DCS WORLD 2 PREVIEW – WWII AIR COMBAT by Chuck

uboats

In a preview of what WWII combat in DCS World 2 will feel like, “Chuck” gives us some impressions on his early access to DCS World 2…

http://www.mudspike.com/dcs-world-2-preview-wwii-air-combat/

Great article, and thank you so much for this @Chuck!!

Edited by BIGNEWY
name removed at rquest

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

Excellent!

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Can we not have the Pre-Alpha Version of DCS World 2.0 - and everyone who complain over bugs get a lifetime ban (until DCS World 2.0 is out of Beta)!?

EDIT: This is a ironic comment - but yes i still like to play it now - but i still understand it is still not ready for public play!

Edited by mwd2

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Can we not have the Pre-Alpha Version of DCS World 2.0 - and everyone who complain over bugs get a lifetime ban (until DCS World 2.0 is out of Beta)!?

Thats not how it works. First of all, if the product is suppose to be for a wide audience, a bug filled game would be amazingly bad press. People who pay for modules and never considered alpha/beta testing would be very upset that they have payed for their modules and can't use them to full capacity. And they would be right to be upset.

Not to mention that baning people for having an opinion is against consumer rights and that is surely not EDs intent to break those rules.

Alpha and later Beta stages are for developers to get those bugs sorted out. In beta usually more players or even in case of "open" beta, all players are able to help with solving those bugs. Its called a TEST afterlall.

I am sure ED has a good reason why the DCS 2.0 is not released yet and we should be pacient and wait. Programing is a hard work, especially with such small team.

I'd rather play a finished or at least playable product.

Edited by Solty
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Looking great! Oh man, can't wait for 2.0, it's like laser eye surgery from the future for my poor short-sighted Mustang pilot...:)

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I know, next time i put irony bracket around my post....!

You don't know how many people say what you said without irony and think its the correct way of looking at it :D.

Sorry:P

Looking great! Oh man, can't wait for 2.0, it's like laser eye surgery from the future for my poor short-sighted Mustang pilot...smile.gif

Yeah, maybe we can be sent to Europe one day and serve under General Doolitle and his 8th AAF, one day. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

• 2 weeks later...
${1}

Well, the graphics are somewhat pretty. However, their attention to detail is leaving a REALLY bad taste in my mouth. Is this all the care they're going to be taking with accuracy in W2?

The Mustang at 0:32 is supposed to be one from the 352nd FG, the Blue-nosed Bastards of Bodney, but the squadron code (QI) is from the 361st FS, 356th FG (the Martlesham Playboys aka the Blue Diamonds). Fuselage code QI-I was assigned to Capt. Edward L. Faison and Lt. Robert E. Cope on aircraft S/N 44-15101 and Maj. Donald R. Carlson on aircraft S/N 44-72436 and 44-73172. The entire code would have been on the fuselage. The individual aircraft code was not on the vertical stabilizer as the 352nd FG's were. Also, the S/N 44-14011, shown on the video, was from the 339th FG, 504th FS, was coded 5Q-D, and was assigned to Lt. Vernon L. Barto, who named it "Lou 'n Sue." Not only is that all wrong, but the Mustang shown at 0:39 has a number 3 on the vertical stabilizer. Where in the HELL is that from? It has a S/N starting with 44-14, so it's likely supposed to be the same plane as the first one, but they don't even match. The aircraft paint scheme is from one FG, the fuselage code is from another (and mis-located), and the aircraft serial number is from a third plane entirely.

Then, let's talk about the red-tail at 2:18. So far, I can't find any reference to a 332nd FG aircraft numbered "01." There WAS a number "10," however. It was S/N 44-15648, named "Lollipoop II" when flown by 1st Lt. Spurgeon Neal Ellington, and named "Duchess Arlene" when flown by 1st Lt. Robert W. Williams. And, there was a P-51C numbered "1" (not 01), S/N 42-103960, named "Skipper's Darlin III, flown by Capt. Andrew D. Turner.

Now, at 2:56, they DID get "Big Beautiful Doll" (84th FS, 78th FG, S/N 44-72218, WZ-I, flown by Col. John D. Landers) about 90% correct, so they CAN do it when they want to. But they couldn't be bothered to get ANY of the other US aircraft correct in this video? Is it THAT hard to pay a bit of attention and pay tribute to the guys who flew these for real? After all, men fought and died in these planes. Historical accuracy would be nice, especially since the game is all about showing detail. And, it would only cost them a few moments of their time.

/end rant

-Irish

Edited by O'Donovan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's the same with Luftwaffe planes, visual and audial fidelity seems to be a very low priority to ED.

But I can also understand the most likely reason for "it'll do", time.

No doubt DCS can ride simply on their superior flight models to sell, but I hopefully they won't ignore visual and audial factors out of indifference.

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

lol....... thats whats wrong with dcs ww2 ?? well thanks for the info, you should use that to your advantage and fix them yourself, IMO i hope no one else does; and spend their hard working time on fixing stuff more important.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Errr.... Confused about the "rant". Serious or trolling? Too long and detailed for trolling, but too absurd for serious.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I guess my lack of familiarity with the markings of WWII aircraft serves to my advantage, in this case. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I used to make scale models too (hope that I will resume someday this small hobby ) and I have to agree that the modelers community are very strict up to anger and hate regarding the historical markings. Colors temperatures, weathering, have to be exactly like the original. The funny part is that there are too few color pictures of that times and even those existing does don't reflect the real colors. :).

I am very amused about the american green cockpit color ( P47 for example) ... a lot of debates about this... but in reality that paint was made on the airfield by mixing a bucket full of black paint with other bucket full of yellow paint. Those were left overs paints and they had to use everything. Now, was there one single green color... I am pretty much in doubts about it.

However, we are humans, we need always to debate something.

DCS should focus on the game engine and flight dynamics. These are the main aspects which made it number one. I really don't care about historical correct markings, I don't want to create reenactements in this game. Those who desperately need this can create 100% correct skins by themselves (even this is not really true :) )

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

The Mustang at 0:32 is supposed to be one from the 352nd FG, the Blue-nosed Bastards of Bodney, but the squadron code (QI) is from the 361st FS, 356th FG (the Martlesham Playboys aka the Blue Diamonds). Fuselage code QI-I was assigned to Capt. Edward L. Faison and Lt. Robert E. Cope on aircraft S/N 44-15101 and Maj. Donald R. Carlson on aircraft S/N 44-72436 and 44-73172. The entire code would have been on the fuselage. The individual aircraft code was not on the vertical stabilizer as the 352nd FG's were. Also, the S/N 44-14011, shown on the video, was from the 339th FG, 504th FS, was coded 5Q-D, and was assigned to Lt. Vernon L. Barto, who named it "Lou 'n Sue." Not only is that all wrong, but the Mustang shown at 0:39 has a number 3 on the vertical stabilizer. Where in the HELL is that from? It has a S/N starting with 44-14, so it's likely supposed to be the same plane as the first one, but they don't even match. The aircraft paint scheme is from one FG, the fuselage code is from another (and mis-located), and the aircraft serial number is from a third plane entirely.

Then, let's talk about the red-tail at 2:18. So far, I can't find any reference to a 332nd FG aircraft numbered "01." There WAS a number "10," however. It was S/N 44-15648, named "Lollipoop II" when flown by 1st Lt. Spurgeon Neal Ellington, and named "Duchess Arlene" when flown by 1st Lt. Robert W. Williams. And, there was a P-51C numbered "1" (not 01), S/N 42-103960, named "Skipper's Darlin III, flown by Capt. Andrew D. Turner.

/end rant

-Irish

On the squadron markings: Most of the Mustang's skins are created in a way that a mission creator can, at their discretion change the squadron code, plane designation, and the last three digits of the plane by changing a single parameter for the unit in the mission editor. The editor doesn't in any way restrict what the designer can put in the box, so it's possible to get incorrect markings. It also happens that the default input for the box is 10, so you'll often see a plane marked 010 (or 01, or 10) if no one bothered to change the value.

There are specific skins which are fixed, like "Big Beautiful Doll" and others, that have the designations locked, but the rest of the skins are left to the mission designer to set. It's a 30 second fix if any are off, but it does require the mission creator to have noticed in the first place.

Edited by P5138

• 1 month later...
I used to make scale models too (hope that I will resume someday this small hobby ) and I have to agree that the modelers community are very strict up to anger and hate regarding the historical markings. Colors temperatures, weathering, have to be exactly like the original. The funny part is that there are too few color pictures of that times and even those existing does don't reflect the real colors. :).

Not all Modellers are that hyper-critical. Those who are have either lost the enjoyment of the hobby, or like to feel superior through bagging others. I build to satisfy myself, not others - albeit it is fun winning the odd competition...:smilewink:

As it is, the quality of the skins being produced by various DCS forum members is a credit to the community; I can't wait to see what people produce for the P-47D-30, because there were some stunning colour schemes on the "Jug".

So DCS 2 will be great visually, but WW2 pilots probably aren't going to find it very interesting to be flying WW2 planes over 'Nevada'.

Hoping that the very next release in this game is a WW2 based map and WW2 objects (correct AAA, vehicles, etc...)

These are my exact feelings. I hope that very soon we could see some screens of the Normandy map!!!

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2