DCS: F-5E!

Python

If a fully clickable F-15C and the F5 were both available and you had the cash for one...which would you buy?

F-5E, it's not a difficult choice either. The F-5E is at the very top of my western fixed wing wishlist for DCS (because it pairs perfectly with the MiG-21bis, which I love flying but currently lacks a suitable human opponent). A clickpit F-15C isn't on my wishlist at all. I already have the FC3 F-15C and fly it for maybe 20 minutes every 3-4 months. It's a terribly boring aircraft imho. I think the Hornet will be the main provider of my western fixed wing 4th gen fighter fun when it comes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Hornet will be the main provider of my western fixed wing 4th gen fighter fun when it comes.

+1 :thumbup: The F-15C in DCS has been with us for a very long time. It has been (until the advent of the Mirage 2000C) the only western fighter availble to us in this sim. Many of us have been flying it for years, and years, and years. Time to retire it and get something new and shiny. DCS Hornet will be the game changers when it comes out.

F-5E, it's not a difficult choice either. The F-5E is at the very top of my western fixed wing wishlist for DCS (because it pairs perfectly with the MiG-21bis, which I love flying but currently lacks a suitable human opponent). A clickpit F-15C isn't on my wishlist at all. I already have the FC3 F-15C and fly it for maybe 20 minutes every 3-4 months. It's a terribly boring aircraft imho. I think the Hornet will be the main provider of my western fixed wing 4th gen fighter fun when it comes.

+1

What we need now is a suitable counterpart for the F-18... Sometbhing like a MiG-29M or something with a similar role...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

²

[sIGPIC][url=http://www.blacksharkden.com][/url][/sIGPIC]

http://www.blacksharkden.com

"Come join us" - Bad Religion

I would say the perfect match for the Mig-21 would be another primitive rocket, the F-104 Starfighter :music_whistling: Still, I am very excited about the F-5E. Those cannons coupled with the sight and radar... Guns! Guns! Guns!

errr naw. those short stubby wings with a turnrate the size of texas no thanks.

F104 was already retired out of USAF active duty service by 1967 anyhow, and weve got a mig21 BIS model that didnt arrive until 1972.

if anything F4 phantom. I mean its not a direct counterpart to the Mig21, but its one natural historical opponents

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

True! hahahahahah

:lol::lol::lol:

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F104 was already retired out of USAF active duty service by 1967 anyhow, and weve got a mig21 BIS model that didnt arrive until 1972.

if anything F4 phantom. I mean its not a direct counterpart to the Mig21, but its one natural historical opponents

Pfft. F-104 is an icon. What's not to love about a rocket sled? Who needs to turn anyway.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by Low Blow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

Great to see another airframe joining the skies. Yes, loads of people want 4th gen fighters, but as we know, it's difficult to get data for a dcs level simulation.

I'm not so interested in the F-5. I'd prefer more Russian equipment. But I'll take look at some point for sure.

Edited by Slazi

Many European airforces employed the 104G well into the mid-80s, so the 104 is definitly in the same park with the MiG-21bis.

Pfft. F-104 is an icon.

This!

But we're getting OT here...

Edited by Pilot Ike

I think the F-5E will make a great addition to DCS! It will be simple enough to fly and understand. A clickable F-15 or F-18, while in theory sounds great. Is simply to much to handle for most users and casual flyers. I think it's great to have both advanced fighters and oldschool jets, where more time is spent on flying than fiddling with systems. There is room for both.

The f-18 won't have an interactive cockpit?

What I meant by my earlier post is that the systems of an F-18 will be a lot to handle for most players. At least in-depth. With all the modules coming out, It will be more than a handful to learn and remember the systems of F-18, Harrier and F-14 (besides trying to land on a friggin' carrier, hehe) That is why I also welcome "simpler" cold-war jets such as the F-5E or Mig-21.

What I meant by my earlier post is that the systems of an F-18 will be a lot to handle for most players. At least in-depth. With all the modules coming out, It will be more than a handful to learn and remember the systems of F-18, Harrier and F-14 (besides trying to land on a friggin' carrier, hehe) That is why I also welcome "simpler" cold-war jets such as the F-5E or Mig-21.

if you can grasp a10c avonics, youl be able to learn the F-18C.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

if you can grasp a10c avonics, youl be able to learn the F-18C.

The first her that got me into DCS was A10C. I flew it a lot. And didn't touch it for 6 months or more. Yesterday I hopped into it in Blue Flag and I felt like home. I could start it up and all the warthog shortcuts were natural.

I think any average player can master the systems of more than one complex aircraft.

I'm not so interested in the F-5. I'd prefer more Russian equipment. But I'll take look at some point for sure.

I'm a huge fan of the Russian design philosophy when it comes to aircraft (and personally would love to see DCS:Su-25SM hit the store).

That's one reason I'm really interested in the F-5E (apart from the fact that my country used, and manufactured a variant of them): it's a mid-20th century Western fighter that embraces a Russian design philosophy. So far as I know, the only one that does so.

It's probably why it never caught on in the US Military (neither better, nor worse, just a really different "oddball" approach from the perspective of the rest of the armed forces - sort of the same way that some people hate the A-10).

If you like the Russian aircraft, it may be a better fit than you think :)

I'm a huge fan of the Russian design philosophy when it comes to aircraft (and personally would love to see DCS:Su-25SM hit the store).

That's one reason I'm really interested in the F-5E (apart from the fact that my country used, and manufactured a variant of them): it's a mid-20th century Western fighter that embraces a Russian design philosophy. So far as I know, the only one that does so.

It's probably why it never caught on in the US Military (neither better, nor worse, just a really different "oddball" approach from the perspective of the rest of the armed forces - sort of the same way that some people hate the A-10).

If you like the Russian aircraft, it may be a better fit than you think :)

In what is it close to a Russian design? I don't see that in the airframe or cockpit ...

IMHO that F18 is a long way off.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

IMHO that F18 is a long way off.

Still expected before the end of the year until ED says otherwise. If 7 months is considered to be a long way off then I guess it is.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Still expected before the end of the year until ED says otherwise. If 7 months is considered to be a long way off then I guess it is.

when did a module come on time?? :) not even they are announced "coming next month" imagine "coming this year"

when did a module come on time?? :) not even they are announced "coming next month" imagine "coming this year"

Didn't realise it was that long

Anyways looks like I'll be preordering and flying this sweet baby all day long. I hope there are some canadian air force liveries ( I know they didn't use the f-5e tiger ii but it was close)

I was inverted B)