Post your first flightsim

Random

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling games back then flight sims is a bit of a stretch by modern standards, but my first flying game was MSFS 1.0 on one of those big floppy disks. I was 4-5 years old at the time and both the computer and the game were older than I was. First one I played with a joystick was the Aces collectors pack (Red Baron, Aces over Europe, Ace of the Pacific, A-10) around 1990.

this was mine (Chuck Yeager Advanced Flight Simulator)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/chuck-yeagers-advanced-flight-simulator

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

TopGun fire at will on the Commodore!

250px-85004-15440.jpg

I spent countless hours playing this as a young teenager, I still get nostalgic about it, perhaps being young helped but it was just a fantastic game to play, you really didn't know what would happen and the voice-overs really made it immersive!

Then I moved on to Microsoft Flight Simulators and flew for various virtual airlines as well as the virtual Royal Airforce. I still fly on VATSIM and really enjoy flying Concorde back and forth from London to New York. I'm in the top 5 VATSIM Concorde pilots for flight time and number 1 for the C-17 Globemaster! Two aircraft I love dearly!

I found DCS a month or so after the release of FC2 and have not looked back! I was sold on it within the first 3 seconds on hearing about it, the F-15 has been one of my favourite jets since I was very young and to fly it and fight with it in this DCS World has been a dream come true after my time 'dogfighting' with jets using MSFS only.

Intro video is hilarious also! :D

vUUMKHmtqXo

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

First Computer one ( not even mine, another kid flying R/C aircraft with me had it and let me play it a few times)

3kCvSyJaYbc

I think this is the first one I had since we couldn't afford a computer

HJQTFSQO0c4

They may not be consider "Sim" now, but I thought they were awesome back then. :joystick:

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I was a bit late for the party, having missed the whole Commodore, Amiga etc. era, 'cause my family couldn't afford them. So a '94 PC was my first computer and "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" played hand in hand with "Aces of the Pacific" were my first flight sims and first games ever for that matter (not counting Win 3.11 Solitaire ;) ). The latter one was responsible for my PTO and CBI fix, which lasts till today (eagerly waiting for DCSW to go there as well).

There was a short youtube clip of "AotP" being played with horrendous sounds provided by glorious PC speaker :D, as it as on my PC back then, but I can't find it now.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Wow! That's a topic! Anyone here remembers Sinclair ZX Spectrum? My first flight sims were on this platform. They are the

and the
(watch from 2:19). I don't really remember which one was 'the first' first. I was around 8 or 9 at the moment, and it was a striking experience: to fly an aircraft from the pilot's point of view. Now they do not look as convincing :)

Back when I was living with my parents I played this on my mothers PC.

f15_strike_eagle_large.jpg

I fell in love with computer gaming/simulators from then on. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I feel old now.

Old ? Don't worry :)

I feel experienced :D

Psion Flight Simulation on Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1982) :joystick:

Psion_Flight_Simulation_on_ZX_Spectrum.pngPsion_Flight_Simulation_cover.jpg

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

Gunship of course ;)

GunshipMicroproseTapeInlay01.jpg

Same!!!!!:thumbup:

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

My first one... I have not identified it yet. It was for C64, mostly just a gun piper visible. When you went low alt a flat square grid represented the ground. Was was notable about it is it was very fluid for a C64 game. I'm pretty sure it was entirely 2D (as opposed to pseudo 3D of some othe sims).

Then, on my own C64:

Fighter Bomber (Activision)

F-14

ACE

Gunship