Mi-8 has rudder pedals trimmer.

I decided to share with community the version of the solution of traveling management on the Mi-8MTV. My pedals-7212102.jpg.

On the Mi-8MTV there is a trimming of pedals.

But main problem is that after trimming IRL pedals "remember" their last position which is usually not the central one. It can be full right or left rudder.

Our gaming pedals always stay in central position. Simmers feet are also always centered despite position of virtual pedals after trimming.

To attain equal pedals' position IRL and in simulator I simply dismounted my pedals and took out centering spring. Than turned off pedal trim in simulator settings.

The result was perfect. My feet and virtual pedals are now synchronised. Now You can feel right limit and right pedal position on overloaded helicopter and left rudder during quick descend having collective full down.

What about trimmer effect for pedals which I turned off? IRL trimmer click and pedals stays in current position. Pilot don't feel any additional effects but only elimination of need to push pedals. So now I have just same thing - gaming pedals stay in last position because there is no spring for them to be turned to "zero point". Just added some friction to load simulating mechanism and that's it.

I choose that method of controlling the helicopter as a most realistic one compared to RL. Directional stability greatly improved without any unwanted disturbances.

I have almost 4'000 RL flight hours for Mi-8, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'll be glad if my experience will help anybody to improve his simming experience with Mi-8!

Translated by - 7246389.jpg Laivynas Moderator/ED Testers Team

Edited by AlexandrT
  • Like 1

Wow, a true Soviet Mil Pilot

Honestly dude, I'm impressed... two things I would like in my life is :

Be a Huey pilot

Be a Mil heli pilot

Your Red Crossed aircrafts have so much appeal, both fighters and helis, they truly deserve much respect.

Happy flying comrade

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Thank You Alexandr for Your input. I don't quite understand all aspects of it, though. Your description applies only to the flight without heading channel of the autopilot, right? When heading channel is on, the only way of synchronizing virtual and real pedals would be developing some FFB mechanism, which would move them according to autopilot command, am I correct?

What does "rudder trim" option is special tab of Mi-8 module do? Does it "lock" the virtual pedals in off-center position when trim button is pressed, as You describe? I always had this option off and never gave a second thought about it.

What does "central position trimmer mode" option do?. It doesn't seem to be explained neither in quick start nor in full English draft manual.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team
__ Your description applies only to the flight without heading channel of the autopilot, right?

correct

__When heading channel is on, the only way of synchronizing virtual and real pedals would be developing some FFB mechanism, which would move them according to autopilot command, am I correct?

certainly

__What does "rudder trim" option is special tab of Mi-8 module do? ..

__What does "central position trimmer mode" option do?. ..

yet we weigh the options final implementation of these functions

I'm sure the internet would be full of modded FFB Pedals if DCS would support FFB on rudder axis. I think is the easiest to do since it only needs one axis and very simple to mod one. One big wheel actuated by a small engine with smaller wheel to increase torque and a piston for dampening. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 1 year later...

I'm necroing this thread as I have some questions on the rudder trim and heading autopilot channel.

Just like AlexandrT I use a set of rudder pedals with no spring force (MFG Crosswind with removed spring + G940 FFB for cyclic + Warthog throttle for collective).

As I understand, the heading autopilot channel will only be programmed & engaged when the pilot remove his feet from the pedals to disengage the small switches on the pedals.

So say a real pilot take off with Mi-8 with heading autopilot system on but disconnected due to pedal pressure. After taking off the pilot pushes the stick trim button so forces on both cyclic & pedals gets removed.

Now as the pilot removes feet from pedals the heading autopilot will engage and keep the helicopter flying locked in same heading.

The pedals will stay in the same position and not return to center due to rudder force trim used.

This doesn't happen ingame. After trimming the cyclic and pedals virtually I still have to move the pedals to centre for the heading autopilot to engage making the nose first swing left as I add left pedal, then right as autopilot engages to try to control heading. This simulated behavior only works with usual artificial rudder trim method when you have to center pedals for trim to take effect.

Easiest way to fix this would be to add an option to make the force trimmer button also program the heading autopilot like how it works in Ka-50.

I understand that this is not exactly how it works irl (pedal switches program heading autopilot, not force trim switch) but the effect and procedure would be same as irl (deflect stick and pedals to get wanted aircraft attitude, trim & remove feet from pedals).

Hope that made any sense, Love the Mi-8!

Edited by Penshoon

Otter

• 1 month later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Art-J View Post

__What does "rudder trim" option is special tab of Mi-8 module do? ..

__What does "central position trimmer mode" option do?. ..

PilotMI8:

yet we weigh the options final implementation of these functions

So, do I take that as they don't do anything right now? I'm confused :unsure:

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

^ These replies were given 1,5 years ago. The options certainly do something now:

a) "rudder trim" checked causes the virtual rudder pedals to stay in trimmed position after pushing the trim button on the stick, but because it will be confusing for people who own standard gaming pedals / twist joysticks (as these devices' position will not match virtual pedals), it might be better to leave this option unchecked and just fly with no pedal trimming capability, even though real chopper has it; In that case, only the cyclic stick is trimmable;

b) "central position trimmer mode" enables stick trimming as explained in quick start manual (virtual remains in trimmed position, while You have to center the real one). It's equal to "default" option I believe. The "stick without FFB and springs" option allows the virtual stick to always remain in the same position as the real one, even after trimming.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

After today's update I flew the Mi-8 again (after a long pause) but I seem to have a problem with the Trim in general that IIRC didnt have before, at least not on the Huey nor the Ka-50.

I have both Rudder trimmer and Central position trimmer thicked.

It seems that each time I trim, it's not where my control was, they are always off.

It's quite hard to fly it steady when it's behaving like that

Am I the only one?

1st pic: My controls initially

2nd pic: My controls just before I push the Trim button

3rd pic: My control after I pushed the Trim button

:cry:

Screen_161202_143641.thumb.jpg.185177422fcc80adeb0553a1e5959229.jpg

Screen_161202_143654.thumb.jpg.5195d9fa0562b3a7fb47fda3e4e88b0a.jpg

Screen_161202_143701.thumb.jpg.d62ae098225107a800e93a8709c4a011.jpg

Edited by genbrien
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

I have the same feeling. The AFCS is not working as before, or maybe is my ignorance about how this AFCS works now but the trim isn´t working as it should.

When a press the trimmer the diamond dont stay where i left it and also with Pitch Roll lamp ON in straight flight the Mi-8 is pitching up and down all the time.

Only when the AFCS is OFF in the three channels the Mi-8 is contolable but no trimable.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I just tested the Ka-50 and it's not doing it. On the Ka-50 it's working as it should.

EDIT: tested the Huey and working like the Ka-50, as it should

Edited by genbrien

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmmm... trims just fine here overall, although I fly with the pitch/roll stab channel ON only (i.e. heading and altitude are OFF) and I never use the autopilot assistance option. And yeah, I'm using the default trimmer mode too.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Guys please try Trimmer mode: Default

I think central position trimmer mode is for non spring sticks..

Found it

You have to disable ''Control Helper'' but enable ''Central position trimming'' :thumbup:

I guess ''control helper'' could be explain clearer but everything works as it should

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
After today's update I flew the Mi-8 again (after a long pause) but I seem to have a problem with the Trim in general that IIRC didnt have before, at least not on the Huey nor the Ka-50.

I have both Rudder trimmer and Central position trimmer thicked.

It seems that each time I trim, it's not where my control was, they are always off.

It's quite hard to fly it steady when it's behaving like that

Am I the only one?

1st pic: My controls initially

2nd pic: My controls just before I push the Trim button

3rd pic: My control after I pushed the Trim button

:cry:

we expect from you screenshots of your controls settings and tracks. It will help us

Sorry my fault.

I´ve checked the Control Helper box.

Unchecked and the Mi-8 flights delicious ¡¡¡¡

Thanks.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• 2 weeks later...