Questions for next DCS Stream

• ED Team

Dear all,

as already stated by Matt in the latest official update, we would like to collect your questions which you would like to have answered before we start the streams.

Please post your questions in this thread, we will then pick up to 10 which we will answer before the stream starts.

Be fair and post just one question and check if your question haven´t been answered alrready.

Thanks and have fun!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us artists that do liveries [and models...]

1] will they work without any modification or do we need to edit them?

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Wags mentioned "Red Flag" campaign during the last stream. Can you expand what it will be like? For instance the air-to-air combat, will it be "simulated" in simulator, or are we going to shoot live ammo at "aggressors"?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

My question would be if you have any concrete plans to add new rain/icing/condensation effects to the canopies with DCSW2 ?

Basically, this also relates to the question about the weather engine posted earlier:

Q: Yesterday, you talked about a new weather engine (IIRC). What can this new weather engine exactly?

IIRC The MiG-21 and the C-101 have it listed in the product description as a feature so far.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

This is 6am monday mornings for me! Oh well, totally worth it.

Q: Can Matt give us some back ground into ED - the structure of the teams around the world. Is there a team dedicated to each part of DCS etc. Perhaps a history of how this has changed over time. Nothing too indepth but it might help newer pilots understand DCS World development.

Q: Is there anything he can share regarding the plans for a dedicated server build. Once we have that the online community will go nuts!

Q: How does helmet mounted night vision and the target pods etc look in EDGE? Im particularly interested if BHOT and WHOT views look the same.

Q: As a mission maker how many AI do you generally add to a mission for balanced gameplay? 20-30 units?

Q: Can we see Las Vegas at night? What lighting technology is used to display so many lights efficiently?

Q: Can we get a combined arms view of the map and a look at infantry?

Q: What changes are coming for ATC? Is it the same system just in a new map or is it being overhauled?

Q: If ATC is a blocking bug is there any chance you'll ship an alpha with that code disabled?

THANKS!

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thank you for the stream, Matt! DCS2 and NTTR looks really good!

Q1: Is it possible to record your screen directly, instead of recording the streamed video to avoid double compression and other issues?

Q2: I`m really curious about progress with weather and clouds and also want to see a different time of the day, different light conditions. (noon and morning with clear sky looks pretty close to reality!)

Q3: How mirrors are affecting FPS (they were off in the last stream)?

Q4: No terrain reflections on the water surfaces?

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

Q: Given the large number of dry lake beds in the area, that in real life can be used as alternate emergency landing strips, will some areas of the map be safe to land on, or will the new NTTR map have the same ground characteristics as the current DCS map (i.e. jets cannot move once they're on the grass)

Q: Any intention to include the Luxor's incredibly bright light? At night, you can see it shining high into the air. Would be a neat reference point to use during night time missions.

1b3e2c25c4a94a7d855d1537df82ebed.jpg

16741-las-vegas-strip-1920x1080-world-wallpaper.jpg

At 42.3 billion candela, the Luxor Sky Beam is the strongest beam of light in the world. Using computer designed, curved mirrors to collect the light from 39 xenon lamps and focus them into one intense, narrow beam, engineers claimed that newspaper can be read from a distance as far as 10 miles. This however, was later revealed to be a false claim. The light beam, however, was still unarguably bright. On a clear night, the Sky Beam is visible up to 275 miles (443 km) away by aircraft at cruising altitude, such as over Los Angeles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_Las_Vegas#Luxor_Sky_Beam

Edited by Psyrixx

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

Q: Are there any HUD improvements planned ie.

- symbology "glow" at higher luminosity settings

- russian aircraft HUD " symbology misalignment" and symbology font and size adjustments

hqdefault.jpg

-tracked target box misalignment and refresh rate improvements?

along with quite a few of the questions already listed, the question I would like to field is about ditching on water - will this be possible?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

With the upcoming multicrew feature, will it be possible for one pilot to take over control of the aircraft from another or for a gunner to take over the position of an injured gunner?

Thanks!

Edited by JimTM

Hi Matt,

My question and how it pertains to the live DCS 2 NTTR weekly feed is as follows…

It appears that new test builds of DCS 2/NTTR are rolling out each week for Matt to demonstrate on Twitch. Will you specifically highlight the new features in your specific test builds as they become avail, ATC, weather, aircraft etc…? “This weeks changes are” or at least include in the briefing?

-Rick

• Like 1

the missiles

when will the missiles be fixed

(there IS a segment of the population that wants an AIR COMBAT SIMULATION)

pretty please - thank you

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi. Oh man, too many questions.

And plus mines:

Q1) In new map, buildings (or objects) can be damaged partially or when get hit, they are just glowing like current DCSW?

Q2) Will new AIs has awareness of shadow? For example, when under attack, will they just separate from each other and halt somewhere or will they try to hide in mountain's shadow?

Q3) Current map has some ground issues. For example, the aircrafts without gear are wobbling on the ground, or when push the throttle to taxi, some aircrafts don't want to move (like gears stuck on the ground for a sec). With new map these bugs are fixed?

Thank you.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

It appears a stronger focus is coming for naval operations with the SoH map and carrier models(modern & WWII era) in progress as it seems.

Q: Will carrier operations support crew activity on the deck for launch, recovery and heaven forbid crash and thermal events. ;) With skeleton animation I thought some of this would be possible.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Q1: Will there be more customisation in multiplayer mode for players (skins, ammo, fuel types, convergence)?

Q2: Will DCS 2.0 bring some improvment to Physics and Damage Modeling at one point?

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Q: Will there be some kind of DTC implemented so you can setup presets for your MFDs, weapon profiles and loadouts, countermeasures, etc., so you don't have to do it every time you spawn?

Q: Will there be some kind of mission planner implemented so you can set your own waypoints, no-fly-zones, threat circles, alternate landing strips, check weather radar and forecasts etc., for your flight in single and multiplayer?

Q: Is there any possibility for a "physical" interactable kneeboard in the cockpit with multiple pages (a la F4:AF or WDP for BMS) containing mission info, maps, notes, checklists, airport charts, etc.?

Q: Will there be pilot bodies for all aircrafts?

Q: Will there be taxi signs at airports so you don't have to guess your way to the runway?

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Q1: Sound API changes. Does this mean you move away from XAudio or will there be changes to the API on DCS engine - DCS aircraft module level? Any specifics?

Q2: Graphics. Is the sky and lighting model 'artistic' or 'scientific'? I think I saw a whitepaper on modeling the various visual atmosfpheric phenomenas affecting lighting and some of the included images resembled DCS 2.0 to a large degree.

Q: with similar settings and on the same map, are you getting noticeably better fps and smoother gameplay?

Does the game still stutter and dramatically drop fps when effects such as smoke or tracer appear?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

My question (I hope it wasn't already asked and I missed it):

Will great user created scripts like MIST and CTTS or CTLD be absorbed in main Mission Editor? And if so, will the interface be transformed a bit so much more users can create complex missions without having to deal with the actual texts? I mean... buttons... arrows... markers, etc :)

FreeTrack is already supported! I use it myself without a problem in DCS. You can discuss it here in a dedicated threads...

I think he meant as in working without the user needing to make mods to correct certain bugs like we have now in some modules you need to add or remove lines. Support means not allowing it to work but actively making sure it works without problems. So the question is valid, probably not so important but...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least