DCS Cross the Pond - Community Event

104th_Maverick

If Signup is still open, I'd like to join in:

Galahad

P-51D (w/ Wing Tanks and Full Fuel) or F-86 (w Wing Tanks)

United States (EST)

2-4 hours

I'm just wondering: I'm about to be getting to contacting the tower in my IRL training, would it be all right to use this as an opportunity to do some pattern work and practice approaches at the end of my first lap, just to get some more time interacting with the tower?

Edit: Also would it be OK to do half laps with a cut north/south around Crimea? I'm just checking the charts and my range will not permit me a full lap with the Mustang or the Sabre.

Edited by P5138

Most examples refer to Kutaisi, but in DCS_GND_Charts.pdf that comes with DCS (in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\ by default), I can't for the life of me find any taxiways labeled "F" or "Foxtrot" for Kutaisi-Kopitnari.

(Some examples refer to Krasnodar instead, where there is a taxiway Foxtrot. :confused:)

And one more question: Does APU start require start up clearance? If so, are pilots required to connect ground power if their radios won't work on batteries alone?

Hello sir,

The document was originally written for Krasnodar hence the confusion with Taxiway Foxtrot, we changed the host airfield at the last minute to Kutaisi for ILS and flight planning reasons!

So far we have been unable to locate a ground chart for Kutaisi so we plan to make our own chart and release that in the coming days, there are not many taxiways at Kutaisi so this should be a fairly straight forward process.

For this event sir, yes. All engine start ups must be cleared by ATC which will be provided on Teamspeak by us.

It should be a great event, I am looking forward to getting lots of people like yourself started in using ATC in a friendly environment, this is not VATSIM subsequently there are no consequences for making mistakes :)

If Signup is still open, I'd like to join in:

Edit: Also would it be OK to do half laps with a cut north/south around Crimea? I'm just checking the charts and my range will not permit me a full lap with the Mustang or the Sabre.

Your flight plan is fine, we plan to give clients a flight plan to follow if they choose to do so but also allow a "go anywhere you want" option :)

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

So I have a small question:

Upgas alt is FL100 and FL140 for fast jets only. Now is the A-10C a fast jet? I guessing not but I'm asking since I tried the departure on single player and had no problem climbin FL140 to Upas with full load (although a little slow...).

So in short my question is: A-10 at Upgas, FL100 or FL140?

Thanks

P.S.

It really sucks that Matt's stream is running at the same time.

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

FL100 for the A-10's sir!

This is to enable the fast jets to pass above you at FL140 inbound UPGAS as they will be around 400kts at that point :)

ATC will separate traffic but it should give you something nice to look at having the faster traffic pass overhead :)

Yeah it's not great that the stream is on at the same time, although it gives you a chance to watch it in the cruise! We planned this event before Matts streams started in future we won't do it on a Sunday if the streams continue!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great update! This is exactly what I need now. I hope it is possible to request diverts, touch and go's, overhead break etc.?

EDIT: Oh, and may we request TAW flights is assigned call-sign "taw ##"

Edited by HiJack

I'm really excited to be involved in this its going to be a fun event (want to emphasise fun!), Ive got a lot of experience on VATSIM both being a pilot and ATC so if anyone needs any help or pointers just let me know and i'll be more than happy to help.

Simon

Thank you very much Maverick!:thumbup:

Don't have much experience with ATC but would sure like to learn and improve.

Just a suggestion, maybe put all the info and files on the first post\page, so people won't look for them through the tread.

Edited by Body Farm

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Will training bombs or any ordnance be allowed? TGP's, jammer etc.? I am asking this because I don't really like to fly with external tanks or traveling pods (A10C) but I will have a hard time getting on the tanker without any drag... *cough*

Speedbrakes will do, but they look silly and are wobbly. :p Edit: Will tankers be on racetrack or orbit?

II.

☺Uzi 11, turn right direct Waypoint 3.

✈Turning left direct Waypoint 3. Uzi 11

Also is this maybe a typo, am I misunderstanding something, or is this to highlight that I have to always double check ATC info as to not follow wrong instructions? More noob questions to come. :)

Edited by ApoNOOB

This is still happening right? When will we have flight plans, etc?

Yes

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2437601&postcount=48

Will training bombs or any ordnance be allowed? TGP's, jammer etc.?

Will tankers be on racetrack or orbit?

Also is this maybe a typo

No weapons will be permitted (live or not) however TGP and Jammer will be fine.

Tankers will be in a racetrack orbit.

It is a typo, I'll fix it tonight, cheers! :)

Just a suggestion, maybe put all the info and files on the first post

Done ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

;2437753']The document was originally written for Krasnodar hence the confusion with Taxiway Foxtrot' date=' we changed the host airfield at the last minute to Kutaisi for ILS and flight planning reasons![/quote']

Phew, good to know I'm not too stupid to read the charts after all. ;)

;2437753']For this event sir' date=' yes. All engine start ups must be cleared by ATC which will be provided on Teamspeak by us.[/quote']

Clear all engine start ups with ATC, Wilco, Yurgon. :D

;2437753']It should be a great event' date=' I am looking forward to getting lots of people like yourself started in using ATC in a friendly environment, this is not [b']VATSIM[/b] subsequently there are no consequences for making mistakes :)

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it very much! :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, what would be (typical) consequences for making mistakes on VATSIM?

Phew, good to know I'm not too stupid to read the charts after all. ;)

Clear all engine start ups with ATC, Wilco, Yurgon. :D

Sounds great and I'm looking forward to it very much! :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, what would be (typical) consequences for making mistakes on VATSIM?

Depends on the controller, most are happy to help some are not. I've corrected controllers before on airspace issues and classifications and very often they enjoy learning about it but others out there can't be wrong and those are the ones to watch out for.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

To be honest apart from looking stupid there isn't much else that happens, although you can be reported to a Server Admin who can remove you from the network if you do not know what your doing to the level where you are disruptive!

To a certain extend, it also depends on 'where' you are flying. You will find controllers who look after very busy London Airspace may have less patience than say Manchester Tower!

Generally speaking, for most people, flying on VATSIM can be pretty intimidating at first but once they get over the initial awkwardness it becomes very enjoyable indeed!

Especially when it is busy and the airwaves are full of people who know what they are doing, it makes the whole experience very immersive and its easy to forget you are sitting at your computer :)

Having ATC you can talk to adds a whole new element to your flying, I'm really looking forward for you guys to get started, we already have big plans for the next event to make it even better than this one :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

odQAgss.jpg

Kutaisi Ground Chart

Here is the Ground Chart we will be using for the event. It is completely fictional to make the process nice and easy.

For anyone not familiar with ground charts its very simple. All taxiways have a name, when the Ground Controller tells you to taxi to the active runway he will ask you to follow a certain route.

For example lets say you spawn on the apron below the A for Taxiway Alpha, this would be how you would get to the active runway which is 08.

Uzi 11: Kutaisi Ground, Uzi 11, ready to taxi

_Ground: Uzi 11, taxi runway 08, right on Alpha, left on Delta, hold Delta1

Uzi 11: Right on Alpha, left Delta, hold Delta1 for runway 08, Uzi 11

So in this case we spawned bellow the letter A, so we taxied forward and turn right onto Alpha and taxied down towards taxiway Delta. The point on the map marked Alpha1 in Red is a holding point. Sometimes Controllers will ask you to hold at one of these points before reaching the runway, normally for other traffic to pass.

Once we reach taxiway Delta we turn Left and taxi forward to the point on the map marked Delta1 until we are cleared to enter the runway.

You never enter the runway unless you are cleared by ATC!

In future events we will start using more realistic charts but this should be a nice introduction for now.

Any questions please let me know!

The Flight Plans will be released tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get them finished, sorry for the delay on these, in future I will make sure I get them out much earlier. Lots of lessons were learnt in the planning of this first event :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sounds great, i think i might try and get in on this. Might give me a easier entry into multi-player. will try and get everything setup tonight and see if i can be there tomorrow with:

Draco

A-10C

US

2-4 hours

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions in order to prepare for this evening:

1) Will the server be password protected? If so, how do we get the password?

2) When will callsigns be assigned to the aircraft? Beforehand or on the fly in the server?

3) Is the TS server the regular 104th?

4) Do we manually need to switch channel in TS when contacting the next ATC station or will the ATC folks handle that for you?

5) Can we make unusual requests like for instance requesting an engine run test at the south ramp =)?

Thanks for making this possible! Really looking forward to the event!

1) Yes, you get the password on our teamspeak server

2) At the briefing before the event

3) Yes

4) We have a system to use Teamspeak to communicate, this will be explained in detail shortly... the F1 race is causing some delays to the schedule :D

5) Sure!

Event due to start at 17:00z and run until 22:00z. It is fine for players to join after the event start time, you do not have to be present at 17:00z, a short brief will be available to all who join after the start.

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]