DCS WORLD 2 PREVIEW – WWII AIR COMBAT by Chuck

uboats

On the squadron markings: Most of the Mustang's skins are created in a way that a mission creator can, at their discretion change the squadron code, plane designation, and the last three digits of the plane by changing a single parameter for the unit in the mission editor.

Read some great posts on this recently and found a great image posted by Whiplash

bortnumbers_zps2a571247.jpg

I know how to set these values in the mission editor BUT what I want to do is make a custom livery that defines all these numbers and codes using ARGS. In the description.lua of a livery you can add a custom_args table and set the ARGS to match the code you want. BUT you need to know the right ARGS and for the P51D there are hundreds of them.

Does anyone have a list of the the ARGS that manipulate the DECALS for numbers on the P51D?

I have some args for the BF and FW that change the numbers for them but they use a much simpler and more limited system.

Example for BF109 livery green.

-- from Bazar\Liveries\Bf-109K-4\description.lua
livery = {... as in existing green livery ...}
name = "green69"
countries = {GER}
custom_args = { [31]=0.6,[32]=0.9}

So DCS 2 will be great visually, but WW2 pilots probably aren't going to find it very interesting to be flying WW2 planes over 'Nevada'.

Hoping that the very next release in this game is a WW2 based map and WW2 objects (correct AAA, vehicles, etc...)

Yes i totally agree, personally i'm not interested at all in Nevada map, i'm waiting for something WW2 since a lot of time ,for an example the original DCS WW2 project with its Normandy 44 map and its period ground units which seems to be fallen and hidden inside a coffin right now, except for the FW190 and the BF 109 (just 2 planes)

and specifically i mean this one

this seems to be a dead project or some kind of vaporware

Edited by Simon1279

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

So DCS 2 will be great visually, but WW2 pilots probably aren't going to find it very interesting to be flying WW2 planes over 'Nevada'.

Hoping that the very next release in this game is a WW2 based map and WW2 objects (correct AAA, vehicles, etc...)

Yes i totally agree ... this seems to be a dead project or some kind of vaporware
Mates, really, do you read previous threads in forum? Normandy map is the next one after Nevada, together with Hormuz strait, and aircraft modules left by Luthier are coming along nicely. No vaporware at all, just we're awaiting DCSW 2 and then those maps could be here. Normandy will come with WWII period ground units, but if you what them now there's already available mods.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

According to the DCSWW2 FAQ sticky in this forum:

Normandy map, May 2015

The Spitfire IX, December 2014

P-47D-30, March 2015

Of course, all was subject to change. We're in September 2015 so it looks like we're a year or more behind.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Normandy map, May 2015

P-47D-30, March 2015

Of course, all was subject to change. We're in September 2015 so it looks like we're a year or more behind.

Looks like we need an update to the DCS WW2 FAQ, a bit like Sith just did for the 1.5/2.0 thread.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Normandy map, May 2015

P-47D-30, March 2015

If you can read: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=144353

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Normandy map, May 2015

P-47D-30, March 2015

We all know and we all wanted it the last year, but still you can't say it's vaporware just because you're out of this (DCS)World. Newsletters and Q&A vids are constantly released since a while, today we have a new Q&A, and all this stuff is discussed here and there in the forum.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Read some great posts on this recently and found a great image posted by Whiplash

I know how to set these values in the mission editor BUT what I want to do is make a custom livery that defines all these numbers and codes using ARGS. In the description.lua of a livery you can add a custom_args table and set the ARGS to match the code you want. BUT you need to know the right ARGS and for the P51D there are hundreds of them.

Does anyone have a list of the the ARGS that manipulate the DECALS for numbers on the P51D?

I have some args for the BF and FW that change the numbers for them but they use a much simpler and more limited system.

Example for BF109 livery green.

-- from Bazar\Liveries\Bf-109K-4\description.lua
livery = {... as in existing green livery ...}
name = "green69"
countries = {GER}
custom_args = { [31]=0.6,[32]=0.9}

This may be getting slightly off topic, but I've not seen the ARGS system before. Do you mean that it would replace the skin to an alternate file in the same livery folder based on the mission editor bort input or something like that? Or change the decal file to a different set of numbers?

Is there more info on this somewhere?

Indeed I can. No need to be rude. I'm well aware of the newsletters.

We all know and we all wanted it the last year, but still you can't say it's vaporware

You're confusing me with someone else? I never said anything like that.

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

This may be getting slightly off topic, but I've not seen the ARGS system before. Do you mean that it would replace the skin to an alternate file in the same livery folder based on the mission editor bort input or something like that? Or change the decal file to a different set of numbers?

Is there more info on this somewhere?

The information is all over the place.

ARGS (short for the programming term arguements) is how the DCS engine controls animations and sometimes configurations of the 3d model. Custom liveries come with a definition file called description.lua and custom textures if they are required. In the definition file you can modify the models default values by inserting a table called custom_args.

You probably don't need to know or do anything with custom_args unless you are trying to do something unusual or not directly supported by the Mission Editor. I want to use the custom_args for a specific purpose and that is to populate airfields with unique "Static" Aircraft. In DCS at the moment bort numbers don't work properly for Statics BUT you can work around this by creating special liveries for Statics that use custom_args to force bort numbers and other values to be used.

I can do this with the BF and FW because I know what the numbers for the ARGS that control the DECALS are. I can't do the same for the P51D because I don't know the numbers of the ARGS that control it's DECALS.

I can probably work the args out for myself ... but I also want to see if anyone already knows them. If someone is using the args directly - they are probably working on something cool and they are persons I want to meet.

Not you, YOU, mate :smilewink:. But the guy claiming for "vaporware" I answered before your post.

Of course everything is being delayed, but knowing precedents I can only guess how badly tough the work ED is dealing with is. The quality they're making us be used to isn't any easy work for sure.

S!

Indeed I can. No need to be rude. I'm well aware of the newsletters.

I was not rude, i was not sure that you have found the newsletter and know about the status of the WWII stuff.

If you would know it, you would know about the reason of the delay!

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815