incorrect weapons safety procedure on ground?

goodpoints

So it seems like the manual gives some contradictory statements on the subject.

According to pg. 127:

"Warning: You must never arm the weapons while on the ground: this is a precautionary measure to ensure you won't activate the weapon by accidentally pressing a launch button or gun trigger, even knowing the weapons launch sequence is blocked while aircraft is on ground (ground lock is engaged by landing gear in extended position)."

However the startup checklist on pg. 79/80 tells the pilot that weapons must be armed "prior the taxi procedure".

Without doing further research, I would guess with some confidence that pg. 127 is correct, yet in all parking lot/runway starts all weapons systems begin powered on/armed and the AI also arms weapons before takeoff. I believe I also noticed that the AI does not disarm weapons before jettisoning them.

So it seems like the manual gives some contradictory statements on the subject.

According to pg. 127:

"Warning: You must never arm the weapons while on the ground: this is a precautionary measure to ensure you won't activate the weapon by accidentally pressing a launch button or gun trigger, even knowing the weapons launch sequence is blocked while aircraft is on ground (ground lock is engaged by landing gear in extended position)."

However the startup checklist on pg. 79/80 tells the pilot that weapons must be armed "prior the taxi procedure".

Without doing further research, I would guess with some confidence that pg. 127 is correct, yet in all parking lot/runway starts all weapons systems begin powered on/armed and the AI also arms weapons before takeoff. I believe I also noticed that the AI does not disarm weapons before jettisoning them.

Yep, it looks like RV25 should not be in the procedure page 79/80 (checklist) - I wonder why RV26 is not in the checklist since RV25 is.

RV27 and RV28 will power up the pylons and RV25 and RV26 will power up the missiles and launch subsystems for missiles and rockets - not "arm" per se.

Only bombs need to be actually armed, using CL73 (tactical release).

Edited by PiedDroit
Misread RV25 and RV26 are both for missiles/rockets

Yep, it looks like RV25 should not be in the procedure page 79/80 (checklist) - I wonder why RV26 is not in the checklist since RV25 is.

RV27 and RV28 will power up the pylons and RV25 (for missiles) and RV26 (for bombs/rockets) will power up the launch subsystem - not "arm" per se.

Hm. Don't the Soviet IR missiles use either magnetic influence or imaging detonators similar to the AIM-9 though? Don't the pylon power switches ( RV27/28 ) enable the seeker heads and detonators? Pg. 43 refers to RV26 as the "IR/SARH missiles master arm power switch", I don't think it has anything to do with bombs. Maybe what constitutes "arming" is just semantics though.

Under the warning on pg. 127 though it describes powering on RV25 - RV28 and CL73 so it seems like that's what the warning is referencing.

Hm. Don't the Soviet IR missiles use either magnetic influence or imaging detonators similar to the AIM-9 though? Don't the pylon power switches ( RV27/28 ) enable the seeker heads and detonators? Pg. 43 refers to RV26 as the "IR/SARH missiles master arm power switch", I don't think it has anything to do with bombs. Maybe what constitutes "arming" is just semantics though.

Under the warning on pg. 127 though it describes powering on RV25 - RV28 and CL73 so it seems like that's what the warning is referencing.

You're right I misread, RV25 and RV26 are both tied to missiles and rockets.

Nothing launches when the gear is down i thought.

That's right but the manual states that IRL, as an extra safety measure the launch systems won't be powered on ground.

Because, you know, sh*t happens :D

Anyway I always power everything.

I only use RV27 and RV28 as a way to save some rockets (by not powering one pair of pods).

RV27 and RV28 will power up the pylons and RV25 and RV26 will power up the missiles and launch subsystems for missiles and rockets - not "arm" per se.

That's right but the manual states that IRL, as an extra safety measure the launch systems won't be powered on ground.

Because, you know, sh*t happens :D

Anyway I always power everything.

I only use RV27 and RV28 as a way to save some rockets (by not powering one pair of pods).

My thoughts were that disarming weapons on takeoff/landing could prevent an accidental detonation during a fire, crash, or gear collapse. I'll have to do some testing to see if it makes a difference as well as if disarming weapons before jettison helps prevent accidental ground detonation.

I asked today a friend that is an ex MF (the Romanian Mig 21 version) pilot about it and he said that when they had armament they were taking off with all armed. :huh: When I asked if wasn't a problem about safety on the ground or in the air he said that on the ground the gear safety was enough and after they were airborne they were ready to shoot. I think he meant that they were either on alarm or training for an alarm so they were not "playing".

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

• 2 years later...

In DCS, I tried "cleaning up" my configuration so I had turned RV26 OFF, RV27 ON and RV 28 ON. It turns out bombs (FAB-100 x 4) won't release unless RV26 is ON.

Is this the correct behavior? As I understand, the manual states it should be irrelevant.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

AA missile seeker head power and pylon power(s) must be applied before taxi as it prevents damage to the seeker heads. On the other hand the pylon power 1-2 or 3-4 must not be applied if protective caps are in place so pylon power also has an effect on the seeker heads.

My understanding is that launch authorization switch is only for rockets and missiles, not bombs and gun. The written procedure for bombing mission does not mention the launch authorization switch.

Armed release is either by emergency jettison button or pilot stick button if tactical release switch is in armed position. Unarmed release is by emergency jettison button when tactical release switch is in unarmed position (the pilot stick button not causing unarmed release).

Multi-shackle racks are emergency released without separation of the bombs from the multi-rack assembly. Tactical release separates the bombs from the multi-rack at the interval set on the rack unit before flight but retains the multi-rack. Emergency release with tactical release switch armed probably releases the bombs armed while retaining the multi-rack similar to normal activation by stick button.