Joystick curves for F-15

Baz000

Hi what joystick curves do you guys recommend for flying the f-15? I use a USB converted Suncom SFS throttle and Talon stick using realsimulator.com FUSBA adapter. In particular the throttle has afterburner and idle detents that I wish to use just like the real F-15 in-game but how do I get afterburner kick in at the detent. And how do the detents work IRL on the F-15 in terms of throttle inputs.

I can't comment on the throttle set-up but with regards to the curvature, I usually use between 15-20 on the pitch & roll axes and between 5 and 10 on yaw. Some people go as high as 25 on pitch & roll which gives very fine control but for me at least that's a bit too much.

The best thing to do will be to fly some low speed circuits using various curvature numbers until you find some values with which you're comfortable, but I think that 15 is probably a good starting point for pitch & roll axes.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Also deadzone on stick FUSBA calibration automatically sets deadzone based on input spiking. However for flying it may be good to add additional dead zone for each axis of the stick to keep inputs separated on each axis... What are your thoughts.

I agree that setting dead zone is a good way of masking input spikes from your stick. The best way is to observe the axis input in the axis configuration screen in-game. Wiggle the stick about the neutral position to try to get it to spike and see how much input jitter this produces. I'm using a dead zone of 4 on pitch & roll with my Thrustmaster joystick. Anything above about 5 tends to become noticeable when your're actually using the thing and for me causes problems with my flying. Again I'd advise trying it out to see what works best. You want to use the smallest possible dead zone that will mask the input spiking.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

I don't have that much problem with input spiking... More like trying to when pitching or rolling aircraft not having blended axis inputs. F-15 in the game at high altitude acts strange and a way to fight that is making sure the stick inputs are on single axis at a time.

For example in mig-21 manual it gives you suggested values for these stick settings for authentic feeling of flight controls on the real mig-21.

Edited by Baz000

For the afterburner detent you need to curvet the axis until the physical detent on your throttle matches the one in game. Remember to tick slider.

Or you can make a custom curve if you want a more linear behaviour, but that takes a bit more messing about though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

In the game, go to axis tuning under your specific control setting selection. It'll be the one that is under both throttle and your suncom device.

Then at the bottom of the screen, select the button that says "Tune Axis", and correct from there. This is best done in single player as you can see the effects of your changes in real time without having to exit back to any menus.

Custom curves are definitely an option, however they are not what I use.

You'll know when you hit the sweet spot, when your RPM gauge in game reaches a maximum power setting of 96% RPM and 970 ETIT AT THE DETENT. Anything beyond the physical detent and you should be getting into stage one afterburner.

Edited by Pyroflash

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

I will try this, except on the Suncom throttle there is no "wiggle room" after afterburner detent to have more than 1 stage afterburner. Unless I'm able to adjust the detent on the Suncom to be a but less in power... Right now it is more like off-idle-just shy of max AB, its like that.

I could use more info on how to correctly tune the axis, what settings should I play with, etc...

Axis curvature may not be very effective for your particular joystick setup. Input spiking when breaking out of the deadband sounds like a typical characteristic of a potentiometer control. That being said, your hardware converter has a low pass filter but this only takes out high amplitude, short period inputs. I imagine there is some freeware available to further filter the input and ideally smooth out smaller transient spikes.

It seems to me that with the FUSBA conversion and firmware / software... There is no need to set dead zone in DCS because of the fact the FUSBA eliminates any spiking by automatically detecting necessary dead zone and assigning it.

warning - if your deadzone is set to zero, you won't be able to engage autopilot

i actually prefer my DZ=0 but when i posted here that my autopilot wouldn't engage, i was advised to set DZ>0 ---- AP restored

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just saying I don't have problem of input spiking... but nobody here has explained specifically what settings I need to play with and how specifically to make my throttle match the one in the game.

i think you're going to be down to trial-and-error there baz

seems to me nobody knows - or if they've done it, they're not posting (haven't seen this thread?)

once you get it locked, why don't you share your knowledge??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Logitech 3D Pro curves for my F-15C

Pitch curve = 40

Roll curve = 34

Yaw curve = 30

No deadzones

This set up gives me great control authority in the heat of a fight it provides me with the option for very aggressive (but quick) inputs and also slower more precise control when required

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X curves for my F-15C

Pitch curve = 49

Roll curve = 49

Yaw curve = 0

Deadzone = 3

I use my curves mostly for formation flying and not battle.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Just saying I don't have problem of input spiking... but nobody here has explained specifically what settings I need to play with and how specifically to make my throttle match the one in the game.

Sorry, I misunderstood you're original question. If the pitch and roll axes are mixing, deadzone in DCS could help. Curvature will smooth the transition coming out of the dead band. What settings have you tried? With my Logitech 3D Pro I used a deadzone of 10 and curvature of 20 on pitch and roll.

Regarding the throttle axis, are you not reaching 100% throttle at full stroke? Or are you trying to tune the afterburner detent? If it's the former then simply lower the X saturation. It will reduce the amount of control input required to get 100% in-game. As SDsc0rch said, it's trial and error.

I understand that he wants to tune his afterburner detent.

Somewhat tricky. First go in game and see exactly where the afterburner begins with no curve. Once you find it keep it there and bring up the axis in your controls. Now try to mark the position of the black square with your finger or something (wiggle the throttle ever so slightly if it shows in the middle). Then check slider, and give it negative curve until the black square ends up on the marked position when you bring the throttle to the detent. Check it in the plane and adjust the curve from there until th engines are just under afterburner when at the detent.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

• 1 month later...

Hey,

When you highlight the Axis in the Option menu you wanna change, there should be a button at the bottom which says axis settings. There you can change curves like Deadzone, sensivity, etc...

Hope that helped. I use the German version so the translation couldnt be perfect ;)

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.