Chuck's MiG-21bis Guide

Charly_Owl

One error... The r-55 is ir, the rs2-us is sarh, calling the r55 sarh is the same as calling the r3s sarh, since all cold war Russian missile philosophy was to make ir/sarh variations of all the missile types they could... The r55 specifically is the ir varient, the rs2us is the sarh varient of the same missile.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Chuck, I wonder if its possible to link my MiG-21 Cockpit layout chart at the end of your guide. I always found those Charts helpful to get familiar with the cockpit. So made one for the MiG

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1026153/

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Hi Chuck, I wonder if its possible to link my MiG-21 Cockpit layout chart at the end of your guide. I always found those Charts helpful to get familiar with the cockpit. So made one for the MiG

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1026153/

Done! Thanks for your contribution, mate.

One error... The r-55 is ir, the rs2-us is sarh, calling the r55 sarh is the same as calling the r3s sarh, since all cold war Russian missile philosophy was to make ir/sarh variations of all the missile types they could... The r55 specifically is the ir varient, the rs2us is the sarh varient of the same missile.

Fixed. I am no russian weapons expert, so I am glad someone can help me rectify the information I found.

@Everyone else

Ok, now that the Sabre, MiG-15, P-51, FW190, Bf.109, MiG-21 and the UH-1H are done... which aircraft/rotorcraft do you want next?

I am hesitating between the Mi-8 and the A-10C. Both are very complex machines and will be quite a challenge to do, so I'm curious to have your opinion.

I am hesitating between the Mi-8 and the A-10C. Both are very complex machines and will be quite a challenge to do, so I'm curious to have your opinion.

First the Mi-8, then the A-10C

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Done! Thanks for your contribution, mate.

Fixed. I am no russian weapons expert, so I am glad someone can help me rectify the information I found.

if you want even more info about the RS-2 missile... it was developed for the RP-21 radar, and wasn't exactly sarh, it used a command based system, and was incompatible with the RP-22 radar our bis has, the same thing with the grom missile...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A few minor-to-medium errors spotted by me:

1) page 22 - inner and outer pylons numbered the same;

2) page 24 - canopy levers mixed up;

3) page 47 - horizontal "5" and "10" markers on radar screen do not indicate angle, but distance in km (yes, they're a bit off-scale compared to vertical ones);

4) page 59, point 4) - "gun" mode of upper switch position is up, not down;

5) pages 69 and 80 - "directional" and "automatic" buttons mixed up.

A sidetone. While we're at it, even If You can't read cyrillic, I encourage You to fire up relevant wiki article and try to transliterate the stencils Yourself every now and then, because some of Russian technical aviation terms evolved from English actually. Let's take SAU control panel from page 69 for example. The writings below buttons, left to right, transliterate to: "direkt.", "avtom." and "stabil." respectively. Even for English speaker, that does sound familiar aint' it?

6) from page 77 onwards, PRMG is constantly called either "PRMG" or "PMRG", but If You're really dyslexic, I guess we can live with that :D.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

A few minor-to-medium errors spotted by me:

1) page 22 - inner and outer pylons numbered the same;

2) page 24 - canopy levers mixed up;

3) page 47 - horizontal "5" and "10" markers on radar screen do not indicate angle, but distance in km (yes, they're a bit off-scale compared to vertical ones);

4) page 59, point 4) - "gun" mode of upper switch position is up, not down;

5) pages 69 and 80 - "directional" and "automatic" buttons mixed up.

A sidetone. While we're at it, even If You can't read cyrillic, I encourage You to fire up relevant wiki article and try to transliterate the stencils Yourself every now and then, because some of Russian technical aviation terms evolved from English actually. Let's take SAU control panel from page 69 for example. The writings below buttons, left to right, transliterate to: "direkt.", "avtom." and "stabil." respectively. Even for English speaker, that does sound familiar aint' it?

6) from page 77 onwards, PRMG is constantly called either "PRMG" or "PMRG", but If You're really dyslexic, I guess we can live with that :D.

Wow I must have been sleeping when I wrote those. As for me being dyslexic, you actually guessed right. It's one of the difficulties I have when writing this sort of stuff. As for not being able to read cyrillic... well I learned french, english, spanish and german... but russian I never had the chance to learn. Sorry about that.

I agree with pretty much every point except point 3) on the radar. The horizontal scale actually shows angles, not distance.

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/radar.htm

I thought like you at the beginning until I found this website.

Wow I must have been sleeping when I wrote those. As for me being dyslexic, you actually guessed right. It's one of the difficulties I have when writing this sort of stuff. As for not being able to read cyrillic... well I learned french, english, spanish and german... but russian I never had the chance to learn. Sorry about that.

I agree with pretty much every point except point 3) on the radar. The horizontal scale actually shows angles, not distance.

http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/kraft/radar.htm

I thought like you at the beginning until I found this website.

Absolutely no need to be sorry about anything, I don't quite speak Russian either. Started learning it a bit, out of DCS-fueled curiosity :D (I admit, however, that similarities with my own language make this task somewhat easier). I based my note on assumption You were a guy eager to learn things, which seems to be very correct.

Re. the radar - I based my comment on a "MiG21BIS radar RP-22SM basic description" doc posted by Beczl somewhere here ages ago, back when he was in charge of the project. He might, or might not be correct, though, so we're going to need at least a third source to draw final conclusions ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Absolutely love your guide...i just tried nuclear bomb delivery, and managed to get it launched with over the shoulder method...and while wtaching outside camera, just as bomb impacted...guess what...y pc crashed !!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

The radar shows both angles, and range, on both scales...

when you don't have something locked, it's range on the vertical scale and angle on the horizontal scale.

when you do have something locked, the horizontal scale is range and angle, and the vertical scale is angle.

there are two vertical lines that move horizontally inwards towards the center when you have something locked.

when your target is directly forwards of you, and those two vertical lines are on the 5, the target is 5km from you....

if the target is on the 5 on the horizontal scale, and the two vertical lines are at 0 and 10, the target is 5km from you, and 5 degrees to one side...

as for the vertical scale... it's super simple...

when something isn't locked, its range, e.g. if the target is half way between the 10 and the 0, it's 5km away.

when something is locked, it's angle, e.g. if the target is above the + it's above you.

ZZcwvv2.jpg

Edited by Hadwell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thansk! great wrok ;)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

when you don't have something locked, it's range on the vertical scale and angle on the horizontal scale.

I don't buy this part. What's the point of building a radar with 60 deg scanning range in azimuth, if only a third part of it can be displayed on pilot's screen?

I've just made a test in "target practice mission", turning to the right of the first target until it showed up on "10" mark on horizontal scale in scanning mode. Then on F10 map I've checked our relative bearings and distances. It turns out, the target plane was 16 degrees to my left. With a distance of 10 km from my plane, the horizontal distance from my centerline would be 2.8 km then. That would indicate the horizontal scale provides neither distance nor angle in radar scanning mode.

Edit: Checked the lock mode by putting a locked "birdie" on "10" mark and repeating procedure. 22 degrees to my left (?!). Don't know what to think about it :D.

Edited by Art-J

In Startup Procedures, Step #10, you list "GYRO switch for instrument sets # 1 & # 2 and AC Generator ON (FWD)." But in the image for Step #10 I only see yellow arrows for the 2 GYROs? Not for AC Generator.

Were you referring to the AC Gen - Gnd Power, which you added to Step # 2?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

(re: Message #1)

I recently purchased Mig-21 on half-price sale. Your guide is going to save me a lot of time concerning setup and the learning curve.

I use CH Products controllers and have 54 programmable G-keys of my Logitech G510 keyboard.

Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm just going to chime in with another thank you, Chuck! Simply an amazing piece of work, broken down so anyone can understand it. I love the added humor, too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

Tutorial has been added to the ED wiki Mig-21 Tutorial collection...first entry by the way ;)

great work though

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective