Black Shark 2 - Cannon HE / AP issue

Hi All

I have a question about the difference between two types of cannon HE and AP. I know actually that HE are High Explosive which are filled with explosives that detonate on impact, when AP are armor-piercing designed to penetrate armor of vehicles. But when I play Black Shark 2 the effectiveness of AP shells against armour vehicles is terrible compare to HE. Is enough a few correct shoots with HE shells and tank will be destroyed, when AP shells against the same target are pretty much useless. Is it a bug in game or what? Did you notice this in your game as well? Thanks for any comments

My impression was that effectiveness of HE and AP has been vastly improved with the last patches. But I can be wrong. I thought the AP are finaly effective against BMPs and you can finaly straff a group of tangos with some splash effects.

I clearly remember in the earlier versions how totaly useless AP was against anything more armored than a truck and how a HE shell could hit at the feet of an infantry without killîg him.

There are many inconsistencies with DCS weapons right now. I'm trying to get them to revise the damage and lethality parameters. HE should actually have a lethal radius of 3m for troops.. and there are many other inconsistencies. Contribute to this thread if you'd like to voice the fact that you'd like to see weapons lethality revised:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135598

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

HE rounds got powered up several patches ago (not only for the Ka-50, but all cannons, as well as unguided rockets) - seemingly with the intent to compensate for the lack of proper shrapnell damage modelling in DCS. This has the "side effect" that HE is now not only (more realistically) effective against soft targets, but also (unrealistically ...) high effective against armored targets.

I'm not seeing 2m lethality in my HEI tests

attachment.php?attachmentid=117401&d=1431180239

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I'm not seeing 2m lethality in my HEI tests

attachment.php?attachmentid=117401&d=1431180239

And I am not seeing a distance of 2 meters! If that guy is i.e. 1.8 meters tall, he would fit in about twice into the distance of where he's standing and the center of the explosion. ;o)

But I am totally with you - the current work around is not satisfactory by any means - even without the HE vs armor problem it introduced.

Edited by Flagrum

HE Vs T 55 .... No Chance.

With AP you can destroy them.

AP ammunition is also more effective on NATO APCs because they are better protected than their Russian counterparts where HE rounds are the better solution.

Also the distance to your Target play's a role while using AP rounds.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Thanks for all comments. Some of you mentioned the patches. My game version is 1.1.1.1. Is this the latest one? I can't find any patches directly on DCS website (I'm surprised of that). So where do you have guys this patches from? I have bought the game on Gamefly (currently is Direct2Drive).

Edited by freespirit

Thanks for all comments. Some of you mentioned the patches. My game version is 1.1.1.1. Is this the latest one? I can't find any patches directly on DCS website (I'm surprised of that). So where do you have guys this patches from? I have bought the game on Gamefly (currently is Direct2Drive).

1.1.1.1 is really old, in the region of 3 years out of date.

We're up to 1.2.16.39472 now. Download DCS World and install BS2 as a module in that (via the module manager) to get the most up to date version. Patches are done automatically by the patcher that's integrated into DCS World.

1.1.1.1 is really old, in the region of 3 years out of date.

We're up to 1.2.16.39472 now. Download DCS World and install BS2 as a module in that (via the module manager) to get the most up to date version. Patches are done automatically by the patcher that's integrated into DCS World.

thanks. I will do this then to get the newest version. Cheers