Does DCS play well with Windows 10?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been using it for the past two days as the final consumer version and

DCS seems to run very well now. I dont know if my 4 gig video cards

with DX12 are now running at 8 gigs being as DCSW is DX10, but

the dashboard sure seems more clear and Im liking it !!!

They are 4GB still, Pooled memory resources in MGPU configurations is part of DX12, and isnt "released" to public SDK yet.

DCS is DX9.0c

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I've had zero problems running DCS World on Windows 10 Pro. I did an upgrade of Win 8.1 Pro Media Center, not a clean install. However, be advised, the Win 10 migration ate several of my MiG-21 activations. I've reported it to Leatherneck, so we'll see if that gets fixed. No other aircraft modules had any issues that I can tell for now. MS Edge is a little funky, but overall, I'd say Microsoft did a great job with this upgrade process. Relatively painless. I've done seven Win 10 installs without a major problem including on a 2006 era Dell laptop. My advice: jump in, the Windows 10 water is just fine - no sharks sighted yet! ;)

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

good to know users are having a good experience with Win10 and DCS, I am still in a queue waiting for my sim machine to notify me for the update.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just download the ISO, and go.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I notice an increment of 8-10 fps on full hd and all graphic options set to max.

(4770 stock freq, 770 dcuII, ssd evo 840, 64gb ram)

A 4770 only has a dual memory controller and would only have 4 dimm slots. So unless you are running 4x 16GB ECC UDIMMS which are fairly rare.

They are 4GB still, Pooled memory resources in MGPU configurations is part of DX12, and isnt "released" to public SDK yet.

DCS is DX9.0c

Part of it is sorta of true. It has to be written into the game specifically by the dev in order to use it or it can still use AFR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used a direct download instead of using the force method:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• ED Team

Cheers sith, updating now

edit

all updated no issues.

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Do you have to reinstall Dcs when you update to win 10?

No Dav, should be fine

Updated my laptop last Thursday from Windows 8.1 to 10, no issues. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft and did a clean install last night but it didn't recognise my Windows 7 key so went online to Microsoft's tech support and they gave me a brand new key, no questions asked. The funny thing was the CSR wanted to remote access my PC to help and sent me a link to do this but it wouldn't work in IE 11 or their new Edge browser so the Microsoft tech asked if I could install Firefox or Chrome and use them instead lol

For me it wasn't working after updating from Win8.1 to Win10. Black screen with busy mouse cursor and music playing in the background instead of the menu screen. Reinstalling DX9 and the VC++ libs, running repair and deleteting the user settings didn't help at all.

As I don't play DCS 1.2 anymore I'll just do clean install when 1.5 is released and take it from there.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

i don't like Win10 for simple reason, its a real NSA tool, what microsoft did with this "free" windows for all is bring you a big 'ol snoop program right to your nose.. from cameras, microphones, web site history, pictures, videos, passwords, it will now EVERYTHING.. and somehow we should trust it cuz ..you know..logic?!..

i'm just afraid they going to shut down Win7 support if not many ppl switch to "free" win10.. and simply force them to switch..

Giving the whole world access to a free upgrade does make one wonder, after all it is 2015...and its from micro$oft.

Just saying.

Did your copy come with a free tinfoil hat? :)

Upgraded yesterday. The OS and DCS run beautifully.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Changed one of my systems to Win10, works fine so far but had some driver issues with TrackIR5 and the migration of Outlook 2003 to mail was a horror. Same company but no compliant export formats :mad:.

Spent 140€ today to get a copy of Win10 Pro for my main system for an upgrade after DCSW 1.5.

As some other members I have a bad feeling burning my last Win7 key during a "free" upgrade.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i'm just afraid they going to shut down Win7 support if not many ppl switch to "free" win10.. and simply force them to switch..

As long as Win 8 is still supported, what's forcing anyone to 10.

Besides, mainstream support for Win 7 ended at the beginning of this year.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Changed one of my systems to Win10, works fine so far but had some driver issues with TrackIR5 and the migration of Outlook 2003 to mail was a horror. Same company but no compliant export formats :mad:.

Spent 140€ today to get a copy of Win10 Pro for my main system for an upgrade after DCSW 1.5.

As some other members I have a bad feeling burning my last Win7 key during a "free" upgrade.

You aren't "burning" it. You still have the choice to undo the upgrade and go back to your Win7 Install if you don't like it...

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

You aren't "burning" it. You still have the choice to undo the upgrade and go back to your Win7 Install if you don't like it...

Within one month of upgrading.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

MS is scamming us.

Within one month of upgrading.

Yes, IF you revert to your previous operating system before the 30 days from installation of Win10. You get to use your "key" for that install once. After that, if you don't purchase Win10 via the market, you will be without either OS. Also, in the fine print there seems to be a situation that if you make a hardware change to your computer that requires a reinstallation of the OS, you will NOT be able to reuse the previous OS "key" for either the free Win10. or your previous OS. It is also suggested that Microsoft will at some near point delete all the keys for previous OS's from their inventory, thereby forcing people into purchasing Win10.

I know this all sounds like some conspiracy theory, but all that I just posted came from a reputable website that has been around as long as flight sims. When they talk, most pay attention. I would link to the article but then I would possibly be violating the rules here on ED Forums.

Edited by Chief1942
added info

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Yes, 1 month. After that it is burned. I like Win10 so far but I see some issues which could be the reason for future headache. I'ts simply a good feeling to have a Win7 key in reserve...I

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]