.

Any thoughts or insights on this?

If you really "want" to learn how to fly and you join a squadron for example, you might be required to learn in a trainer before they allow you in serious missions.

The thing is, the "Trainers" are also quite nimble ground attack planes and good for learning BFM for fast jets. So the L-39, or the Hawk and C-101 once they run on dual seat multiplayer give you a chance to learn how to fly with an advanced friend or even a squadron instructor...

If somebody chooses to go on with training on their own in a Mig-21 for example, why not. Yet my guess is, there is a market for that planes, too.

And honestly, the next sale is never far, and once you own all the fancy jets, you go pick the trainers, just because they are available.

In my view the L-39/dual cockpit is a tremendous step in the right direction.

• Like 1

Shagrat

They would need to have DCS2.0 out, before somebody could use the NTTR map, as it is designed with EDGE...;)

Shagrat

The Hawk is great fun, the guys averse to trainers are very much missing out imo. I'm looking forward to the L-39 and the new features it is bringing to DCS personally.

The L-39 should be an interesting addition. It's been widely used not only as a trainer but also as a COIN plane and handled the latter role far better than anyone could reasonably expect a trainer to. I'm glad to see it's the next plane release by ED and approaching completion. I probably won't pick it up day 1 for $50, but I'm sure I'll grab it at some point during a sale. As for the other trainers, my view is if you don't have a high fidelity flight model, then you don't have anything. I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

If you really "want" to learn how to fly and you join a squadron for example, you might be required to learn in a trainer before they allow you in serious missions.

In the 476th specifically a portion of our training track will require this once MP duel seat is established and we decide what training ACFT we'll adopt.

I for one can't wait to sit in the back seat as an IP!

• Like 1

In the 476th specifically a portion of our training track will require this once MP duel seat is established and we decide what training ACFT we'll adopt.

I for one can't wait to sit in the back seat as an IP!

I'm not realy sure I understand what you're saying here. You run a flight school for DCS?

Should I imagine it is simular to the flight school type groups you see on Vatsim and the like?

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't realy taken DCS online yet. Loaded into a server once so far, and to be honest, I didnt realy know what to do next. Seemed a bit chaotic and non directed.