Mi-8MTV2 News

please show the problem with the help of screenshots of these the gauges (instruments).

I didn't express myself right: For example, I mean that the numbers on the heading indicator (if that's the correct term, I mean the instrument to the left of the Doppler-indicator and left/down from the g-meter) are nearly impossible to read (unless you zoom in). Look at Zaelu's screenshot right after your post (#119), I cannot read his heading without having to try really hard. Maybe it's my eyes, but I don't have any difficulties in the other cockpits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@wolle

at that distance from the instruments and with only 1920x1080 pixels on the image is quite hard to make an image that can display text readable. But you can make it look natural or myopic natural with good texture saving method.

for example in my screenshot that instrument has about 100x100 pixels

Ws0hQah.png

lets enlarge it but we maintain all the pixels (no filtering) so we can see how much detail we might squeeze in

bZtxiXb.png

So these are the pixels you have... try to write better numbers with a squared brush the size of pixels squares an see if it gets better. You need to take in consideration that that is a filtered image by the video card. So when you get... if you get a bit of better clarity then the VGA card will still need to apply anisotropic filtering and some shaders maybe so the image will feet in the grand picture from other parametric perspectives. That will blur the image a bit no doubt so you will lose instantly the little you have gain.

Now if you switch to 4k... yo will see how the story changes because this is is the same instrument in the original texture

BwHZJRl.png

So the texture can hold detail till 4K without problems having 400x400 pixels

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Hi Zaelu,

Thanks for the explanations, but I am not sure I completely follow (you'll have to dumb it down for me:)

Do you say that I have to resave the textures in a higher resolution (and if so, why doesn't Belsimtek do that in the first place). What program to use to resave textures? I have 25xx pixels horizontally (don't remember the exact resolution) for my screen, but the cockpit resolution is limited to 1024 pixels anyway, right, no matter how good your monitor is, right?

Screenshot shows how it looks on my monitor.

Screen_150711_182910.thumb.jpg.249ed5f4e0373d4e7a6367672c3cb0e0.jpg

Edited by wolle
added screenshot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Also, make sure you've got the texture quality set to the highest possible settings. It helps.

My "textures" setting in the graphics options is set to high (see attached picture). Is there another place where I can select better textures?

Screen_150711_184721.thumb.jpg.1c20d90f3d215e104a25c86725791b62.jpg

Edited by wolle
added screenshot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Do you say that I have to resave the textures in a higher resolution (and if so, why doesn't Belsimtek do that in the first place). What program to use to resave textures? I have 25xx pixels horizontally (don't remember the exact resolution) for my screen, but the cockpit resolution is limited to 1024 pixels anyway, right, no matter how good your monitor is, right?

No, Belsimtek doesn't have to resave the texture in higher resolution for now... they work even for 4K which is a bit bigger than your resolution. Also the 1024 you are talking about is for Cockpit Displays meaning all MFD in the DCS cockpits are another display that is rendered on top of the main picture and they have a different resolution for optimal performance which in your case is 1024. I use 512 for example. Also if you get in A10C you have to set "1024 for all" so you get both MFDs and probably HUD also to have each 1024.

Back to what I said.

You can have a 16K monitor... if you are looking at a gauge that is far away in the cockpit because of the head position and FOV (field o vision) and that gauge occupies only 100x100 pixels from the 16K resolution you will not be able to distinguish clearly what it reads.

That's why you need to lean forward or zoom... or both.

You are using original textures it seems, so maybe Belsimtek can do something about it... a little bit. They are using only 3MIP levels in their DDS files and more are needed for a better filtering. The resave is a 10 seconds job in photoshop and adds only 200kb to the files or so...

You can try Devrim english cockpit to see how it looks. I think he started resaving the textures with full number of MIPs.

more info on mip maps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

You can have a 16K monitor... if you are looking at a gauge that is far away in the cockpit because of the head position and FOV (field o vision) and that gauge occupies only 100x100 pixels from the 16K resolution you will not be able to distinguish clearly what it reads.
Higher resolution should help since, in a given scene, the area of interest which occupied 100x100 pixels at 1080p would occupy an area of 200x200 pixels on a 2160p screen (~4K). That's four times as many pixels.

No, Belsimtek doesn't have to resave the texture in higher resolution for now... they work even for 4K which is a bit bigger than your resolution. Also the 1024 you are talking about is for Cockpit Displays meaning all MFD in the DCS cockpits are another display that is rendered on top of the main picture and they have a different resolution for optimal performance which in your case is 1024. I use 512 for example. Also if you get in A10C you have to set "1024 for all" so you get both MFDs and probably HUD also to have each 1024.

Back to what I said.

That's why you need to lean forward or zoom... or both.

You are using original textures it seems, so maybe Belsimtek can do something about it... a little bit. They are using only 3MIP levels in their DDS files and more are needed for a better filtering. The resave is a 10 seconds job in photoshop and adds only 200kb to the files or so...

You can try Devrim english cockpit to see how it looks. I think he started resaving the textures with full number of MIPs.

more info on mip maps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

Great, thanks for the explanation, now I understand.

My only question left: why do I not have the same troubles in other cockpits (UH-1H,Sabre,Mig-15) is it simply a result of their gauges being naturally bigger with bolder lettering in the real aircraft, or is it (and now we are back to my original request to Belsimtek) that the Mi-8 cockpit it not made to the same standard as the other three, and can be improved?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Great, thanks for the explanation, now I understand.

My only question left: why do I not have the same troubles in other cockpits (UH-1H,Sabre,Mig-15) is it simply a result of their gauges being naturally bigger with bolder lettering in the real aircraft, or is it (and now we are back to my original request to Belsimtek) that the Mi-8 cockpit it not made to the same standard as the other three, and can be improved?

We will try to find what could be wrong..

Hey could u work a little with mi8 visual and other aspects of damage model to match those in huey. Damage model in Huey is very good we dont need more than that.

What i mean is right now we cant destroy landing gear completely in mi8 only tires, so we need more destroyable objects in model, maybe weapon pods, and better damage texture for hull.

The most important thing is of course working fan in cockpit. ;)

News No.10

News No.10

The external resistance for voltage control of STG-3 starter-generator is now implemented. Circuit breaker is located on the right hand electric panel.

5777266.jpg

Standby generator voltage is controlled before it's getting turned in aircraft electrical system by putting rotary switch to «РЕЗЕР ГЕН» (Standby generator) position.

7567340.jpg

While checking the AI-9V engine work it's also necessary to check the function of STG-3 starter-generator. To do that it's needed having normal AI-9V engine RPM to put voltage control rotary switch to «РЕЗЕР ГЕН» (Standby generator) position.

Voltmeter V-1 should indicate voltage of 27 ... 28 V.

In case of voltage runaway adjust it by tuning external resistance (РЕГУЛИР.НАПРЯЖ.) located on the right hand electric panel.

Good luck to all in Your virtual flights!:)

Translated by - 7246389.jpg Laivynas Moderator/ED Testers Team:thumbup:

I know some bit crazy guy that will jump up of joy at this news :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank You. This is a wonderful level of detail. I really like all of the changes presented here. I can't wait to try it all!

Please

Stop quoting other photos. It's against forum rules and steals bandwidth and it's hard to catch up with my phone. I do share your pleasure though :)

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

News No.11

News No.11

The external resistance "VS-33А" «I — РЕГУЛИРОВАНИЕ НАПРЯЖЕНИЯ — II» (I - voltage control - II) is now implemented.

5877533.jpg

After generators are turned on it's needed to activate load and check voltages of the busses. As a load should be turned on: rectifiers, maximum possible quantity of DC consumers, radios and navigation equipment. Voltage can be controlled via rotary switch according to voltmeter VF-0.4-250 indication.

5872412.jpg

Electrical system also contain voltage control between generators' phases (line voltage), external power and ~115 V lines voltages control. The external resistances "VS-33А" «I — РЕГУЛИРОВАНИЕ НАПРЯЖЕНИЯ — II» (I - voltage control - II) adjust generators' voltages to 204 V. In operation of electrical system phase-to-phase (line voltage) generators' voltages should be within the range of 200 to 208 V.

Fly in a right way. :)

Translated by - 7246389.jpg Laivynas Moderator/ED Testers Team:thumbup:

Edited by AlexandrT

@AlexandrT: Will the Mi 8 startup training mission be changed to reflect these new switches and functions?

After all of these changes to the cockpit systems of the Mi 8, Im not sure I will know how to turn her on anymore :)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I have two question.

It Is planned for the future that the Mi-8 carry the internal fuel tank?

If the first is possible, is capable the Mi-8 with this internal fuel tank supply fuel to another unit (I guess should carry also a fuel pump to do this job)???

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have two question.

It Is planned for the future that the Mi-8 carry the internal fuel tank?

If the first is possible, is capable the Mi-8 with this internal fuel tank supply fuel to another unit (I guess should carry also a fuel pump to do this job)???

Just a question, is this a normal payload? A big tank inside the cargo store or something like that?

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]