Need help on general aviation

Neon67

Hi Guys

I am currently preparing some sort of business cases for my studies and I need some help about a lot of things I am not aware about aviation in general.

Please specify If you are speaking about an airliner or leisure aviation, IFR or VFR

So my questions are so far

Assuming I develop a new kind of portable device for airplane, like an advanced GPS. What kind of certifications are needed to be allowed in a plane? FAA or ICAA and such ? How much cost the approbation ?

In leisure aviation, and also for airline, Flying by IFR or VFR, if you are travelling between two airports, and then suddenly to divert to the nearest one, how do you know where to go, com radio frequency , runway heading and so on ?

Is there a way to get the data from an airplane into an external device like smartphone, tablet or such. For instance I would need info from the ADI, HSI and speed indicator, do the airplane manufacturer provide some sort of usb port ?

You want to travel between two different points around the world, who validate the flight plan ? is there some fees ?

Thanks a lot :smartass:

Edited by Neon67

Hello, Neon!

In leisure aviation, and also for airline, Flying by IFR or VFR, if you are travelling between two airports, and then suddenly to divert to the nearest one, how do you know where to go, com radio frequency , runway heading and so on ?

Starting from the most simple things, on a VFR flight there is usually enough of this basic information on charts you would be using. Usually, you will find primary COMs, runway headings and lengths, elevation. Then, there is almost always some ATC service available, which can help. Speaking about how do you know where to go is a bit more complicated, because you must be capable of doing some navigation tasks on the fly. On this matter, I can recommend you to check out the book "Fly Better" by Noel Kruse or can you please ask a more precise question on the tasks you're interested in? Of course, nowadays you always have some fancy piece of electronic equipment with you, so the task is very simple.

Is there a way to get the data from an airplane into an external device like smartphone, tablet or such. For instance I would need info from the ADI, HSI and speed indicator, do the airplane manufacturer provide some sort of usb port ?

Well, I haven't ever seen any. If you have steam gauges, then there can be some kind of a port to take signals out to the autopilot, for instance, but they can hardly be used to connect a smartphone, if at all. On G1000 there are some ports, but they are not USB. Also, they are not available for a pilot to connect.

...And I forgot to tell you about IFR. On an IFR flight it is even simpler, because you almost always have some ATC service along and, again, a chart. On a modern airliner there is always some kind of a CDU device, where all the required info on the nearest airports is within two button-clicks. It will also estimate the route for you.

Try making a search for "Electronic Flight Bag" and pilots' feedback on it. You will probably get a clue on what they lack in their devices.

Hi thanks for those answers

So for a flight, before taking off, you take all the paper charts with you in the airplane? And in the case you need to divert to the nearest airport and you don't have the charts and info for, you contact any ATC or guard frequency to get in contact with the ATC you are looking for, who will provide all the information and guide you ?

For an airliner, the FMS probably play this role, like the divert option in the A10 I suppose, but for a small light aircraft like a small cessna, you don't have all the fancy computer, or am I wrong ?

What about the certification for a new hardware?

What is the average budget for a leisure pilot per year ? Plane, fuel cost maintenance etc ?

So for a flight, before taking off, you take all the paper charts with you in the airplane?

Yes, this is correct.

And in the case you need to divert to the nearest airport and you don't have the charts and info for,

I can hardly imagine such a situation. Usually, the charts cover your route within a certain area, where airports are in abundance. It is a good practice to plan your route so it lies above airports. If you plan for a flight above a sparsely populated area, then you have less options and you will usually precalculate your diversion routes as they are not plenty. You will also get all the required info in beforehand. This is not very common situation, when you have to land at this very airport right now, there is a huge portion of work done on the ground before flight, so the situation like this does not arise.

you contact any ATC or guard frequency to get in contact with the ATC you are looking for, who will provide all the information and guide you ?

Well, generally, yes. You can just contact the closest frequency or the one you're using or 121.5, explain your situation and ask for vectors to the nearest airport.

for a small light aircraft like a small cessna, you don't have all the fancy computer, or am I wrong ?

A small Cessna today usually has a fancy GPS :) All GPSs I know have a feature called "Nearest". You just punch a button and you get the list of the nearest airports sorted by distance to them together with bearings to fly. Two more button clicks, you select one from the list and here is an info list with frequencies and runways (and sometimes even fuel availability). If you're happy with what you're seeing then you just press the D-TO ("Direct To") button and bingo: you just steer to the magenta line. If you go really old-fashioned, then, again, you either preflight or don't fly at all: you calculate your route and study the charts, you plan your alternates and look for the info, so that you have an easy access to it in flight. You can take the whole AFD book (Airport/Facility Directory) with you, but it is not very practical as it covers the whole country, so it is easier to make copies of the required pages or just write out the info by hand. That is how I used to do it.

What about the certification for a new hardware?

I am sorry, but I am unable to advise on this one. I think there are people more competent on the matter. Try asking the PPRune community about this - there are lots of people who can tell you.

What is the average budget for a leisure pilot per year ? Plane, fuel cost maintenance etc ?

This depends on a lot of things, such as what kind of aircraft do you fly, how often and how far do you fly, do you rent or own an aircraft, etc. It can be as cheap as 125 euro/hour if you rent a small DV-20 or as costly as 800 euro/hour if you want a sophisticated twin-piston.

Edited by ilya1502
  • Like 1

when you say certify new hardware you have to be a bit more specific. Do you mean VFR or IFR? on what type of platform? Standard Type Certificate or EAB ? for what type of operation? Far 91 or 121 etc. Permanent or handheld?

Its a really messy system and unless you got loads of cash you can forget about any market outside of EAB aircraft

There are a ton of systems out there they are very reasonable for example... https://www.iflygps.com/

https://www.foreflight.com/

my plane will have a full glass cockpit with this efis.... http://www.thenewskyview.com/

here is a bit to get the process started...

AC_20-138D Guidance for the airworthiness approval of installed positioning and nav equipment. Read this first

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_20-138D_Change_1.pdf

the TSO system

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/design_approvals/tso/tso_regs/

The regs around all certfification. Equipment is buried around section K if i recall

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=14%3A1.0.1.3.9

TSO-C129a GPS

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgTSO.nsf/0/e560cd9c6acf8ba186256dc700717e0f/$FILE/C129a.pdf

Edited by whartsell

Thanks for the answer

Well my project of new hardware was to use the new microsoft enhanced reality , with your smartphone and glasses as a sort of JHCMS , showing you the direction to go, restricted zone, with some features like the divert function of the GPS... Some sort of cheap but nice enhancement of your situation awareness, specially when flying in IFR , night or bad weather. Preety much like forflight + enhanced reality

Edited by Neon67

ok some other questions so far

If you want to Fly either IFR or VFR, you have to give the flight plan in advance to who ? is there some fees? how long does it take to be accepted ?

When flying, are you able to use data roaming with your smartphone ? I know some airliners have an option to open a wifi connection , but I don't think all aircrafts have a way of sharing their antenas, are they ?

IF you had any features wishes for an enhanced reality glasses acting more or less as a JHCMS , what would it be ?

If you want to Fly either IFR or VFR, you have to give the flight plan in advance to who ? is there some fees? how long does it take to be accepted ?

Presently, there are lots of facilities. The central one is a central flight planning office (or something like that), but you hardly refer to them directly, if ever. There are facilities called Flight Service Stations and Briefing offices which you can call on the published phone number and submit your flight plan. Nowadays this can also be done via internet. Regarding the time, it is usually instantly.

Here are a few examples. The info page and the flight planning form. But don't file it, please, unless you're going to fly :) If you have a briefing facility at your airport, you can come there and file a hard copy, but it is seldom used nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one source for purchasing (for the US).

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/charts

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Check out http://skyvector.com/ is you're looking for charts and flight planning. Completely free. Somebody already mentioned ForeFlight... I am not a pilot I just play one on the computer... :) That said I'm an aviation nut. A LOT of real world pilots use ForeFlight on their iPads now. It will even show you a moving plane overlayed onto approach charts, airport diagrams, etc. All in real time. There is a ton of stuff in the modern day plane to tell you where you are and where you are going...

Since you mentioned this is a school project... I could see where it might be possible to incorporate some of that stuff into a Google glass type thing. Kind of a head up display that you can take with you in any plane and not have to fumble with your tablet. You might also look at something that would display a virtual air space around the plane. I'm sure lots of GA guys would love to know how close they are to a Class Bravo without having to guess with landmarks if they didn't have a Garmin in the plane...

One last thing. Take a look at PilotEdge. It's a virtual ATC company, but a large amount of the guys on their forums are RW pilots and very friendly. You might what to ask your questions on there too.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Sage

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Check out http://skyvector.com/ is you're looking for charts and flight planning. Completely free. Somebody already mentioned ForeFlight... I am not a pilot I just play one on the computer... :) That said I'm an aviation nut. A LOT of real world pilots use ForeFlight on their iPads now. It will even show you a moving plane overlayed onto approach charts, airport diagrams, etc. All in real time. There is a ton of stuff in the modern day plane to tell you where you are and where you are going...

Since you mentioned this is a school project... I could see where it might be possible to incorporate some of that stuff into a Google glass type thing. Kind of a head up display that you can take with you in any plane and not have to fumble with your tablet. You might also look at something that would display a virtual air space around the plane. I'm sure lots of GA guys would love to know how close they are to a Class Bravo without having to guess with landmarks if they didn't have a Garmin in the plane...

One last thing. Take a look at PilotEdge. It's a virtual ATC company, but a large amount of the guys on their forums are RW pilots and very friendly. You might what to ask your questions on there too.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Sage

Yes this is more or less what I am going for, if you look closely at foreflight you get a syntetic view, imagine this put into a Hololens.

Here is my introduction video

About the Charts foreflight resell them, but how did they get it in the first place ? You have to contact all airport ? or is there a FAA website giving it for free ?