using the a-a missles in F-86

Ramstein

In using the F-86 a-a missiles, might as well get out, go knock on the enemy pilots' door, ask him to roll down the window so you can toss in the grenade.. you must get up very close and personal on the bandit's 6 to get a half decent lock and for the missile to actually hit the thing.. IMHO :megalol:

btw, one of our pilots flew off Navy carriers around that time of Korea, I will ask him about that particular missile.. it definitely is no Aim 9 ! Or a contemporary of same type..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

btw, one of our pilots flew off Navy carriers around that time of Korea, I will ask him about that particular missile.. it definitely is no Aim 9 ! Or a contemporary of same type..

Actually, it is an AIM 9B....mostly effective against non-manoeuvre ing targets. I would guess I have about a 25% success rate with it, you must release it within the strict parameters.

The R-3S was seen by the West in 1961 and given the NATO reporting name AA-2A 'Atoll'. Minimum engagement range for the R-3S is about one kilometre. All K-13 variants are physically similar to Sidewinder, sharing the 5 inch (127 mm) diameter. Subsequent examination of AA-2 missiles captured by NATO forces showed that parts from an AIM-9 could be interfaced with parts from an AA-2 and either combination would still work...

In 1972, when the Finnish Air Force started using Sidewinder (AIM-9P) in their Saab 35 Draken fighters, they were already using Soviet-made Atoll in their MiG-21s; Finns found the two so similar that they tested Sidewinders in MiGs and Atolls in Drakens

We would be better off with the Leatherneck AA-2 Atoll. From the sound of it, a real-life Atoll could fit under an F-86! :megalol:

Edited by 1.JaVA_Platypus

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

The GAR-8 a.k.a. AIM-9B was a notoriously bad missile. It was prone to outright failure, being fooled by the sun, ground reflections and so forth. I think I was telling people you'd have to fly around 5 missions to hope for one hit when firing both missiles each mission if it were realistic. Google is your friend. That said, it can be done. I don't have much luck with them but my buddy smoked a MiG-15Bis first shot the first time we went up. And I have managed hit rarely as well.

Haven't used these for month but, the only thing I could hit with a semblance of reliability using 9B is Su-25. MiG-15 seem to have a lesser heat signature, and is more nimble.

Still I think these perform a bit too good in DCS. Normally warhead is puny but in sim it makes a mess of things if it can hit. Also it has a minimum range about a whole kilometer but we seem to get hits with pretty close shots. I tend to think it should suck even more than it does :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I've only been able to get down aircraft from an ambush-like position with these missilies (never any Mig-15s). For example, in this mission I deliberately set the Mig-21s to pass me by and give me a chance to come up from behind. If they'd spot me, they'd just turn to loiter-mode and I'd never get a hit (a lock, yes - but absolutely no hit).

And those are two of my very few kills with this weapon :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

The trick to score with GAR-8's is patience.

Keep chasing the bandit and don't fire too early! You want the bandit to be low on energy and not in a turn. If fighting against AI - wait until he goes vertical. When he's almost out of energy, aim a little bit above him and fire.

Wasn't the GAR-8 designed to shoot down big planes?

Never heard of that regarding the Sidewinder, but in the context of F-86, perhaps you're thinking of F-86D with the unguided Mk4 missiles?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 1 month later...
In

Correct, The Aim9b wasn't used in the Korean war.

aim9b under navy designation

gar8 under air force designation(until 1964, before they began refer to it as the aim9b), didn't enter operational service until 1956.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

apart from the F86F block 35 being a unique sabre( small amounts) fitted with LABS system for toss bombing. also this sabre in dcs has post Korean war provisions circa 1956 fitted on to it to be able to arm & fire this missile.

so technically airframe wise, and with regards to the engine , this sabre performs the same like a Korean era f86f block 25, but has some post Korean upgrades, so this specific sabre model never was used in Korean war.

F86F block 40s exported to republic of china, were the first sabers to use aim9bs in combat, against communist chinese mig15 &17s.

the second Taiwan straight crisis in 1958.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p86_12.html

http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/538427e38c07e7e8318b4687/second-taiwan-strait-crisis-quemoy-and-matsu-islands-23-august-1958---01-january-1959/

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...