Chuck's UH-1H Huey Guide

Charly_Owl

Just stunning work mate, thankyou very very much for taking the time for doing it.

Downloaded onto the iPad ready for next flight.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Also downloaded to iPad, great rescource for when in the pit, I have learnt so much already.

Thank you very much.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

thansk! great wrok ;)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

thanks!!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

do you use rudder trim? it looked too hard to me because as you said physical pedals have springs so they are centered after tehy are released. but virtual rudders keep their trimmed position and sometimes they lose their position and make strange and instant movements.

do ypu always hold the trim button when you hover? or release after finding correct location?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

do you use rudder trim? it looked too hard to me because as you said physical pedals have springs so they are centered after tehy are released. but virtual rudders keep their trimmed position and sometimes they lose their position and make strange and instant movements.

do ypu always hold the trim button when you hover? or release after finding correct location?

I don't use rudder trim.

Trim works in a very simple way: press trim, release it and the cyclic will remain at the position it was. You don't need to hold the trim switch.

Great stuff! Thanks a lot!

I hope I'll find time to read all this!

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Redrawn Diagrams

I found the charts a little bit blurry, so I re-made them with InkScape. Feel free to use them in your guide. I also added colours for easier readings. I hope they are accurate enough

UH1-Chart_Hover.thumb.png.3a7e8be9dd25f9ea799ca5790d835412.png

UH1-Chart_Max_Torque.thumb.png.e01bfb4ed314e431be6de6a7cad2af42.png

UH1-Chart_Hover_power.thumb.png.4f00e37e52930ef71e0df41adb221b94.png

I7-9700K -- 32GB RAM -- RTX 4070 -- Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle + WarBRD Base -- Thrustmaster TPR -- Quest 3 

Hi Everyone,

Not to diminish the great work done by Chuck, I've found another great resource we all can use. The FAA has most of its publications ready for download.

I just downloaded the FAA Helicopter Flying Manual.

Here is the link:http://www.

faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/helicopter_flying_handbook/

P.S.

Chuck, Are you working on an Mi-8, or an A-10C guide? Thanks. Your Mig-21 guide is a work of art!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously good guide and an excellent starting point for all learners and a good refresher for experienced pilots too.

Thank you Chuck.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

As a 20 year Heli mech I congratulate you on an outstanding job.

Bravo Zulu !

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chuck,

You make the greatest guides:beer:...are you going to make one for the KA-50 or any fixed wings?

Just wondering...

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Hey Chuck,

You make the greatest guides:beer:...are you going to make one for the KA-50 or any fixed wings?

Just wondering...

He did: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765 (but not for Ka-50, yet)

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

I have received these questions a number of times via PM, so I'll answer here:

Q: Will you do a Ka-50 guide at some point?

A: Yes.

Q: When?

A: I cannot give specific dates since my schedule got really really busy.

Q: I mean, seriously... when?

A: Currently, I have zero free time to work on it (job + master's degree + DCS testing). I don't expect to have anything released until at the very least 2016.

• 1 year later...

Finally ...

I come from flying helis in Battle Field (also some "RC-stuff") ... and thought it was time for a new challenge.

So I invested in a new computer and downloaded the DCS platform + the Huey ...

It did not take me long to realize, I had to forget EVERYTHING I thought I knew about flying a real Heli!

Flying :pilotfly: and basic "weapons handling" :gun_smilie: was not a problem to learn by trial and error + some helpful YouTube videos ...

It only took me about 50 hours to figure out how to fly "smooth", without the constant "wobbling", I had in the beginning :music_whistling: (basically caused by trying to fly this beauty the same way I used to fly the Helis in BF.)

You should have seen my face, the first time I "over pushed" the collective and the rotor blades took off without me ... :huh:

... but there is so much to learn about "everything else"!!!

Just started reading this "guide" and YES ... this seems to be written in a language that I can understand :thumbup:

Even with +50 hours behind the sticks, I still feel like a total noob!

This guide will be printed and read over and over again ... thank you for the effort you have put in to it!

And if someone feels like "taking on" a rookie (40yo) ... just send me a PM :smilewink:

Intel i7-6700K

GTX1070 Dual OC

Ram 32GB 2133MHz

40yo? Rookie? Nothing to be embarrassed. Really.

2 years ago, I had a chance to put my hands on controls of the real world C172. (The guy who let me to do so was a CFII so technically it was 100% legal ... at least in our country ... and we stayed in a class D airspace so we had another pair of eyes watching for the traffic.) The feeling was very different. I've played flight sims for 20 years and I was lost. In the sim you have situation awareness solely from your eyes or eyes+force feedback stick. IRL you feel the plane by your ass. That's probably the reason why the real world pilots say "pants in the seat". The guy even told me that he couldn't properly land an aircraft in FSX because he wasn't used to the very different feel for the aircraft...

The Chuck's guides are invaluable. And overcontrolling a helicopter in simulator is so easy... Just watch some youtube videos from DCS Huey pilots. Almost all of them overcontrol her.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo the many, thankyou for these truly wonderful guides Chuck!

I have recently got back into DCS and am also a VR convert ( Truly a match made in heaven ). I have flown a bit in the Gazelle but have been drawn back to the Huey... BIG difference in how they fly! But I'm getting used to it and have just started in earnest in learning the startup and basic flight. ( Thanks mostly to your guide!!! )

@Cibit

I would like to do some multi player stuff at some point ( when I feel I wont be more hinderance than asset ) so if you have any extra cpacity please give us a shout. ( The main draw back with VR is having to keep taking it off to read the manual! LOL )

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.