Wheel brakes

wouter038

Im having trouble figuring out how to set the wheel brakes i dont have pedals just a twist joystick, and i tried setting the brakes to shift+rz for left wheel brake and control+rz for right wheel brake but it doesnt work well the wheel brake is stuck in position until i press both braskes and then release them. is there a handy way to set them up it would make taking off ten times easier.

Im having trouble figuring out how to set the wheel brakes i dont have pedals just a twist joystick, and i tried setting the brakes to shift+rz for left wheel brake and control+rz for right wheel brake but it doesnt work well the wheel brake is stuck in position until i press both braskes and then release them. is there a handy way to set them up it would make taking off ten times easier.

Before I got my X-55 with it's extra buttons, I rebound left and right brakes to Z and X on the keyboard.

It's basically impossible to use them with modifiers (ctrl, shift etc..), but plain Z and X worked really well.

1. i have these set to 0 and off.

2. yeah i do this too it locks the tailwheel right?

3. im having trouble even making it to their its impossible to taxi its just chooses a direction even with low throttle and i cant stop it with the wheel brakes because the controls are set very badly and my rudder is ineffective at those speeds.

Im sorry im not sure what im supposed to take from this, his controls are responding. when he counter rudders it does work? i know other people can do it i watched a dozen videos on it its just my controls arent setup right or are not responding as i want them to. i understand the theory aligning with the runway and locking the tail wheel and so forth.

Wheel brakes should also be available as non-axis buttons.

The brakes are only neccessary for taxiing, though.

At low speeds, the rudder is only effective because of prop-wash. Therefore, you need extreme rudder deflection at low speeds.

Press right-ctrl enter to see stick positions indicator. Check if everything works as intended.

My procedure:

-Trim nose heavy (or neutral, this way the tail will rise and you dont stall immediately)

-Straighten tail-wheel

-Pull stick back until wheel catches, no need to pull stick back completely

-Full right rudder

-Set throttle to 1.3ATA, should take about 3 seconds

-work that rudder like crazy, if the nose even thinks about going into either direction, quickly use rudder to compensate

-slowly move stick to center position as speed picks up, at about 100kph

-neutral stick at about 150kph

- you should now be riding on the main wheels with a flying tail

- wait until you are at about 300kph

- slightly pull stick back

- you are now airborne

- profit

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

Thanks that should help me out alot, only im already having trouble straightening the tail wheel.

the plane is very unresponsive to my controls and wont let me make small changes for aligning. It keeps choosing a side to turn towards on the runway and will only change after trying a dozen times.

The tail wheel authority seems to me a bit overstated in DCS (or at least the Dora and Kurfürst). It is a free castoring wheel, yet it seems to rather turn the aircraft than straighten itself out. This causes the airplane to get out of control quite easy when taxiing or landing.

Thus, when turning uncontrollably pull the stick back all the way and apply brakes in opposite direction of turn. As soon as the wheel is straight, even if turning, it catches. This should halt the turning.

You still have quite a bit of authority when the wheel is locked when applying brakes. You don't have pedals, so as a rule of thumb, keep the tailwheel locked whenever possible. Only when doing thight turns unlock the wheel. You will have to taxi with great care and always ready to lock the wheel and apply opposite brakes.

Callsign "Lion"

Here is how I do it, there are loads of videos out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPC8Pe0_CQ

And its not the prettiest a pilot I am not, but I have fun

Wheelbrakes are not involved in the take off rudder only. You can see my control inputs on the bottom left as well as in the video. As already said note how I am over 50% left rudder at start but have to lessen that smartly as speed builds.

As for wheel brakes I just use keys the standard keystrokes and have them bound to to a hat switch (until my new rudders arrive)

Wow Viersbovsky, how do you hold it on the deck until 300kph, you using any flap?

I'll need to give that a go, but I usually find she flies herself off and I have very little say in the matter. At that point I am just along for the ride.

Here is how I do it, there are loads of videos out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPC8Pe0_CQ

And its not the prettiest a pilot I am not, but I have fun

Wheelbrakes are not involved in the take off rudder only. You can see my control inputs on the bottom left as well as in the video. As already said note how I am over 50% left rudder at start but have to lessen that smartly as speed builds.

As for wheel brakes I just use keys the standard keystrokes and have them bound to to a hat switch (until my new rudders arrive)

Wow Viersbovsky, how do you hold it on the deck until 300kph, you using any flap?

I'll need to give that a go, but I usually find she flies herself off and I have very little say in the matter. At that point I am just along for the ride.

Just happened to find this out today when practising. Takeoff-position flaps. Trim nose heavy, straigthen the stick. Only set to 1.3ATA. The tail rises like in all those videos. I think it is about 300kph, it becomes a bumpy ride before long though. Key is trimming nose heavy (or neutral), standard trim is way too tail heavy.

Doing this, you dont have that near stall-out phase like in your video after 0:24.

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"

i know wheel brakes shouldnt be used during take off but im ghaving to resort to using them since i have limited to no control, that includes taxi, lining up and taking off. So yeah all of it.

i manage taxing but lining up is tough and take off seems sluggish.

Brakes are needed for taxiing but not for take off. The Dora has plenty of rudder authority. You don't even need half of its rudder range to keep it lined up at take off power.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

i know wheel brakes shouldnt be used during take off but im ghaving to resort to using them since i have limited to no control, that includes taxi, lining up and taking off. So yeah all of it.

i manage taxing but lining up is tough and take off seems sluggish.

Yeah, I guess there must have been some kind of misunderstanding?

Wouter038, rudder is useless during taxiing for the Dora and Kurfürst (the Mustang has the ability to link the tailwheel to rudder, meaning you can steer with rudder inputs). Only once you are at about 50kph you will see it gaining in authority.

So this means: When you are rolling on the ground, getting from parking area to the runway (taxiing) you will have to rely on the brakes. Rudder will be useless. Feel free to use your brakes!

Once you are on the runway, lined up and ready to go, lock the tailwheel but don't use the brakes. Rely on rudder during the actual takeoff.

Anyways, the Mustang is somewhat similar yet easier to taxi and takeoff in. A free TF51 is included in DCS World. Maybe you want to train in it first, then once you are comfortable transition to the Dora?

Callsign "Lion"

I know the rudder is useless at low speeds Derbysieger made it seem like i didnt understand it while i had said exactly that the comment before it. i know i need to use my brakes to taxi and its not working well i had it set up for z and x now and its painful. i know how to do it it just doesnt work well. now for aligning its really hard it wont respond well and i struggle lining it up for take off. whenever i get a decent line up which is rare i usuallly do alright.

I tried out what you guys said and i did it XD sweet i taxied using the throttle and rudder way narushima talked about. and used Viersbrovskies take off and it worked like a charm on first try thanks a lot guys. Now i just need to learn how to shoot down the yanks :D

Just happened to find this out today when practising. Takeoff-position flaps. Trim nose heavy, straigthen the stick. Only set to 1.3ATA. The tail rises like in all those videos. I think it is about 300kph, it becomes a bumpy ride before long though. Key is trimming nose heavy (or neutral), standard trim is way too tail heavy.

Doing this, you dont have that near stall-out phase like in your video after 0:24.

Thanks for the tip, that's really worth knowing.......Superb

I tried out what you guys said and i did it XD sweet i taxied using the throttle and rudder way narushima talked about. and used Viersbrovskies take off and it worked like a charm on first try thanks a lot guys. Now i just need to learn how to shoot down the yanks :D

Nah, now you need to learn how to land that darn thing. That's a whole new challenge on its own. Congratulations!

Thanks for the tip, that's really worth knowing.......Superb

It looks cooler and works safer. Happy to help!

Callsign "Lion"

Oh, 300kph is bull of course, I just tried it again. You need to pull at about 220kph, you can go up to 300kph but it is going to be bumpy. Once off the ground, the speed almost instantly goes up to 300kph, that´s where the misinformation came from.

Edited by Viersbovsky

Callsign "Lion"