Multiplayer (Arma3 Zues-Style) Editor?

WolfpackOfficial

Would it be possible in DCS2 to have a feature to create and edit missions on the fly in multiplayer? Similar to ArmA 3's ZUES? You could make it a slot that you can activate like game master and JTAC etc.

The reason behind this idea is so if you host a session with a friend you can create little scenarios on the fly without having to go into the editor. If you're familiar with ZUES from Arma 3 i don't really need to explain much.

What's everyone thoughts on this?

If this is in the wrong section, let me know.

"A solider should never fight because he hates what is in front of him, he should fight because he loves what is behind him."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't believe it can. I think priority one is dscs world 2, maybe in dcs world 3.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

And real world commander can do all that too can they?

ARMA3 crosses the line into arcade far too much for my liking, and Zeus, plus other things just add to that impression. Why not just design decent missions in the first place?

If this feature doesn't come to DCS World, I for one won't lose any sleep over it.

I wrote a little script for a dynamic campaign we play in our squad. The intention is to have similar function like I heard is available in ARMA3 with ZEUS.

With this script you can use the F-10 options menu to spawn in ground groups, when you need them.

-You can spawn predefined ground groups at the predefined position in the in ME

-You can spawn predefined ground groups in different zones

-You can spawn to a degree randomly created ground groups of different categories (like mech. Infantry, Armor platoon, supply/support ect) in different zones

Then you can use CA to give the ground groups orders. Playing the "Battle Master" you can react on the situation and spawn in ground AI, when and where you need them. This is surely limited and not as sophisticated as ZEUS, but for some purposes sufficient.

What you need to do is:

1- Initialise MIST in the trigger page

2- Give red and blue faction a client slot with the group name "Blue General" and "Red General"

3- Place template 8 ground groups for each faction in the ME and give them group names, which makes them easy to identify in the F-10 menu and name the fist unit of the group "__1stUnitBlueTemplateGroup1","__1stUnitBlueTemplateGroup2",...,"__1stUnitBlueTemplateGroup8" for blue side and "__1stUnitRedTemplateGroup1", "__1stUnitRedTemplateGroup2",...,"__1stUnitRedTemplateGroup8" for red side. Note that this has to be exact and don´t forget 2x_ in the front of the unit name. Set the groups to "Late activation" if you do not want to have the active at the mission start. You can spawn in these template groups in the same composition and position as you placed them in the ME or you can spawn them in 3 different triggerzones.

4- But 6 trigger zones in the ME and name them the following "Blue 1", "Blue 2", "Blue 3" for the blue spawn zones and "Red 1", "Red 2" and "Red 3" for the red spawn zones.

5- Create a trigger "ONCE"-"TIME MORE (2)"-"DO SCRIPT FILE ( LUA SCRIPT ATTACHED)"

In the script attached you can also set a limit to the maximum number of groups to be created via the script in case you want to play against another ground commander in RTS playstyle.

Now in game you can hop into the slot with the name "Blue General" to create blue groups or "Red General" to create red groups on the fly either on the predifined position or in random position in the trigger zones.

Maybe is some middle-ground, but I found it useful for the role of "Game Master". ;)

The randomly created ground groups composition and strength can modified in the end of the script. They are now more or less based on my idea of small scale operations and usually a mix of unarmed and armed vehicles of either Russian or US type, with a probability to have some SHORAD or AAA included.

JaGoG32_MissionTemplateCAAssistance_v7.lua

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

@NeilWillis

That has nothing to do with what a real commander can or cannot do. It is mnore of a matter of what the simulation can do. In a real world there are enemies everyhwere. You can't do that in DCSW. So you could work around that by just spawning the enemies where the player are, so you could give them the impression the enemies are everywhere.

I wouldn't call that arcade. Think of it as being an P&P RPG game master. You are the all-mighty guy that adjusts the world to make it fun and challenging.

You can do that (within limits) as a CA game master in DCSW right now. But since you can't do it all you are quite limited.

@NeilWillis

That has nothing to do with what a real commander can or cannot do. It is mnore of a matter of what the simulation can do. In a real world there are enemies everyhwere. You can't do that in DCSW. So you could work around that by just spawning the enemies where the player are, so you could give them the impression the enemies are everywhere.

I wouldn't call that arcade. Think of it as being an P&P RPG game master. You are the all-mighty guy that adjusts the world to make it fun and challenging.

You can do that (within limits) as a CA game master in DCSW right now. But since you can't do it all you are quite limited.

:thumbup:

It's also quite hard for a mission designer to know what strategy the players will use to complete the objective. If he planned the mission to last for 3 or 4 hours, and all enemies are destroyed after 1 hour, he could spawn new units to extend the mission duration.

A feature like ZEUS in Arma would make designing missions much easier, and playing them more dynamic.

Yeah, it isn't really the same. You can control all that stuff that is there, which is nice, but you can't spawn vehicles and stuff during the mission, like in Zeus.

Never knew about that sorry It should be possible to spawn stuff via scripts, Grimes will know:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree that this would be awesome. Since this would be a low priority in the freeware development cycle, I would be fine if it were a payware module where a module owner could jump in as a GM/DM and spawn/remove objects if the mission allowed it. The options to allow/disallow could be similar to the CA permissions menu in the ME.

• 4 weeks later...

I recommend everyone who can ... to install Arma and try Zeus.

There is nothing else like it ANYWHERE. Maybe Arma does not have the modelling on aircraft side of things as good as DCS but in every other area the technology is of the highest quality and ED and DCS players could learn a thing by seeing how they do they do it in Arma.

Multiplayer is a great experience. Radio is built in and is of a high enough quality for public server usage. AI people will criticise but if you ask critics to point to a sim that can do the same things better, they can't find one.

Criticisms of arcade are irrelevant because even in Arma it is up to the mission designer or the server admin or the zeus mission director and the players to provide the serious aspects of simulation. Truth is that for all the reality in DCS mostly it is used for flying deathmatch which is NOT realistic ... truly.

I love DCS ... it could learn many things from Arma to improve. To jerk your knee and dismiss the solid work of other sims is to miss the opportunity to improve DCS.

Just my opinion, you will have your own.

Edited by vicx

• 1 month later...

One of the benefits I would personally Enjoy doing with this mode would be when a friend needs some training in a set of aircraft. I could set up the flyables. and spawn in the enemies as i see fit. he wants something basic? throw in a few Urals. want to evade some sams? I'll throw down some SA9s.

all without having to continuously shut down the server and edit the mission. and restart the server etc.

Not to mention, as many of you have already stated, it would add whole new levels to dynamic missions. Without the need for ALOT of scripting. Obviously, its goign to be lower on the priority list, but I think it would be a nice feature none-the-less.

"A solider should never fight because he hates what is in front of him, he should fight because he loves what is behind him."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]