PC restarts when streaming DCS

RyanBurnsRed

I have a weird issue regarding DCS. I can play the game just fine, but when I start streaming to Twitch with OBS my computer would just forcibly restart on its own. It has done this 3 times.

I've monitored CPU as well as GPU temperatures and they are both well BELOW critical ranges.

I can stream myself playing emulated PS2 games, both of which are heavily CPU heavy (in fact my CPU load jumps to 99% when doing this and temps stay below 60C) just fine. DCS is the ONLY game that does this.

Event Viewer shows Kernal-Power as the source with an Event ID of 41 and says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Any ideas?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and your PC specs would be....

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

What ver. of the Sim.?

That sounds like a Power Supply Error. Not maintaining enough juice kinda thing. Hard to evaluate this unless you have another one U could use to try and repeat the error.

Once a friend built a system and dropped a screw behind the mother board with out knowing, and it caused this error. also a power plug that's unused touching the case can cause this.

Is DCS the only program you run (for the most part) making it appear it is the only one that is suffering this? or you do use other taxing software or games?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Specs please.

Sounds like OBS is using up your CPU, along with DCS, which causes max TDP on CPU and GPU, which could be over your PSUs maximum output.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Sorry for not replying for awhile guys. I've been busy these past few days.

My specs are:

Xeon X5650 @ 4.0Ghz

12GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

GTX Titan @ 1202Mhz

Windows 8.1 Pro X64

It doesn't immediately restart when I start streaming. It usually happens after a couple of minutes or so. I've monitored temps like I said and neither GPU nor CPU go anywhere near TDP.

When my CPU is pegged at 99% when doing stress tests or emulating+streaming the Temps stay in the mid 60C range.

GPU in games like TW3, GTA V, ACU, and other heavy GPU intensive games stays under 70C when pegged at 98-99%

My system is stable....until I decided to stream DCS. While monitoring my system usage in DCS I notice that neither my CPU or GPU are even being used that much. My GPU never boosts itself to 1202Mhz and my CPU usage hardly exceeds 70% the majority of the time.

I've checked the inside of my case for loose cables or the like that could cause problems...all cables are secure and tucked away. I'm using the Steam version of DCS, so I assume it's always up to date.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried playing tonight without streaming and all three times I got into a server and started up my plane the computer forcibly reboots...so It's not a streaming issue. I don't know what the problem is because this hasn't happened before. It's a recent problem and is ONLY happening with DCS...

It's a shame. Looks like I can't play DCS anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Event Viewer shows Kernal-Power as the source with an Event ID of 41 and says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Any ideas?

While you're in Event Viewer take a look around for WHEA errors ("Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\Kernel-WHEA\Errors"). These could be indicative of CPU stability issues.

Turn down any overclocks you have and try to run sim again.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

its driver related, I can almost garauntee, or power supply.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I was thinking power supply...but returning my GPU to stock clocks seems to have solved my issue.

I'm not 100% sure if I've solved it 100% but I was able to play a lot longer now (just got out of a server I played in for like 20 minutes) where as the computer would restart itself 2-3 minutes after jumping into a server.

Thing is I find this really strange because my GPU when overclocked is stable in GTA V, TW3, and so on where it's pegged at 98-99% at 1202 Mhz. When monitoring it in DCS however it's hardly being used in the game...

In any case I'll keep playing with it at stock and see if it's really solved. Thanks by the way for all the suggestions. Time to keep my fingers crossed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Little bit of my recent experience, don't know if it will help but here we go...

In last couple of weeks DCS was just completely shutting my pc down. Now i knew that was power issue with gfx, but couldn't work it out why only on DCS was the problem. I put my pc under heavy load with ARMA 3 on maxed out setting to see it performance. Now my gtx 580 was under 100% load but temperature was around 90c steady, I was getting fps issues but game run fine. DCS on the other hand regardless of video settings was cooking my gpu under 5 minutes till it force shut down. Didn't really understand why my card was running BBQ when work load was under 60% (lowest possible setting or everything maxed out) with fps going around 90 or capped at 60. It just kept powering down.

Now the only hardware change that I did in last few months was getting USB card extension. I checked again if my psu can take on all components ( http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp ) and I decided to remove it and see if it will change things. I've opened my pc and BANG! Noticed that there is small amount of dust on card radiator, nothing big but decided to get this sorted. Put card back, boot it up, started DCS and no crashes. Under 85c temps rock steady.

To be honest i couldn't really believe that bit dusty card was getting molested by DCS (and i mean bit dusty, not clogged up like it was doing all hovering in house past 6 months).

Check if you PSU can run all you got inside.

Check four individual components failures (remove them and try running DCS)

Check your streaming options, overlays (even on other software you run), capture source (make sure that's its set to monitor 1 and not window). Also try running DCS before you will fire up OBS.

dunno

It might be many things ...

I was thinking power supply...but returning my GPU to stock clocks seems to have solved my issue.

I'm not 100% sure if I've solved it 100% but I was able to play a lot longer now (just got out of a server I played in for like 20 minutes) where as the computer would restart itself 2-3 minutes after jumping into a server.

Thing is I find this really strange because my GPU when overclocked is stable in GTA V, TW3, and so on where it's pegged at 98-99% at 1202 Mhz. When monitoring it in DCS however it's hardly being used in the game...

In any case I'll keep playing with it at stock and see if it's really solved. Thanks by the way for all the suggestions. Time to keep my fingers crossed.

GPU Stable during a Stress test by itself, and CPU test By itself.

Doesnt mean it's gonna be stable when both are loaded fully.

Normally DCS maxes a GPU and 1 Core of a CPU,

However running a Program like OBS or MPEG-4 Compressor to stream will use ALL of your CPU,

So when your GPU Sucks up 220+Watts in a Stress test while CPU is Idling and vise versa, nothing is gonna overload the Power Supply,

Now when you run DCS+MPEG4 compressor and max both CPU + GPU, You Suck a crazy ton of power.