Realistic Screen Size and FoV

Hello,

I'm curious to see if anyone might know the what size screen(s) to have in order to get the HUD and flight instruments at a size that is 1:1 as a real aircraft.

I would also like to set the field of vision (zoom) to what is realistic. (for that screen size).

With my current 1080p 23" screen I feel like I have to zoom in a fair bit to get a proper look at my instruments, but then i can only see a few at a time, and the amount of zoom feels very unnatural, meaning I am constantly zooming in and out in order to get correct amount of peripheral as well.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

In my opinion, it's a 42" 16:9 screen. Some may think it's too small but if you bear in mind that with one screen only you get about 45° of FOV at the right zoom that it's all the way in until all the Fire Pull Handles can be seen aling the screen

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

I recently went to 40" and although it is a large screen it is not too large. One positive side effect to the ingame zoom feature is that you have a better physical zoom as well :D

EDIT: And my god how beautifully it is to work in GIMP or video editing on this screen!

It all depends how far you sit from the screen. Double the distance from the eye and you need double the screen size to get the same FoV.

I suppose it might be useful to know the distance between pilot and cockpit window IRL. It seems a bit weird to me to see a simpit with a large screen but with what looks like 2-3 times the distance between it and the pilot compared to a real cockpit.

So if the distance was accurate, what size screen should we use?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I suppose it might be useful to know the distance between pilot and cockpit window IRL. It seems a bit weird to me to see a simpit with a large screen but with what looks like 2-3 times the distance between it and the pilot compared to a real cockpit.

So if the distance was accurate, what size screen should we use?

I agree, there doesn't seem to be much point having a bigger screen if you are sitting further away than normal.

I'm currently about arms length minus the hand away from the monitor screen - so I imagine it would be similar in a jet (so that you can easily reach all of of the instruments from a strapped in position).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

The benefit of a bigger screen is that you can increase the field of view in DCS, fill a wider part of your vision, and have it represent 1:1 what the in-sim camera sees in the cockpit.

A 27" (diagonal) 16:9 monitor is about 23.5" horizontal. If you place that 24" from your face, it will fill about 52 degrees of your field of view. You would want to set the in-sim FoV to that same 52 degrees so that you see 1:1 what you would see sitting in the cockpit.

If you changed to a 34" 16:9 monitor (about 29.5" horizontal) at that same 24" distance, it would fill about 63 degrees of your FoV. You would then want the in-sim FoV to match that same 63 degrees.

A 42" 16:9 monitor (about 36.5" horizontal) at 24" distance would fill about 74 degrees of your FoV.

In all cases, the cockpit frame and any instruments would appear the same size. You're just adding more screen real estate to the sides so you don't need to pan around quite so much.

Note that 24" from you is quite a bit further than a real cockpit's front panels would be, but it's much, much closer than the outside view.

The 50" 4K TV I use now is right about arm-length from me, I have in game 80° as my in game FoV for all aircraft. It seems pretty close to 1:1 and everything looks good and readable. Downside is... its not a cheap TV and needs also expensive graphics card to run all the pixels.

No longer active in DCS...

Kuky, do you also set your view angles in server.lua to get the FoV of 80° ? Or is there other places to set this? I have always changed the server.lua between each update but there have been radical changes in that file lately.

Kuky, do you also set your view angles in server.lua to get the FoV of 80° ? Or is there other places to set this? I have always changed the server.lua between each update but there have been radical changes in that file lately.

I set this in ... Saved Games/DCS/Config/View/SnapViews.lua file, which I copy from DCS main install (original file is called SnapViewsDefault.lua and I just rename it and change my FoV values for all aircraft)

No longer active in DCS...

I have a 47" LG and it looks great.

If you want to determine an accurate zoom level measure the distance between the middle set of instruments as in this diagram of the A-10C pit: A10CFrontDashDimensions.png

If it measures 5.25" on your screen then that's as close to real life as you can get. Then position your seating accordingly.

That worked for me.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I recenter TrackIR all the time. I have bound the TrackIR recenter function to NUM5 witch is also the DCS recenter and bound the NUM5 key press to a button on my stick. It works perfectly I think. On video it looks kinda silly when resetting but for me it does the job.

I set this in ... Saved Games/DCS/Config/View/SnapViews.lua file, which I copy from DCS main install (original file is called SnapViewsDefault.lua and I just rename it and change my FoV values for all aircraft)

Works perfectly. Why haven't I done this before, I've been playing with the SnapViews a lot earlier :) Thanks Kuky. Must spread.....

I have a 47" LG and it looks great.

If you want to determine an accurate zoom level measure the distance between the middle set of instruments as in this diagram of the A-10C pit: A10CFrontDashDimensions.png

If it measures 5.25" on your screen then that's as close to real life as you can get. Then position your seating accordingly.

That worked for me.

That has been my solution. Find a measurement of a spot in the cockpit and measure and make close to the same size.. It was easy for the F16 as I have the MFD's..

I did get the ABRIS dimensions and got that to realistic levels.. I have a very huge screen...

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Another thing that comes to mind is that if you're using a large 1080p screen set far away and with a large FOV to be able to see either side of the cockpit, the cockpit/HUD in the middle of the screen is only being drawn with a portion of the pixels, whereas with a smaller screen nearer and using a smaller FOV, so that the screen is just showing the cockpit forward view, it has the whole 1080p to draw it and then you can use another couple of 1080p screens to expand the view sideways.

Not so much an issue with a 4k screen obviously.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

-sniipage -

.. I have a very huge screen...

That's what they all say! :lol:

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That's what they all say! :lol:

hsb

Yes but in this case it is true

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2