F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2

Cobra847

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this was 100% awesome! Thank you for posting, I'm very excited.

Also, am I the only one who wants this in Kit/figure form? Nice canvas to play around with some paint. :thumbup:

PilotThumb.png

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

All of this was 100% awesome! Thank you for posting, I'm very excited.

Also, I the only one who wants this in Kit/figure form? Nice canvas to play around with some paint. :thumbup:

Yea as a modeller i was thinking the same ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

Leatherneck,

why the choice for a mid-to-late 80s F-14A instead of an early one?

Not only would that more accurately portray the Iranian F-14's (the most interesting and compelling story of all the F-14's IMHO), it would also give more separation between the A and B models

Loving the Mig-21 by the way, keep it up!

Maybe LS could retrofit his new model optimization technology for the Mig-21 also to improve perfomance.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

What a impressive update, guys!

You're doing an outstanding job - just awesome! :pilotfly:

Also, I the only one who wants this in Kit/figure form? Nice canvas to play around with some paint. :thumbup:

Nope, I want it, as well.

@LS: If you would produce it as an painted die-cast or plastic modell, I would buy it.

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not only would that more accurately portray the Iranian F-14's (the most interesting and compelling story of all the F-14's IMHO), it would also give more separation between the A and B models

More separation? What are the significant differences between the mid 80's F-14A and let's say mid to late 70's one? Personally, 80's is just where it's supposed to be Cold War wise (when the Soviet side finally fielded some decent planes :) ).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Q: Are you sure about those Glove Vanes?

A: We'll be, at the very least, adding a visual option. It is possible that we will simulate the aerodynamic impact of the glove vanes further down the line.

yeah, glove vanes needed, a must have ! ! ! at least as a visual option

2600398.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat/2600398/L/&sid=e5c67b2e4f277f8d834399be3680d13c

sign-pic4.jpg

Leatherneck,

Loving the Mig-21 by the way, keep it up!

You can do a solid simulation of the IIAF/IRIAF Tomcats from the mid/late-80s USN Tomcat. The differences are functional (?) glove vanes of the IRIAF Tomcats, lack of TCS, lack of HUD camera, TF30-PW-414 engines vs TF30-PW-414A (more reliable version), and maybe some slight control system/ARI differences(?).

With DCS, the level of detail makes crossing a broad era difficult since all aircraft systems slowly evolve over time. However, having IRIAF skins would allow for 95+% accurate operations given the model of F-14A that is planned and offer better commonality with the planned F-14B.

Plus, many of us like the USN mid/late-80s best for the Tomcat (that part of the announcement made me VERY happy!). The combination of carrier operations and taking on the classic Soviet threats sounds AMAZING to me.

The IRIAF Tomcat story is a good one and the most combat that the Tomcat really saw, but the Strait of Hormuz map won't work for the Iran-Iraq war. The current plans would allow for IRIAF Tomcats to fight against US/Western threats from the 1980s-2000s. In this timeframe, knowing the exact details of IRIAF Tomcats is not feasible (and might vary a lot between airframes given the challenges of maintaining such an aircraft without supply lines).

I think they are choosing an excellent compromise and it will ultimately be the best simulation of the IRIAF Tomcats anyway.

My 2 cents.

-Nick

You can do a solid simulation of the IIAF/IRIAF Tomcats from the mid/late-80s USN Tomcat. The differences are functional (?) glove vanes of the IRIAF Tomcats, lack of TCS, lack of HUD camera, TF30-PW-414 engines vs TF30-PW-414A (more reliable version), and maybe some slight control system/ARI differences(?).

With DCS, the level of detail makes crossing a broad era difficult since all aircraft systems slowly evolve over time. However, having IRIAF skins would allow for 95+% accurate operations given the model of F-14A that is planned and offer better commonality with the planned F-14B.

Plus, many of us like the USN mid/late-80s best for the Tomcat (that part of the announcement made me VERY happy!). The combination of carrier operations and taking on the classic Soviet threats sounds AMAZING to me.

The IRIAF Tomcat story is a good one and the most combat that the Tomcat really saw, but the Strait of Hormuz map won't work for the Iran-Iraq war. The current plans would allow for IRIAF Tomcats to fight against US/Western threats from the 1980s-2000s. In this timeframe, knowing the exact details of IRIAF Tomcats is not feasible (and might vary a lot between airframes given the challenges of maintaining such an aircraft without supply lines).

I think they are choosing an excellent compromise and it will ultimately be the best simulation of the IRIAF Tomcats anyway.

My 2 cents.

-Nick

Completely agree...for them to model the F-14A from the 70s and the F-14B from the early 90s would likely negate a lot of commonalities that make things work for them. I'm sure the late 80s Tomcat is much more capable than the 1976 IRIAF Tomcats especially with many of them likely not in flying condition and given the fact we took out some classified 1976 avionics when they were sold anyway.

In any event this release will be one of the biggest if not the biggest seller in DCS history and I will be preordering at soon as that is an option:D

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

And this is how it's done! Thanks for the great update, LN!

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Completely agree...for them to model the F-14A from the 70s and the F-14B from the early 90s would likely negate a lot of commonalities that make things work for them. I'm sure the late 80s Tomcat is much more capable than the 1976 IRIAF Tomcats especially with many of them likely not in flying condition and given the fact we took out some classified 1976 avionics when they were sold anyway.

In any event this release will be one of the biggest if not the biggest seller in DCS history and I will be preordering at soon as that is an option:D

I'll miss those lively VF-1, VF-143 and VF-84 paint schemes :(

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

We won't be limiting ourselves in terms of liveries based on the released block era, even if that particular livery would not have been used on a later -A.

Awesome! Would love to see high Vis and low Vis of VF-154!:thumbup:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Thankyou for the update Cobra, very detailed as always. All my concerns eliminated :)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV