Revisiting the Dora

NineLine

+1

I took his advice too, and even if I had learnt to take off and land in the two planes, his advice made it much easier and more consistent.

Especially the big side slip to get the Bf-109 down has helped me.

But also using "only" ATA 1.2 has helped me getting a much more enjoyable and stable flight.

I mentioned that on these forums quite awhile back to people complaining about the torque roll or whatever you call it. Throttle back to 2300 rpm or so at the proper alt and speed to make it disappear. It was trimmed to a certain speed range and going full blast isn't going to make it a smooth ride. Plus you kill your flight range when you run at higher throttle.

I mentioned that on these forums quite awhile back to people complaining about the torque roll or whatever you call it. Throttle back to 2300 rpm or so at the proper alt and speed to make it disappear. It was trimmed to a certain speed range and going full blast isn't going to make it a smooth ride. Plus you kill your flight range when you run at higher throttle.

Exactly!

Cruise speed for me means an ATA setting of 0.9 - 1.1 and around 1800 - 2000 RPM for the 109K. I find I even need to ease off on the forward trim sometimes. Using a little left rudder to keep her on track and you can fly hands off literally for enough time to open another beer, stretch your arms and pat the dog. :thumbup:

The interview with Erich contained quite a lot of great information. I'm really looking forward to Part Two.

Back when these planes were in early Beta, there was a quick start guide for the take off. Man did a lot of people go crazy trying to get it off the ground that way. I actually thought I would shelf the Dora at first. Even people I knew on the servers were avoiding that plane. After a long time of trying, I got to where I could get it off the ground OK and had a 50% success at landing it.

After several months of not flying either plane, I saw that video and both are very very cool planes now. And yes...the slip idea is great. It'll slow you right down in a hurry. So far as I can actually feel, both planes kind of take off like the P-51 now. I have to lock the tail wheel of the Dora to take off but that's really the only difference other than using a ton of rudder when accelerating.

So thanks Sith for posting that vid and completely restoring my faith in those 2 planes. I feel like I just bought 2 great new modules. And I know I seem like a sap about it but I'm not a full timer on the sim like a lot of you realism nerds (< term of respect). Maybe someday I will, but till then........

Edited by Zimmerdylan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a brief feedback from Erich after watching the first part of the 'Revisiting Dora 9' trilogy: he absolutely loved it and is amazed how with this video people around the world have taken an interest in his knowledge and experience, which he is very happy to share. He thanks all those who have thanked or greeted him in the various comments sections on youtube or forums, and is sending his best regards.

He's now eagerly awaiting the coming parts.

MAC

Just a brief feedback from Erich after watching the first part of the 'Revisiting Dora 9' trilogy: he absolutely loved it and is amazed how with this video people around the world have taken an interest in his knowledge and experience, which he is very happy to share. He thanks all those who have thanked or greeted him in the various comments sections on youtube or forums, and is sending his best regards.

He's now eagerly awaiting the coming parts.

MAC

A trilogy? Great news, looking forward to it! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I watched this video through to end a few months ago learning the 190. Currently re-learning the 109 and this video was referenced in the 109 forum. I forgot I had seen this video before. I realized I had seen it watching it through this second time. I'm age 64 and my memory is starting to go. I'm getting so I only fly one sim aircraft to stay relatively sharp with her and stay several months with just the one aircraft. Then when I switch to another one previously flown I have to get reacquainted with that one.

You guys (DCS) must have gotten the modeling just about right. Erich discusses the differences of the flight and landing characteristics between the two planes, and me having flown both in the sim, I too, have noticed the differences as Erich has explained. I can takeoff, fly around and land the 109 fairly well, but dogfighting is a whole 'nother issue---I suck!

Thanks for the effort. Great stuff.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Have serious question, is not bitching about the flight model, it's only for interested how it works.

When the dora is near the stall speed in a inverted flight a loop as example, normally would think it's drop every moment over the heavy engine in a nosedive.

But it's feel the centre of gravity is behind the wing some where in the rear fuselage of the plane.

And the plane is start to spinning because the engine is still looking in the sky and out of airspeed.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 1 year later...
  • ED Team
  • Like 1

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Great!

Thanks for that. :) :thumbup:

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Wonderful interview. Thanks. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Excellent, thank you Yo-Yo :thumbup:

From the interview. I had never heard of those, let alone seen, the 'Vater und Sohn' things.

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/mistel.htm

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

I really wish that Erich Brunotte would be discussing more of his stick time with the DCS FW-190 and Bf-109. I really have high hopes for part two of the "Revisiting the Dora" clip.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com