Multiplayer only: Heavy CPU lag for first 10 minutes

Hobbnob

Hey guys, so I've had this issue since installing DCS a few years back where I would be fine in singleplayer but multiplayer would start lagging as soon as I got into a server. I never thought anything of it, but recently a friend with a similar spec pc to mine got dcs as well and is having no issues.

What I'm getting isn't internet lag. The aircraft selection lists consist of scrolling, waiting 30-40 seconds for a response, then scrolling again and repeating over and over until I see the aircraft I want, then clicking, waiting more, then pressing briefing waiting more etc etc you get the idea. This happens for the first 10-15 minutes of gameplayer where it'll be a slideshow, so I just leave the computer for a while and occasionally move the mouse to check that it's still frozen. After that it will be absolutely fine, running everything silky smooth apart from a slight stutter when someone new loads in.

Here are my specs, thanks for any help :)

i5 4570 3.2ghz

4gb DDR3 RAM

GTX760 2GB GPU

20MB internet

Something definitely amiss... Should be no problem - I wonder if it's a network issue? Have you tested ping/packets with ping plotter? I assume you have tried fresh install - have you game as far as a reformat?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• ED Team

Might be related, but your RAM is below the recommended minimum (6GB). Are this missions you are loading into big missions, lots of units and stuff going on? Maybe check your RAM usage when you are loading into these servers?

Hey guys, so I've had this issue since installing DCS a few years back where I would be fine in singleplayer but multiplayer would start lagging as soon as I got into a server. I never thought anything of it, but recently a friend with a similar spec pc to mine got dcs as well and is having no issues.

What I'm getting isn't internet lag. The aircraft selection lists consist of scrolling, waiting 30-40 seconds for a response, then scrolling again and repeating over and over until I see the aircraft I want, then clicking, waiting more, then pressing briefing waiting more etc etc you get the idea. This happens for the first 10-15 minutes of gameplayer where it'll be a slideshow, so I just leave the computer for a while and occasionally move the mouse to check that it's still frozen. After that it will be absolutely fine, running everything silky smooth apart from a slight stutter when someone new loads in.

Here are my specs, thanks for any help :)

i5 4570 3.2ghz

4gb DDR3 RAM

GTX760 2GB GPU

20MB internet

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Might be related, but your RAM is below the recommended minimum (6GB). Are this missions you are loading into big missions, lots of units and stuff going on? Maybe check your RAM usage when you are loading into these servers?

For Sure. also making sure your Virus program isn't checking every command sent by DCS. By way of turning it off. or setting it to accept all commands from DCS.

What Virus Program are u using?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas! To respond:

Ping: Pingplotter was uncooperative even after opening the firewall (I'm using avast AV with windows firewall) but I'm relatively certain it's not a network issue as I'm unable to scroll or navigate menu's properly when I'm in a server.

AV: I've added DCS world to avast's exceptions list and restarted the pc and game but to no avail.

RAM: It's possible that it's the culprit, however the task manager is only showing 2.1gb usage which is slightly below some of the other games I run without issue (arma 3, project cars being the main ones)

I actually haven't tried a reinstall yet as the download size makes me pale (especially when you include the aircraft I purchased ie nearly all of them) but I'll consider it if there are no more ideas tomorrow.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far guys, it's great to see a community aiding a crippled pilot :)

I reinstalled today, no luck.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I had an odd incident where everything was fine a week ago. I'd loaded into a server but something went wrong with my internet and I got kicked. When I loaded back in, everything ran silky smooth and showed no signs of any issues. I could scroll, select things and do everything a normal player can do.

What are you scrolling through? Is this information likely to be something that is stored locally or on the server?

If it's the latter it could be your internet connection.

If you can, can you take your PC to your friends and test it there? It might be quicker and easier to do that than trying to diagnose a network/ISP fault.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had exactly the same issue and doubling my RAM eliminated it immediately. From scrolling through menus to spamming F2 on MP servers everything became crisp and instant.

Hope you find a solution that works for you:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

are you using landline or mobile (USB broadband dongle) internet access?

also, iiuc, the vga overlaps over current RAM... 2.1 usage + 2 VGA = 4.1 - what is the set up regarding Page File... is it at (what should be) System Default? Have you modified to Fixed Size"?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

are you using landline or mobile (USB broadband dongle) internet access?

also, iiuc, the vga overlaps over current RAM... 2.1 usage + 2 VGA = 4.1 - what is the set up regarding Page File... is it at (what should be) System Default? Have you modified to Fixed Size"?

Landline broadband access, I'm not sure what VGA is so can't comment on that but I've enlarged my paging file slightly since it was hampering my music work. Could it be the computer accessing this that's causing my slowdown? It's important to clarify that I have absolutely no slowdown in any singleplayer missions :)

• 2 months later...