Should be able to use ILS as nav source.

wess24m

You should be able to tune the am nav radio to a ILS freq and have directional finding when within range. Currently once you pick up an ILS freq the course setting does nothing, IE needle stays on the same course regardless of course setting on VOR gauge.

*edit

You should also be able to contact JTAC with the FM radio for talk on and smoke marking of the target.

Edited by wess24m

i always had problem with this bird on navigation via radios. i thought it just me because i watched some videos which showed radio navigation like ils or fm but whenever i tried nav instruments; i just hear annoying signals but see nothing at gauges no matter what

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I don't understand your problem.

ILS work as expected, i just try on Kobuleti AB.

ILS IRL is semi-omnidirectional. As an example I can pick up ILS signals in my area with my SDR while i'm not in beam of the ILS directional array. Most of the ILS is faced in the direction opposite of the landing runway to give the ILS needle guidance. That being said, you should be able to pick up an ILS signal regardless if you're in the main beam of the ILS approach beam, because of signals broadcasting omnidirectionally.

The ILS works, but not as it should. It's fixed to the course (regardless of the course bearing selection in the huey) of the runway when in reality and in other aircraft as the a-10 you have to adjust the course setting to get a proper alignment with the runway.

Not that I expect the sim to replicate the proper working of an ILS system (ILS is 3 carriers that modulate on both the upper side and lower side of the center freq) but you can use the current ILS system in the a-10 as a navigational aid even when you're not in beam of the array.

i always had problem with this bird on navigation via radios. i thought it just me because i watched some videos which showed radio navigation like ils or fm but whenever i tried nav instruments; i just hear annoying signals but see nothing at gauges no matter what

One or more of them may have been my tutorials on the huey. I made some videos that the huey dev's listed as unofficial training videos. To my knowledge the things i showed in my videos still work. jojothecircusboy on youtube for the videos, I believe they're also listed in one of the stickies in the huey forum.

To simplify what i'm describing; Imagine not having to only be able to navigate to an airbase (via radio) only if it has a ADF transmitter at the field (which is few and far between). If this VOR NAV radio was working as IRL, you could tune to the ILS freq ( which many airbases DO have) and get directional information in the huey instead of flying by map.

Another broken function.

In DCS now you can receive the ILS signal when you're behind a mountain, but you can't receive it when your are just in front of the signal !

In fact the problem is that ILS sight has been inverted in an previous update and never corrected. I still wait a fix.

Wait, are you try to navigate to an airbase with an ILS frequency ?

Yes, IRL life you can do it (see my above post) and last time I tried in the a-10, it's possible in-game. I'd settle for the ILS working properly in the huey (course setting working correctly) anyways but being able to use ILS as a near field (15-20 miles) navigation source (as you can IRL) would be a bonus.

Also full functionality of the FM radio.

In this case, ILS works fine. No problem when i am in range.

Only VOR have two problems.

Losing signal when too near and needle inverted. When you are to the right of the track, needle move to the right also... Same on the left too.

People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters

In this case, ILS works fine. No problem when i am in range.

Only VOR have two problems.

Losing signal when too near and needle inverted. When you are to the right of the track, needle move to the right also... Same on the left too.

The ILS course setting is broken. As of now the ILS is fixed on runway heading with is fine if you're just using it for ILS, but thats not how the ILS system works. You need to have the course correct to properly aline the ILS needles. ILS is not a ADF transmitter with no course correction ability. I guess it helps to know how ILS works IRL and in other aircraft in DCS.

Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly.

When tuned to an ILS/LLZ frequency the setting of the Course Needle will not have any effect on the Course Deviation Indicator.

The Course Deviation Indicator simply indicates your alignment with regard to the two radiation patterns originating at the ILS/LLZ transmitter.

http://instrument.landingsystem.com/ils-ground-equipment/#localizer-transmitter

If you are aligned on the ILS/LLZ then the CDI will be centered regardless of the Course Needle setting. The Course Needle could be set at 90 deg to the final track and the CDI would still be centered if you were aligned on the final track.

It is good practice to set the Course Needle to the final track as it makes interpreting the CDI information much easier.

This is different to tuning to the VOR frequency which transmits the radial information in its signal. Changing the Course Needle will directly affect the CDI as it will indicate the deviation with regard to the selected Course.

No idea if it's modelled correctly in DCS, haven't loaded it up in a long time.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your post.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

You're right HuggyBear, that's why ILS works fine :)

In ILS, you can not select a desired track or course. Just be in front of runway then centered both needles to follow the glide.

With A-10, which have an HSI, you can change the course but it do not affect the needle.

Exemple: runway at 60°, my heading 60°. i can change the course at 90°, the needle stay centered if i follow ILS.

With Huey, it's just an OBS, so you just have to follow needles and centered them. Course have no effect.

Only with a VOR, you can change course which have to move vertical needle.

People fly planes, pilots fly helicopters

My mistake. I was basing this off having the HSI acting like it was tuned to a VOR when it was tuned to an ILS in the a10 a while back. Upon reading more about the behavour of the ILS I conceed that you guys were right. Learned something new today. :thumbup:

Now if we can implement FM communication with the JTAC i'll be happy. Somebody posted a mod to make JTAC work with the blackshark and I wrote him asking if he could point me in the right direction as to which .LUA files i need to edit or possibly write a version for the huey.

Edited by wess24m

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

If I'm reading this correct the problem is the person is trying to tune into an ILS signal like a VOR. The ILS only send out one radial. That is there is only one course available to track. You could do an ILS back course but I'm not sure if its modeled in DCS.

In conclusion, the only way to track to an airport using an ILS frequency is to approach the field and fly the approach. You should also see a much shorter range (20nm).

Hope I was able to help.

-TickJackson

• 8 months later...