Setting Up My T.Flight Hotas X

Do you have TrackIR or any other POV solution? If not, then you'll need to decide whether you want to use your mouse for POV or slewing the Shkval (the TV screen on the right side of the cockpit).

Either way, you will want to assign one of the buttons on your throttle as a modifier. I recommend something that doesn't require the thumb so that your thumb can be used for other buttons. Modifiers are great because they allow you to double-up your commands. We'll start with the hat switch.

The reason a modifier is important for the hat switch is because with only a single hat switch, it will have to perform two duties: trim and either POV or Shkval Slew. Use your mouse for the function you don't assign to the hat. I recommend using the mouse to look around, the hat switch for trim, and hat switch+modifier for shkval slew. I think trim is more important because you need to have a trimmed aircraft before you can hope to operate the shkval efficiently. That said, you should do what is most comfortable for you.

You will want to assign the following commands to your HOTAS as well (some that are easy to remember are listed as optional):

• Weapon Fire
  • Weapon Select
  • Cannon Toggle
  • Cannon Cut of Burst Select (allows you to toggle between a forced burst or "full auto" while holding down the trigger)
  • Target Lock
  • Center View
  • Center Shkval
  • Laser Toggle (important for when you get more proficient and want to make multiple Vikhr attacks on the same pass)
  • E/O (Shkval), though this is just the O key so it's easy to remember
  • LLLTV (Mercury pod)
  • Phantasmagoria pod (optional; this is just 'I' so it is also easy to remember)
  • Next Waypoint (previous waypoint if you have the room)
  • Countermeasures
  • IR Jammer
  • ECM (optional; E so it's also easy to remember if you prefer the keyboard)
  • Autopilot override (can be quite useful once you're familiar with the Su-25T autopilot)
  • Salvo Mode (allows you to fire 2 Vikhrs simultaneously at a target)
  • Ripple Quantity (also selects gunpods)
  • Air to Ground mode (optional; 7 key)
  • Air to Air mode (optional; 5 key)
  • Shkval Zoom (optional; +/- keys)
  • Airbrake (b for toggle button)

You might notice I left of Autopilot and Shkval target size (among some others). Shkval Target Size you can set to 10m using the keyboard, and you will be hard pressed to find a time you need to change it. Autopilot toggle is "a", but there are separate autopilot modes (LALT+1 through 9) that are worth exploring.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Home Fries
added Target Lock & Countermeasures
  • Like 1

Do you have TrackIR or any other POV solution? If not, then you'll need to decide whether you want to use your mouse for POV or slewing the Shkval (the TV screen on the right side of the cockpit).

Either way, you will want to assign one of the buttons on your throttle as a modifier. I recommend something that doesn't require the thumb so that your thumb can be used for other buttons. Modifiers are great because they allow you to double-up your commands. We'll start with the hat switch.

The reason a modifier is important for the hat switch is because with only a single hat switch, it will have to perform two duties: trim and either POV or Shkval Slew. Use your mouse for the function you don't assign to the hat. I recommend using the mouse to look around, the hat switch for trim, and hat switch+modifier for shkval slew. I think trim is more important because you need to have a trimmed aircraft before you can hope to operate the shkval efficiently. That said, you should do what is most comfortable for you.

You will want to assign the following commands to your HOTAS as well (some that are easy to remember are listed as optional):

• Weapon Fire
  • Weapon Select
  • Cannon Toggle
  • Cannon Cut of Burst Select (allows you to toggle between a forced burst or "full auto" while holding down the trigger)
  • Center View
  • Center Shkval
  • Laser Toggle (important for when you get more proficient and want to make multiple Vikhr attacks on the same pass)
  • E/O (Shkval), though this is just the O key so it's easy to remember
  • LLLTV (Mercury pod)
  • Phantasmagoria pod (optional; this is just I so it is also easy to remember)
  • Next Waypoint (previous waypoint if you have the room)
  • IR Jammer
  • ECM (optional; E so it's also easy to remember if you prefer the keyboard)
  • Autopilot override (can be quite useful once you're familiar with the Su-25T autopilot)
  • Salvo Mode (allows you to fire 2 Vikhrs simultaneously at a target)
  • Ripple Quantity (also selects gunpods)
  • Air to Ground mode (optional; 7 key)
  • Air to Air mode (optional; 5 key)
  • Shkval Zoom (optional; +/- keys)

You might notice I left of Autopilot and Shkval target size (among some others). Shkval Target Size you can set to 10m using the keyboard, and you will be hard pressed to find a time you need to change it. Autopilot toggle is "a", but there are separate autopilot modes (LALT+1 through 9) that are worth exploring.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I actually have 3 modifiers set, but I may lower it to 2. I have my hat switch to look around, because I plan on using the F-15 the most when I get it, and expect to do quite a bit of air combat. I have it set to trim as well with the modifier, and I may use another modifier to slew the Shkval. The HOTAS I have has 12 buttons, not including the hat switch, and with 3 modifiers I can get 27 different functions, not including ones on the hat switch, programmed on the HOTAS.

I'll program the things you mentioned, however I'm very new to this game, and don't know what many of those things are. :P

Here's another thing (since you're into multiple modifiers): if you have 2 modifiers, then having both of them pressed simultaneously acts as a 3rd modifier. You can still get your 3x combinations that way. However, shoehorning too many functions can get confusing, so come up with a logic that works for you. I also forgot to add Target lock (or ground stabilization for the Su-25T), airbrake and Countermeasures; I've since edited the earlier post to add them.

Don't be afraid to use the mouse; it's much more responsive than a hat switch and is useful for looking around in FC3. Just put the mouse on the left by your throttle and you don't need to take your hand off the stick to use it. You're still going to need the hat switch for trim and slew in the other FC3 aircraft (including the F-15), so it's worth getting used to.

As far as not understanding all of the buttons, this is expected. Its why I listed them and provided a brief explanation. You will want them once you do get familiar.

Edited by Home Fries

Here's another thing (since you're into multiple modifiers): if you have 2 modifiers, then having both of them pressed simultaneously acts as a 3rd modifier. You can still get your 3x combinations that way. However, shoehorning too many functions can get confusing, so come up with a logic that works for you. I also forgot to add Target lock (or ground stabilization for the Su-25T), airbrake and Countermeasures; I've since edited the earlier post to add them.

Don't be afraid to use the mouse; it's much more responsive than a hat switch and is useful for looking around in FC3. Just put the mouse on the left by your throttle and you don't need to take your hand off the stick to use it. You're still going to need the hat switch for trim and slew in the other FC3 aircraft (including the F-15), so it's worth getting used to.

As far as not understanding all of the buttons, this is expected. Its why I listed them and provided a brief explanation. You will want them once you do get familiar.

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll probably use the mouse to look.

Also, considering I'm planning on getting the F-15 soon, should I bother trying to learn the SU-25T, considering ground attack isn't something I'll be doing often in the F-15?

I would just pick up FC3 unless you have no interest in the other planes. You get a good mix of air to air and air to ground (though no true multi-role in the bunch). You also get the original Su-25, which though it is more maneuverable than the T is much simpler in the avionics department. It's more challenging in many respects, but it's a lot of fun.

Learn the Su-25T, if for no other reason that there are more missions available for it (single and multiplayer). the 25T is currently the only flyable true SEAD aircraft in DCS, so it is often used in multiplayer missions with the other "hardcore" DCS modules.