F-14A/B DEVELOPMENT UPDATE #2

Cobra847

Can someone update me

Hello guys :)

It's been a long time, i'm back in DCS.

So I remember back in early last year, leatherneck announced the development of the tomcat. I was PUMPED.

Now that im back over a year later, I just want to know, hows it comming along? I'm sure a few forum warriors can fill me in on the latest known progress? I went to leathernecks site and I found this-

"We are working hard on developing the F-14 project and we currently expect to reach an initial internal BETA stage during the first half of 2016. The complexity of the project at hand cannot be understated, however. Both the F-14 itself and all auxiliary components (Theatre, JESTER AI) are incredibly complex tasks, thus we must approach any estimates with great caution. Expect this estimate to change drastically, as we keep you better informed towards the tail-end of 2015."

Of course this module is going to be huge and very very complex, so I completely understand that the team has not released the beta yet. Im so excited! But as to what I can see, there were only 2 update threads posted..? At the end of the second one he said we can expect another in a month... its about a year late :megalol:

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks :thumbup:

Wanna see my latest DCS: World movie?

Follow this link!

My YouTube channel- https://www.youtube.com/user/Gargoyle792nd

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen model renders and some textured work, but other than? Not much on the art front. A lot of work has been finished with the FM, apparently.

At the moment, LNS is in crunch mode to get the Viggen out and playable.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Yes, Viggen and supposedly F4U Corsair before F-14. But this has been said from the very beginning of the F-14 announcement. We still hope to get the F-14 as Early Access at the end of the year, but I guess we will have to wait till next year.

Some dev updates:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=163752

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=165928

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Rip..:cry:

:huh:

It's still in development and is making great progress. We will get our hands on it sooner or later.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

At the moment, LNS is in crunch mode to get the Viggen out and playable.

Yes , the Viggen that iirc was not even given a formal announcement yet , and no single screenshot or render was released for it...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't hold my breath until fall 2017.. especially if they want to release the Viggen and the F4U beforehand. I haven't heard any news about these either...

That's because their development is following a new communication strategy. They aren't even announced yet officially, because they want to announce them just before release. That didn't work very well, because there has been a leak (steam) and some infos by the devs from time to time, mostly for the Viggen. A good overview of all available information to LNSs Viggen Module can be found here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170263

I guess the release of the Viggen will happen in middle to late August or maybe September. But that's just my guess, nothing official!

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's too bad they never give us updates any more.

They could learn a thing or two about communication from RAZBAM who do a fantastic job.

Well once you have been repeatedly stomped on by this forum the devs get gun shy..

Nobody to blame on that front except us :(

• Like 1

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Personally id love an early access sooner than later just to have f-14 carrier landing training occupy us for a looong while ;D

That would be outstanding!

(Although I don't believe it would be in their interest to do it.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I wouldn't hold my breath until fall 2017.. especially if they want to release the Viggen and the F4U beforehand. I haven't heard any news about these either...

Yep. They are not going to release 3 modules in the next 5 months. Hold that hype train!! :cry:

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

It's too bad they never give us updates any more.

They could learn a thing or two about communication from RAZBAM who do a fantastic job.

I really like Razbam and thought the same a couple months ago, but in reality LNS and Razbam are pretty similar. They both release similar amounts of WIP content, but they do it in different ways.

Razbam has periodic posts with a few WIP shots and relatively little information, while LNS has big posts with lots of info and many pictures every few months.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=163752

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=165928

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157420

These posts are pretty comprehensive in terms of explaining the project and showing screenshots of what is presentable.

Really, the sense that LNS is not communicating is all about the Swedish Elephant in the room....the complete lack of visuals on the Viggen (and a lesser extent the F4U-1D). LNS has talked a bit about the Viggen in scattered posts (by both RagnarDa and Cobra) and the overall amount of information substantially exceeds (IMHO) the amount of info that I have about Razbam's upcoming AV-8B (which I also want). Not to mention the pretty minimal information about the inbound Mirage III - like what is the intended use of this modules without a 60s era Middle Eastern theater. LNS answered that question for the Viggen - they are creating a theater for it (which seems to still be in progress from what has been said: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2839222#post2839222).

I think the discontent is all about the lack of visual media. This makes sense - we humans are very visual (our most trusted and developed sense) and not seeing Viggen or Corsair images makes fans cranky, especially knowing that something could be shown.

I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for holding back (why else would they put up with all of these comments...). But I hope their future work will be more of a hybrid approach between the Tomcat and Viggen/Corsair (if possible).

Lastly, part of the problem is probably the fact that these three upcoming modules have never-before-created features and they don't want to announce a feature before it works. Otherwise they get endless posts about the lack of MiG-21 flood lights (almost released :)) and fogging/icing for the windscreen - even though doing it proved less feasible than originally thought (at least in terms of it looking good...). They also probably don't want to show Viggen screenshots while they are fine-tuning the art, lest someone complain about "bait and switch". In the midst of all this, VR also became a reality. It wouldn't be a surprise if more VR optimization of the artwork was part of the hold-up. It's one thing to plan for VR, its another to try and get things working smoothly with the release version of the Rift and Vive.

My 2 cents, but I don't think things are as different as they may appear...its all about the pictures not the communication.

-Nick

PS - I do really like Razbam's detailed change-logs, but the last patch had a same day post with the MiG-21 change-log - a good sign.

Edited by BlackLion213
  • Like 1

For the people moaning about release dates, LN have never stipulated more than wanting to initally be in an internal beta by early 2016 (was late 2015, then revised), and they've since then had other issues, engine changes and the like to deal with that have pushed it back, but it's pretty obvious from the occasional posting of images, gifs, and the test server popping up, they're making decent progress.

It'll be done when it's done. I don't think LN will ever announce any projects early again though if this is the response, yet again.

Edited by Buzzles

The F4U and the F-14 are my favorite prop and jet respectively. Am i in a hurry to actually see them out though? Not really...... not that i would mind if i could fly both right now! As DCS is a primarily a jet simulator, i would probably prefer to get my hands on the Cat though. Especially if a good online community and a good campaign come along with it. But i'm not that much in a hurry to part with the money. When it's out, it's out. In the meantime life keeps me too busy to do anything but lurk around the forums. I probably won't even install the sim until the bird is out, as i really don't have the time to fly planes i am not so keen on....... well..... maybe when the Harrier gets out...... but it will depend on the theaters available.....

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

For everyone who keeps calling for LNS to hurry up, just remember, you're going to be very disappointed the first time you notice a glaring bug in the module.

Just give them time and space to do the job. We haven't even paid for anything, so don't have anything thing to leverage anyway.

For everyone who keeps calling for LNS to hurry up, just remember, you're going to be very disappointed the first time you notice a glaring bug in the module.

Just give them time and space to do the job. We haven't even paid for anything, so don't have anything thing to leverage anyway.

In a choice between doing it fast and doing it right, right always wins!

More screens and videos never hurt

:music_whistling::music_whistling: :music_whistling::music_whistling:

i think ignorance is bliss rings truer

people cant bitch about what they dont know

i really dont get this thing about "communication" as ln has already communicated everything they really have to say already

maybe it comes as a surprise to some people that not all things in life are performance arts to be streamed on twitch for their entertainment

Edited by probad