Does the AI use different missiles?

1.JaVA_Platypus

Because I can't fire mine in a head-on engagement like they do! :mad:

Screen_150704_220342_zpsokdfnq10.jpg

Screen_150704_221012_zpsnbtm702l.jpg

I observed this behaviour from the AI MiG-21's in the (awesome) 'guardians of the caucasus' campaign. Wikipedia says the R-60M has a limited all-aspect capability. But I've never been able to replicate this. Is it possible to shoot at bandits who are coming towards you like this? how? You can't fire a missile if you haven't got a solid lock.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

R-60M is said to be at least somewhat all aspect, I don't have concrete evidence though.

However, when the plane was first released, I've seen AI do it even with R-3S, which certainly is rear aspect only.

Also, R-60M on ED's Su-25, Su-25T and various MiG-29 versions, flown by player, does lock targets from front aspect, even though only up close. In a player flown MiG-21Bis, it just doesn't want to pick up a target from almost anywhere :)

So, for the very same weapon, we have at least 3 distinct behaviours in sim, MiG-21 AI, MiG-21 Player, and ED :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

R-60M is said to be at least somewhat all aspect, I don't have concrete evidence though.

I do though, or at least did. I had a comparison chart from a Russian manual for various missiles, plotting aspect vs max employment range. Generally speaking pure head on employment was not possible according to the diagram. You need the bandit to be turned about 15 deg to one direction or the other. Some of the aspect is restricted more due to rmin. I think the chart represented the 60A though, not the 60M which should have a better seeker. I wish I could find it again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 years later...

r-60m is limited all-aspect, i have consistent success with r-60m headon shots even against non-afterburning f-5s online, albeit at near rmin.

blah blah blah

i see a lot of mad but not a lot of information that is actually useful for addressing your "issue"

for example if youre a burner jouster youre setting yourself up to get whacked first but some people dont seem to be aware that its something they can fix for themselves

Edited by probad