Does DCS play well with Windows 10?

Yes, IF you revert to your previous operating system before the 30 days from installation of Win10. You get to use your "key" for that install once. After that, if you don't purchase Win10 via the market, you will be without either OS. Also, in the fine print there seems to be a situation that if you make a hardware change to your computer that requires a reinstallation of the OS, you will NOT be able to reuse the previous OS "key" for either the free Win10. or your previous OS. It is also suggested that Microsoft will at some near point delete all the keys for previous OS's from their inventory, thereby forcing people into purchasing Win10.

I know this all sounds like some conspiracy theory, but all that I just posted came from a reputable website that has been around as long as flight sims. When they talk, most pay attention. I would link to the article but then I would possibly be violating the rules here on ED Forums.

It's a matter of policy and the region where you live. In the EU it is forbidden to link a OS to a specific hardware. All versions including OEM's will be usable after a hardware change by a phone call to the MS Support.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a matter of policy and the region where you live. In the EU it is forbidden to link a OS to a specific hardware. All versions including OEM's will be usable after a hardware change by a phone call to the MS Support.

Indeed and not just for OS, it's not legal to tie software to hardware generally. Here in the UK I've never even had to speak to someone to reactivate my OEM keys on new hardware, they just have an automated phone system which asks me to key in some numbers.

Guess they decided it was a waste of money paying people to man the lines when the law gives them no choice but to reactivate when asked.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Spent 140€ today to get a copy of Win10 Pro for my main system for an upgrade after DCSW 1.5.

As some other members I have a bad feeling burning my last Win7 key during a "free" upgrade.

You could have bought a new Win7 key - for 20% of the money you spent on the Win10 key.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

for those naive tin foil heads who think NSA thing was a tin foil event-even with all the open evidence and reality, .. here is how to stop Win10 from spying from you IF you do choose to get an upgrade..

google : windows 10 is spying on you: how to stop it

and click on first website.. it is plainly described the horror that is "free" win10..

an excerpt from Win10 Contract you agree to when downloading it to use:

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."..

but no worries right.. if you got nothin' to hide.. tinfoil indeed)) lol..

• Like 2

You could have bought a new Win7 key - for 20% of the money you spent on the Win10 key.

I had no success in finding Win7 Pro versions in Germany for less than 100 € :noexpression:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This really isn't a thread about if windows 10 is spying on you or not... it's about how well DCS and devices you use to play DCS works in it.

So far the only issue I have read is people with saitek devices (something they are working on). Everything else seems to go smooth for most folks.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

@Kaktus Thx for the head up.

Its right, that it isn't a thread about if windows 10 is spying on you or not. But its nice to all of us, to know how to protect your privacy and your files.

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

I agree, I am following this thread before I jump in the pool,,, I do still appreciate the heads up on the spying just the same. Quite frankly, I would not have even know of it if I did not read it here. Good to know about, and I appreciate the injection, but also I agree wit not getting to far off course of the subject. Thank you all contributors!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Any reports regarding the use of Helios would be appreciated as well,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Jesus folks, Microsoft is not a clandestine arm of the NSA. We've all been upgrading operating systems every 2-3 years for over a decade. If you don't want DX12 enhancements or other features, don't upgrade. There is no sinister conspiracy under foot ... at least until Area 51 goes active in DCS Nevada/NTTR. :D

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In USA, so Win10 free upgrade from Win8.1.

I want to chat with those who upgraded to Win10. Those on the Win10 upgrade experience. No foil hats please. I ran the Win10 upgrade over my Win8.1. The Saitek keys on my stick were not all responding. of course Saitek has no Win10 drivers. I could only re-install my Saitek X52 Pro Joystick drivers. After Win10 was installed as upgrade.

At first, I fired up DCS. it was crappy slow, and would not load. I rebooted, then it loaded fine after at least one reboot. Then, it started asking for a key for each aircraft. I just closed those windows after they popped up one at a time. I then closed DCS and ran it again, I flew online a bit. Then I think all is fixed. I hope. :joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

In USA, so Win10 free upgrade from Win8.1.

I want to chat with those who upgraded to Win10. Those on the Win10 upgrade experience. No foil hats please. I ran the Win10 upgrade over my Win8.1. The Saitek keys on my stick were not all responding. of course Saitek has no Win10 drivers. I could only re-install my Saitek X52 Pro Joystick drivers. After Win10 was installed as upgrade.

At first, I fired up DCS. it was crappy slow, and would not load. I rebooted, then it loaded fine after at least one reboot. Then, it started asking for a key for each aircraft. I just closed those windows after they popped up one at a time. I then closed DCS and ran it again, I flew online a bit. Then I think all is fixed. I hope. :joystick:

The key in this statement was "I flew online a bit". Logging into the Server

will help others who use this upgrade path.

After upgrading to windows10 log onto DCS Multi-player to avoid the dreaded request for a key every time you open the Sim. This happened before and was resolved by logging into the Sim. in Multi-player but I can't recall the error that caused this to be needed at the moment.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Mine works perfectly, but then again, I haven't done an upgrade, just a straight win 10 Preview install. And never had a problem with DCS due to WinX, Raptr on the other hand sucks.

I will install Win10 on my laptop in a weeks time I think. Free upgrades all round.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.

• ED Team

Please read before upgrading

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145683

wags

Windows 10 and Activation

Dear all,

For those of you moving to Windows 10, please note that changing your operating system is a significant system change and will require the use of an activation.

Before making such a change, please first de-activate your module(s). Deactivation instructions can be found in the Quick Start manual of the module. After then installing Windows 10, re-activate your module(s).

If however you have changed your operating system before de-activating, you will need to run the Reg file on this page for the module(s) you own and then reactivate: http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Problem_with_Activation

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

for those naive tin foil heads who think NSA thing was a tin foil event-even with all the open evidence and reality, .. here is how to stop Win10 from spying from you IF you do choose to get an upgrade..

google : windows 10 is spying on you: how to stop it

and click on first website.. it is plainly described the horror that is "free" win10..

an excerpt from Win10 Contract you agree to when downloading it to use:

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."..

but no worries right.. if you got nothin' to hide.. tinfoil indeed)) lol..

You know this statement is not new. Modern Windows has always been gathering data about you. You know what else does? Your smartphone. You know what else? Your social media accounts. Anything else? Your search engines. They even serve you ads based on the data they have on your or your search results. This happens every day.

This is all just a kneejerk reaction because it's a new OS that has its privacy options clearly listed and not hidden away *cough* Google *cough*.

To get privacy in this day and age setup a Linux distro and use a Nokia brickphone.

Strange, didn't have any activation windows pop up after upgrading from Win7 to WinX. Cool. :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Mine works perfectly, but then again, I haven't done an upgrade, just a straight win 10 Preview install. And never had a problem with DCS due to WinX, Raptr on the other hand sucks.

I will install Win10 on my laptop in a weeks time I think. Free upgrades all round.

So with this upgrade you are offered several install types? (i.e. upgrade/full)

using the upgrade path didn't require an activation?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

So with this upgrade you are offered several install types? (i.e. upgrade/full)

using the upgrade path didn't require an activation?

I upgrade to Win10 by Windows Update and DCS work fine didn't require an activation:joystick:

Strange, didn't have any activation windows pop up after upgrading from Win7 to WinX. Cool. :)

I didn't either. I was a little surprised, but in no way complaining!

I went with the upgrade path, FWIW. It looks like it (roughly speaking) moves aside your windows directory, installs Windows 10, restores all the registry entries and files for your profile and applications, etc.

Did a disk cleanup, hit the 'Clean up system files' button to get the extra options, and killed the Windows upgrade stuff.

I have TIR, Warthog, and Saitek pedals, but don't use any profile software for HOTAS or Pedals. All worked just fine after the upgrade.

I had my headset explicitly selected as my capture device in TeamSpeak, which complained that my capture device was missing even though it had an identically named copy in the dropdown list. On selecting the other copy the 'missing' duplicate entry went away and all worked fine.

And lastly I had to update GeForce Experience (automatic when it started) and NVidia drivers.

Edited by xaoslaad

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro (not a fresh install)

The good, the bad,

Good: I did not deactivate any modules, nor was I prompted to activate any. Helios, TrackIR, Cougar HOTAS and DCS worked fine.

Bad: the typical FPS benchmarking I do in DCS to measure FPS yielded (on average) 5 FPS drop?

So why the drop in frames? I don't know? I have been reading about increases, so that's what I expected. I also ran Furmark, which yielded just about 100+ points drop in score and a slight decrease in FPS, I also ran Heaven DX 11 Benchmark, which actually yielded a slightly higher score and a few FPS higher.

Any suggestions on what to look for that caused FPS drop? Thanks,

I made the switch over the weekend as well. I Didn't deactivate any modules and so far none have prompted a reactivation. But I haven't tried them all yet either. All my stuff works fine too, no issues with controllers or anything like that. I didn't have a measurable change in FPS with DCS or anything else. It also runs fine with RoF, BoS and Rome II.

You don't need to deactivate before upgrading to Windows 10??? I thought that would be a major change.

It's recommended that you do deactivate, just in case you are close to going over the points limit.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145683&highlight=windows+10

I didn't but the only one that required reactivation was the Mig-21.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip