Q:Things to know befor purchasing a Warthog HOTAS

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a Warthog HOTAS soon and I'm curious to hear from those who already own this setup. Since it is a pretty big purchase I was wanting to hear about your expeirence and recommendations if you had to do it over again.

i7-8700k 3.70mhz|64GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw V 3200|ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 8G GDDR6|AsRockZ390 Extreme4|2 Samsung 870QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860EVO 500GB|Corsair 750D|Corsair H-100i|Corsair AX750|LG 34GN850-B|Acer UT241Y|TM Cougar MFDs| Buddyfox UFC|TM Warthog HOTAS(Modified Spring/Slew Control Stick, Upgraded PCB, Stick Extension)|Saitek Combat Pedals|Corsair Nightsword|Corsair K70|TrackIR5|Custom A-10C Panels|

And I realize that I spelled before wrong. It just looked weird when I wrote it.:music_whistling:

i7-8700k 3.70mhz|64GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw V 3200|ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 8G GDDR6|AsRockZ390 Extreme4|2 Samsung 870QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, 1 Samsung 860EVO 500GB|Corsair 750D|Corsair H-100i|Corsair AX750|LG 34GN850-B|Acer UT241Y|TM Cougar MFDs| Buddyfox UFC|TM Warthog HOTAS(Modified Spring/Slew Control Stick, Upgraded PCB, Stick Extension)|Saitek Combat Pedals|Corsair Nightsword|Corsair K70|TrackIR5|Custom A-10C Panels|

well, I think I speak for all warthog owners when I say that this product is top notch. You will certainly not regret it! It is plug and play, all you need to do is assign the cooliehat buttons on the stick to the trim controls in DCS, since they are mapped to view panning by default.

I would also recommend getting an extension. There are several people who build and sell them. I got the 10cm black extension from here and absolutely love it. Get yourself some cheap box, fill it with something heavy, and screw your extended stick on it, you can then place it on the ground and have it between your legs, its an absolutely amazing flying experience.

I never use the TARGET software btw, it just works as it is, and its brilliant!

hope that helps :)

Very good product, with top notch customer support.

Parts are available long after the guarantee runs out, but you do have to pay around 50 Euros. It certainly prolongs the service life of the units. Switches and stuff can of course be obtained through your local electrical wholesalers much more cheaply.

I've had mine 3 years, and had to get 2 switches, and a main board for both the throttle and joystick. Without after sales, I'd have had to bin them 6 months ago. Could the reliability be better - yes, but at least they are fixable - unlike most other peripherals.

Highly recommended.

Great product but just like everything else, they do break. Yes parts are available but all things mechanical fail.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I put off buying mine for @ 2 years, which I now consider to be 2 wasted years! It is definitely worth the cost and you won't be sorry.

If mine died today, I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Just do it!

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

Thanks for the replies guys. It has been done! I ordered the HOTAS and Saitek Pro flight pedals. YAY!

Thanks for the replies guys. It has been done! I ordered the HOTAS and Saitek Pro flight pedals. YAY!

Good combination, you'll love it I'm sure.

Once you have gotten used to the hotas I'd recommend you consider a DIY project to pedestal mount the joystick or some system to fix it to the centre of your chair. Jokes and innuendo's aside having the stick between ur legs feels more immersive :joystick:

I put off buying mine for @ 2 years, which I now consider to be 2 wasted years! It is definitely worth the cost and you won't be sorry.

If mine died today, I wouldn't hesitate to get another. Just do it!

My exact thoughts. Wish I would've purchased it sooner! :thumbup:

OP - you can't go wrong, buy it! :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Good combination, you'll love it I'm sure.

Once you have gotten used to the hotas I'd recommend you consider a DIY project to pedestal mount the joystick or some system to fix it to the centre of your chair. Jokes and innuendo's aside having the stick between ur legs feels more immersive :joystick:

Yeah, I'm looking at making a custom desk with pull out left and right consoles. I also want to mount the stick on to my chair with a buttkicker attached to both the chair and the stick for feed back when I hit the GAU-8!!!

Also, what kind of grease are you guys using for the stick? Can you get from Pepeboy's or some other automotive shop?

I think the more recent sticks have a better record with stiction, so I'd not worry about grease until you encounter problems. A far better way is to get a stick extension, they really improve handling.

Also, if you have the resources, go for a better set of pedals like the MFG Crosswinds. You'll end up getting them later, so why not skip the inferior ones from the outset. I wish I had, I consider the Saitek pedals a waste of money.

So I just got the Warthog and I'm still at work. I opened the box and man, I'm inpressed so far. Just the handgrip alone must weigh like 2lbs. Can't wait to get it setup!!!!

Congratulations on the Warthog.

You shouldn't get disappointed. ;)

About your Saitek pedals, you should make one important modification:

Remove the centre detent.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73311

It makes a huge difference in usability, especially when making small corrections during gun runs or WW 2 aircraft take offs and landings.

I know it feels hard to open a newly purchased set of pedals, and I hesitated at first also.

But since I did it, I haven't looked back. ;)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use